2012-13 MIAC Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012-13 MIAC Predictions

Hard to imagine all of those player leaving Hamline. Rubelke for sure. His famliy works for Hamlilne.

As for St. Thomas, they are always the favorite to win the MIAC. They should be. They have the most $ and they are 3 times as big as every other MIAC College.

Westscout

Comment

I did not know that about Ruebelke. I'm sure he will stay if his father works at HU. It is confirmed that Nick Widing Hamlines leading returning goal scorer has already left school. Troy Hesketh will be a great fit on the ST blue line. Took a look at Hamline's stats. They also graduated their top 2 scorers and one of the best goalies in the league. The 3 upcoming seniors combined for a total of zero goals. Tough to compete in the MIAC with that. I was a little nervous because Hamline took the Tommies to 2 OT games last year. Now I just don't see them being a contender.

Comment

Yes actually, as being a friend with most of the players, I have talked to many of them about playing in both places and the ones I have talked with like Vadnais better due to the newer facilities, it is true that playing in front of your peers and friends is better but usually your student crowd depends on how well you are doing that season. So where ever you play unless you are winning the students tend not to show up. And for the free admission to games for youth Bell did that as well at the Coliseum. As for switching venues the final decision always comes down to the AD ($) but the coach has to set it up first, and with Steffen coming on so late in the summer I find it hard for him to be able to set up a complete college schedule at a very busy rink like Vadnais with in a month. Usually scheduling for the next season takes place right at the end of the previous season (Bell).

Verdugo being named the new AD is a positive thing for the entire Hamline Athletics program. He is someone thats wants to have winners and not just in one sport but all sports. I would imagine that he will put most of his efforts into the two programs that have had the most recent success (baseball, and hockey) right away. The more winning or successful programs you have the easier it is for all of the programs to grow and be successful.

Now the question is who will be the new Head Hockey Coach?

Comment

Originally posted by Tommyfan View Post
          I did not know that about Ruebelke. I'm sure he will stay if his father works at HU. It is confirmed that Nick Widing Hamlines leading returning goal scorer has already left school. Troy Hesketh will be a great fit on the ST blue line. Took a look at Hamline's stats. They also graduated their top 2 scorers and one of the best goalies in the league. The 3 upcoming seniors combined for a total of zero goals. Tough to compete in the MIAC with that. I was a little nervous because Hamline took the Tommies to 2 OT games last year. Now I just don't see them being a contender.
          if the transfer rumors are true good for UST getting Hesketh... But heard he was nothing but problems in the locker room and always in gpa trouble and injury prone. if he transfers there only look for him in the first semester, none during winter break (due to grades), and in spots in the last push of the season due to injuries...

Comment

PN We'll just have to agree to disagree on the rink issue. I only stated what several of the vets told me personally. And I don't see the good in posting negative rumors about any player. But I sure hope you are right on the other issues!

Comment

Any news out of Hamline? Have not heard any names lately

Comment

Depending on the new Hamline Coach I could see Augsburg getting better as well

Comment

I guess I'm not sure why who's coaching Hamline next season would have any bearing on Augsburg improving?

Comment

It does not. I meant they could both be better esp if Hamline makes a good hire. Did not word that well.

Comment

https://***********/?utm_campaign=we...84600018788354
                      D-3 hockey reporting that DelCastillo to be named new Hamline coach.
                      SNC Men:
                      Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
                      NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                      SNC Women:
                      O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Official announcement coming tomorrow. He met with team earlier today. Will bring overall stability, discipline and D-I experience to the Piper program. My guess is he didn't want to make the move to Brookings.

Comment

So he's going to move his family of like 10 kids down to the cities? How much does this job pay?

Comment

He will bring D-1 experience along with other not so good experience. It is odd that HU did not look into his not so distant past.

Good Luck

Westscout
                            Last edited by westscout; 05-08-2012, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Can't believe it we agree puckrfactor haha... I think this is a good move by HU like you said it will bring some much needed discipline that was lacking after Bell, and with his junior coaching he has a good pipeline for recruiting.

Comment

it is official.... this is from the HU website,

Doc DelCastillo is coming home. He grew up in the Midway neighborhood near Hamline – his mother worked at the school and his sister Melissa swam for the Pipers. And now DelCastillo takes over the reins of Hamline men’s hockey program.

A 20-year veteran of coaching at the junior and college level, DelCastillo was named today as the new head men’s hockey coach of the Pipers by Hamline athletic director Jason Verdugo. He replaces Scott Steffen, who resigned last month to return to his business interests after coaching for one season at Hamline. Despite having just five seniors and 10 first year players, the Pipers made the MIAC playoffs for the fifth straight season in 2011-12.

“I am thrilled to be getting back to Saint Paul,” DelCastillo said. “This is a great opportunity. In the last three years (coaching at Alexandria in the North American Hockey League), I have gotten to know several of the league’s coaches and had some of my former players play in the MIAC. I have tremendous respect for the school and the success the program has had in recent years. There is a very good foundation here to build on.”

Verdugo is pleased to have DelCastillo on board. “Doc has had considerable success as a head coach in the junior leagues,” he said. “He also has been a college head coach (one season at Alaska-Fairbanks) and spent several years as an assistant at top-notch programs (St. Cloud State and Nebraska-Omaha). He knows how to recruit and he knows how to teach players. We’re very excited to have him here.”

DelCastillo played high school hockey at Hill-Murray and four seasons at St. Cloud State, where he received his bachelors’ degree. Later, he earned his master’s in sports management at SCSU. In his senior season, he was the Huskies’ team captain.

Upon graduating, he worked as an assistant coach in the United States Hockey League. In 1994, he began a three-year stint as the head coach at Rochester, where he posted a 71-62-2 record. He returned to the college ranks for four seasons as an assistant at his alma mater and spent five seasons in Omaha before heading west to become the head coach of the Nanooks. After one season, he came back to his home state with the Blizzard, where he posted a 103-56-17 regular season record, including the franchise’s first-ever Central Division title in 2010-11.

“I was very impressed with how I was treated by Jason and (search committee members) Tim Ostroot and Steve DeBus,” DelCastillo said. “They’re classy guys. I hope to be able to contribute and add to what has already been built here.” DelCastillo assumes his new duties immediately. He met with the players on May 7 and intends to hire assistant coaches as soon as possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X