New Coach? I heard the same thing.

Westscout
      Hamline will hiring a new coach soon.

Comment

Re: 2012-13 MIAC Predictions

this is from the Hamline website...

April 10, 2012
        Scott Steffen Resigns as HU Men's Hockey Coach

Scott Steffen has resigned as head men’s hockey coach at Hamline University. Steffen, who was hired in late July 2011 when his predecessor suddenly resigned, guided the Pipers to 10 wins and a MIAC playoff spot this past season, his first as a head coach.

Steffen said he is resigning to return to his private business enterprises.

HU athletic director Bob Beeman said he was very appreciative of Steffen’s efforts and understood the reasons for his departure. “Scott accepted our offer to coach this past season even though he knew it would have an impact on his other business interests and family commitments,” he said. “But he’s a loyal Hamline alum (class of ’97) and he wanted to help his alma mater in our time of need. To that end, Scott has said he will help the program in the future in any way he can. I am very appreciative for all Scott has done and will continue to do for Hamline hockey.”

Despite having just four seniors and 10 first year players on the roster, the Pipers got off to a good start, winning five of their first eight games in 2011-12. After a rough patch in mid-season, Steffen’s team recovered to win three of four games down the stretch to qualify for the MIAC playoffs.

The position will be posted immediately. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.

Comment

With the news from Hamline, I would be shocked to see them have the SNC type recruiting class. Any idea who they are looking at for the next coach to be???

Westcout

Comment

Originally posted by westscout View Post
            With the news from Hamline, I would be shocked to see them have the SNC type recruiting class. Any idea who they are looking at for the next coach to be???

Westcout
            I've been hearing three names. First and most obvious is Scott Bell. With AD Bob Beaman retiring this spring, I could very well see Scotty returning as HC. There was no love between those two. Second, Bob Arrington's name has been mentioned quite a bit, even last year before Steffen was hired. And third, I've heard John Hill, the former UofM assistant and UAA head coach.

With Beaman stepping down, will be interesting to see who replaces him as new AD. I'm sure the new AD will have a say in the matter. AD candidates have all been interviewed and a recommendation has been sent to the President, but no announcement has been made yet.'

Indeed, very interesting times for the Pipers!

Comment

Any news from Hamline? Does not look like a good place to be right now. Would think they want to make a decision soon? Does it look like kids will transfer out?

Westscout

Comment

Originally posted by westscout View Post
                Any news from Hamline? Does not look like a good place to be right now. Would think they want to make a decision soon? Does it look like kids will transfer out?

Westscout
                IMHO Hamline IS one of the places you want to be right now. Steffen gone. Strong recruiting classes the last two years and great projection for this year. A young and very talented team. New AD (to be named very soon) who will give more attention to the hockey program. Some great coaching candidates waiting to be named once new AD is on board. Whatever happens will be a much improved and experienced team next season. Next two years should be BIG for them. Question everyone wants to know is will Scotty Bell return to the bench?

Comment

what has scott bell been doing the last year or so?

Comment

Sales. And waiting for Beeman to leave!

Comment

Where will HU be calling home this year? Vadnais again? Coliseum? It's a year by year question. Its not a good place to be right now...

Comment

What rink they play in is not a huge deal for many D3 recruits. Especially for those who chased their dream in Juniors playing in old barns and small towns around the country.The only reason they were at Vadnais Heights was Steffen. Ultimate decision will be with new AD but hearing that a return to the Coliseum may be in store. Good budget and close to campus. Better access for entire student body will increase attendance as it did when they were there last. Will have to think ahead on scheduling thought with HS playoffs, maintenance, etc. Look for the Pipers to have a VERY nice permanent home just off-campus in a another year or two.

Comment

Actually the move to Vadnais was made by Bell due to the Coliseum taking out the ice before the NCAA tournament begins making it impossible for the Pipers to ever host an NCAA tournament game at home if they were to be at the Coliseum. Also if you look at the attendance records for Hamline the past two seasons this years attendance was higher than last year, 4081 total with 510 average per home game (8) this season, vs. a 4721 total with 363 average per home game (13). So it seems the move to Vadnais was a good one for attendance, as well as it is a new building with a better locker room for the team. And the rink does matter when it comes to recruiting, players probably dont want to play in another old building that is so big there is no atmosphere with a small locker room they have to share with visiting highschool teams that come to the Coliseum to play Como.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it was AD Bob Beaman who made the decision at Steffens suggestion. BTW have you asked any of the players that were on the team where they would rather play? I think you'll be surprised. They are a bigger influence on recruits than the facilities. I don't disagree that the newer facilities are nice and all, but playing in front of your own friends and student body is a much more special atmosphere. Just ask the boys that played at the fairgrounds. Overall attendance may have been up at Vadnais but most of that difference was not paid attendance as Steffen promoted free admission for the youth players he trains thru his program. Audience was very stale as compared with Coliseum.

Speaking of the AD, I read where the Pipers' baseball coach, Verdugo, was named as Beaman's successor. Will be interesting to see how this impacts the ice hockey program.

Comment

I heard Troy Hesketh is coming to STU and Widing and Rebleke are also transferring. After that the returning roster looks like like a bunch of Jr.A no names and Jr. B players. Never good for any program when your top freshman leave the following year. Bottom line with Bell HU was a threat and the last guy had them competing. I think the rink is the least of your worries.

Comment

Originally posted by offside View Post
                                Who are the favorites for next season? Who will be the dominant players? Which team will surprise?
                                Tommy repeat!

2012 MIAC League Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X