Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012-13 MIAC Predictions

2012-13 MIAC Predictions

Who are the favorites for next season? Who will be the dominant players? Which team will surprise?

Re: 2012-13 MIAC Predictions

I would have to say Gusties and Tommies would be my odds on favorites. But as is typical year in and year out, it will be a close race to the end. I don't believe there will be a runaway team next season. Incoming recruits will play a big part IMO.

I have heard rumors that Hamline has a St. Norbert like recruiting class coming in (minus the canadian part) with size, speed, and skill up and down it. Doesn't surprise me at all with Steffen and his connections to the elite MN hockey world, and that he does have a former NHLer on his staff along with an ex-Norbert player (which would explain the Norbert like class). If this is true, they made a good choice on a blue print to a successful program (SNC).
    That being said Gustie has to be the favorite so far with losing so little for next year.

Will be interesting to see who is new Hamline AD. Will have bearing on future direction of hockey program.

Rocking 'The Stone'

Quote Originally Posted by PiperNation View Post
    I have heard rumors that Hamline has a St. Norbert like recruiting class coming in (minus the canadian part) with size, speed, and skill up and down it. Doesn't surprise me at all with Steffen and his connections to the elite MN hockey world, and that he does have a former NHLer on his staff along with an ex-Norbert player (which would explain the Norbert like class). If this is true, they made a good choice on a blue print to a successful program (SNC).
    That being said Gustie has to be the favorite so far with losing so little for next year.
    Who is the former SNC player??
    SNC Men:
    Four Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014..
    NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012,2014.
    SNC Women:
    O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

I never scored a goal backchecking!

Quote Originally Posted by pete99race View Post
    Who is the former SNC player??
    Looks like it is Eccles.
    SNC: 2008, 2011, 2012 and 2014 National Champions!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PiperNation View Post
    NHLer Gordie Roberts has been on the bench for several years now. Well before Steffen. Sam Eccles I believe is a grad assistant coach and Hamline alum who had transferred in from SNC. Not sure about his influence on recruiting or the SNC model reference.

Agreed on Gusties as favorites, but like I said earlier, not by a wide margin as last year with the Tommies.

Gordie Roberts was only on the bench this past season, he did however help in coaching the dmen in the 10-11 season for practices. Puckrfactor I am sure that you are correct in that Eccles does not have a huge role in who or how HU is recruiting, I was just connecting some dots if the rumors are true. As always the MIAC will more than likely come down to the very end of the regular season.

I stand corrected on Gordie being on the bench during games. I knew he had been involved in Hamline coaching prior to Steffen. I sure hope your rumors are true though!

The only teams in the D-3 who have SNC type recruiting classes, are SNC and Norwich. Hamline without Bell, will not be in the same league as SNC in any type of recruiting battle. It is not even fair to mention them in the same sentence as SNC. Finacial aid is the key to recruiting. The best places for Financial aid, will have the best recruits. PERIOD. SNC and Norwich have the best Finacial Aid in D-3 Hockey.

Westscout

Quote Originally Posted by westscout View Post
    The only teams in the D-3 who have SNC type recruiting classes, are SNC and Norwich. Hamline without Bell, will not be in the same league as SNC in any type of recruiting battle. It is not even fair to mention them in the same sentence as SNC. Finacial aid is the key to recruiting. The best places for Financial aid, will have the best recruits. PERIOD. SNC and Norwich have the best Finacial Aid in D-3 Hockey.

Westscout
    $$ Aide is a big plus for sure but there are other things that go into a where a recruit may end up..school,facilities,location,the town,friends etc etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by bakdraft21 View Post
    $$ Aide is a big plus for sure but there are other things that go into a where a recruit may end up..school,facilities,location,the town,friends etc etc.....
    ... established coach. See: McShane/Coghlin

4x NCAA Champs - Pride of the West

Westscout
    Yeah it has to boil down to money because certainly the NCAA would never audit such things. Even if what you said is true, you still have to coach them (Coghlin, McShane) or kids might come because of top-notch facilities (Oswego).

Member of the REAL Zoo Crew

Who said anything about being illegal?? Just because Team X can give out huge FinAid packages doesn't mean its illegal. And on the flip side if you DONT think Team X gives out huge finacial aid packages, then you're about as crazy as those who think its illegal. And yes, I DO know first hand that players choose schools (or more so parents) because of money. If all things were equal on the finacial side I would say it has more to do with friends, facilities, coaches, ect but its not. Sure some will, and some have, but with the wide range of FA packages out there, $$$$ has a lot more to do with where a player goes (once they pass the educational procedures). Some schools offer enough to cover books, some schools offer basic free room and board, others cover that and meal cost, some more, some nothing at all. And don't give me the whole "coaches don't know" crap. It's a very well known topic in the junior ranks on which schools offer what. While the coach may not know the exacts on EVERY player on his team, he is well aware of what the school CAN offer, he also knows what other schools CAN offer. But just because they CAN offer it, doesn't make it illegal unless it's just for athletes.

There will be a new coach in the MIAC next year.

New Coach? I heard the same thing.

Westscout

New Coach? I heard the same thing.

Westscout
    Hamline will hiring a new coach soon.

this is from the Hamline website...

April 10, 2012
    Scott Steffen Resigns as HU Men's Hockey Coach

Scott Steffen has resigned as head men’s hockey coach at Hamline University. Steffen, who was hired in late July 2011 when his predecessor suddenly resigned, guided the Pipers to 10 wins and a MIAC playoff spot this past season, his first as a head coach.

Steffen said he is resigning to return to his private business enterprises.

HU athletic director Bob Beeman said he was very appreciative of Steffen’s efforts and understood the reasons for his departure. “Scott accepted our offer to coach this past season even though he knew it would have an impact on his other business interests and family commitments,” he said. “But he’s a loyal Hamline alum (class of ’97) and he wanted to help his alma mater in our time of need. To that end, Scott has said he will help the program in the future in any way he can. I am very appreciative for all Scott has done and will continue to do for Hamline hockey.”

Despite having just four seniors and 10 first year players on the roster, the Pipers got off to a good start, winning five of their first eight games in 2011-12. After a rough patch in mid-season, Steffen’s team recovered to win three of four games down the stretch to qualify for the MIAC playoffs.

The position will be posted immediately. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.

With the news from Hamline, I would be shocked to see them have the SNC type recruiting class. Any idea who they are looking at for the next coach to be???

Westcout

With the news from Hamline, I would be shocked to see them have the SNC type recruiting class. Any idea who they are looking at for the next coach to be???

Westcout
    I've been hearing three names. First and most obvious is Scott Bell. With AD Bob Beaman retiring this spring, I could very well see Scotty returning as HC. There was no love between those two. Second, Bob Arrington's name has been mentioned quite a bit, even last year before Steffen was hired. And third, I've heard John Hill, the former UofM assistant and UAA head coach.

With Beaman stepping down, will be interesting to see who replaces him as new AD. I'm sure the new AD will have a say in the matter. AD candidates have all been interviewed and a recommendation has been sent to the President, but no announcement has been made yet.'

Indeed, very interesting times for the Pipers!

Thread Information