2012-13 MIAC Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012-13 MIAC Predictions

Who are the favorites for next season? Who will be the dominant players? Which team will surprise?

Re: 2012-13 MIAC Predictions

I would have to say Gusties and Tommies would be my odds on favorites. But as is typical year in and year out, it will be a close race to the end. I don't believe there will be a runaway team next season. Incoming recruits will play a big part IMO.

Comment

I have heard rumors that Hamline has a St. Norbert like recruiting class coming in (minus the canadian part) with size, speed, and skill up and down it. Doesn't surprise me at all with Steffen and his connections to the elite MN hockey world, and that he does have a former NHLer on his staff along with an ex-Norbert player (which would explain the Norbert like class). If this is true, they made a good choice on a blue print to a successful program (SNC).
      That being said Gustie has to be the favorite so far with losing so little for next year.

Comment

Will be interesting to see who is new Hamline AD. Will have bearing on future direction of hockey program.

Comment

Originally posted by PiperNation View Post
          I have heard rumors that Hamline has a St. Norbert like recruiting class coming in (minus the canadian part) with size, speed, and skill up and down it. Doesn't surprise me at all with Steffen and his connections to the elite MN hockey world, and that he does have a former NHLer on his staff along with an ex-Norbert player (which would explain the Norbert like class). If this is true, they made a good choice on a blue print to a successful program (SNC).
          That being said Gustie has to be the favorite so far with losing so little for next year.
          Who is the former SNC player??
          SNC Men:
          Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
          NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
          SNC Women:
          O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by pete99race View Post
            Who is the former SNC player??
            Looks like it is Eccles.
            SNC: 2008, 2011, 2012 and 2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PiperNation View Post
              NHLer Gordie Roberts has been on the bench for several years now. Well before Steffen. Sam Eccles I believe is a grad assistant coach and Hamline alum who had transferred in from SNC. Not sure about his influence on recruiting or the SNC model reference.

Agreed on Gusties as favorites, but like I said earlier, not by a wide margin as last year with the Tommies.

Comment

Gordie Roberts was only on the bench this past season, he did however help in coaching the dmen in the 10-11 season for practices. Puckrfactor I am sure that you are correct in that Eccles does not have a huge role in who or how HU is recruiting, I was just connecting some dots if the rumors are true. As always the MIAC will more than likely come down to the very end of the regular season.

Comment

I stand corrected on Gordie being on the bench during games. I knew he had been involved in Hamline coaching prior to Steffen. I sure hope your rumors are true though!

Comment

The only teams in the D-3 who have SNC type recruiting classes, are SNC and Norwich. Hamline without Bell, will not be in the same league as SNC in any type of recruiting battle. It is not even fair to mention them in the same sentence as SNC. Finacial aid is the key to recruiting. The best places for Financial aid, will have the best recruits. PERIOD. SNC and Norwich have the best Finacial Aid in D-3 Hockey.

Westscout

Comment

Originally posted by westscout View Post
                      The only teams in the D-3 who have SNC type recruiting classes, are SNC and Norwich. Hamline without Bell, will not be in the same league as SNC in any type of recruiting battle. It is not even fair to mention them in the same sentence as SNC. Finacial aid is the key to recruiting. The best places for Financial aid, will have the best recruits. PERIOD. SNC and Norwich have the best Finacial Aid in D-3 Hockey.

Westscout
                      $$ Aide is a big plus for sure but there are other things that go into a where a recruit may end up..school,facilities,location,the town,friends etc etc.....

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                        $$ Aide is a big plus for sure but there are other things that go into a where a recruit may end up..school,facilities,location,the town,friends etc etc.....
                        ... established coach. See: McShane/Coghlin

Comment

Originally posted by westscout View Post

Westscout
                          Yeah it has to boil down to money because certainly the NCAA would never audit such things. Even if what you said is true, you still have to coach them (Coghlin, McShane) or kids might come because of top-notch facilities (Oswego).

Comment

Who said anything about being illegal?? Just because Team X can give out huge FinAid packages doesn't mean its illegal. And on the flip side if you DONT think Team X gives out huge finacial aid packages, then you're about as crazy as those who think its illegal. And yes, I DO know first hand that players choose schools (or more so parents) because of money. If all things were equal on the finacial side I would say it has more to do with friends, facilities, coaches, ect but its not. Sure some will, and some have, but with the wide range of FA packages out there, $$$$ has a lot more to do with where a player goes (once they pass the educational procedures). Some schools offer enough to cover books, some schools offer basic free room and board, others cover that and meal cost, some more, some nothing at all. And don't give me the whole "coaches don't know" crap. It's a very well known topic in the junior ranks on which schools offer what. While the coach may not know the exacts on EVERY player on his team, he is well aware of what the school CAN offer, he also knows what other schools CAN offer. But just because they CAN offer it, doesn't make it illegal unless it's just for athletes.
                            Remy Babineaux
                            remyb616@gmail.com
                            D3FHL Web Page

Comment

There will be a new coach in the MIAC next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X