2012 UAA Offseason Thread - State of Confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012 UAA Offseason Thread - State of Confusion

It was? This was the first I had heard of Mellor and Pustin leaving.
    Go 'Wolves!

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
      That is not new news, it was posted back in March. Good news is Trupp is joining the team in a year. I hope he's half as good as Evan was.
      Evan was more than special... no one worked harder than him in college hockey. It will be fun to see if Hayden has the same work ethic.

Comment

Originally posted by seawolffan View Post
        It was? This was the first I had heard of Mellor and Pustin leaving.
        I knew a while ago neither one would be coming back, it just takes Doyle Woody a lil longer to take off the Aces glasses and catch up on UAA and put it on his blog.

I'm just glad both Docken, Coldwell & Karl are staying. They could be a good nucleus on Defense.

and welcome Hayden Trupp to the Program.
        Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

My thoughts from a year ago:
          http://www.anchoragepress.com/news/d...cc4c03286.html

And from this year:
          http://www.anchoragepress.com/opinio...9bb2963f4.html
          Lets Go Seawolves!

Comment

Originally posted by SAEMike View Post
            Well, it's clear that something has to change. And FAST.
            Originally Posted by aparch
            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Jay beagle got a 3 year contract with caps.
              Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by SAEMike View Post
                Have you submitted this to the adn?

Comment

Yay for Jay! He's one of my all time fav's from UAA.
                  I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Question for the Anchorage fans:

I am looking for a hotel in Anchorage, and I'm trying to get one with my reward points, so I'm limited to the Holiday Inn Express by the airport, or the Crown Plaza, which I think it said was in midtown. I have heard some, uh, not flattering things said about the Spenard area of town, and the website says that the Holiday Inn Express is in Spenard. Should I avoid the Holiday Inn Express? I thought it might be OK, since its right by the airport, but I wanted to get the opinion of some people that are more familiar with the area. Thanks!
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

The part of Spenard where the HI Express is isn't bad at all, although there's not much of interest nearby, particularly in winter. Spenard between Wisconsin Street and Benson Blvd can be a bit sketchy, but it certainly isn't the worst part of town. Most of the Spenard lore has faded into history.

If you're coming up for hockey, the Crowne Plaza is closer to Sullivan Arena, but you'll still need a car from either locale.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      Question for the Anchorage fans:

I am looking for a hotel in Anchorage, and I'm trying to get one with my reward points, so I'm limited to the Holiday Inn Express by the airport, or the Crown Plaza, which I think it said was in midtown. I have heard some, uh, not flattering things said about the Spenard area of town, and the website says that the Holiday Inn Express is in Spenard. Should I avoid the Holiday Inn Express? I thought it might be OK, since its right by the airport, but I wanted to get the opinion of some people that are more familiar with the area. Thanks!
                      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                        The part of Spenard where the HI Express is isn't bad at all, although there's not much of interest nearby, particularly in winter. Spenard between Wisconsin Street and Benson Blvd can be a bit sketchy, but it certainly isn't the worst part of town. Most of the Spenard lore has faded into history.

If you're coming up for hockey, the Crowne Plaza is closer to Sullivan Arena, but you'll still need a car from either locale.
                        Ok, we'll have a car, so driving isn't a problem, and I guess I don't really mind that there isn't much by the hotel, I'm guessing we'll be out of town sightseeing most of the time. Thanks for the information!
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Hey everyone! Most of you know me and I am still an avid UAA Alumni here in Lousiana (Shreveport). I got an email the other day, saying that the initial planning for the hockey arena is being initiated. I guess those guys at the Nerland agency really want an on-campus arena. They are looking at where to put this venue on campus. I asked Cobb if there is any chance of putting new ice hockey arena next to the new basketball arena, but he said there would be "no room". So, I have no idea where this thing would end up.

I agree, our hockey team needs a top-down scrub. I am tired of losing seasons. Also, as much as I LOVE UAA, I really think we should break off the UA system. I would even consider Alaska State University at Anchorage or something like that to distinguish us from UA. Also, you will be happy to note that we now are a PhD granting school. The western association accrediting agency granted us PhD rights about a month ago.

I continue to promote my Seawolves in the Pelican State!

Go Seawolves!

Comment

The initial planning for the hockey arena is being initiated. What exactly does that mean? I have been told so many things to "appease" me that I have become extremely skeptical and even cynical. I was told by Debbie Nerland that they were working on getting a student rec and wellness center on campus that would have a hockey facility for UAA.

However, before that can happen there has to be accress to Umed District from Northern Lights and Bragaw. They were hoping that the 2014 election MIGHT have an education bond that this facility could be a part of. The Board of Regents have different priorities such as a new engineering building slated to go in the Wells Fargo Parking Lot (with parking already a huge issue at UAA I can't see this happening!!). If and when the engineering building is completed, other needs such as a hockey arena could be addressed.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Suze, everything you are saying is true. However, the Engineering building will be built in the parking lot and a new parking structure supposed to be built on other side (north) of the existing engineering building on the corner of UAA Drive and Menard Lane. I have seen the artist description of that. Supposed to start building later this fall. The UMED road between providence and Northern Lights will happen too probably will be named Elmore as well until it hits Bragaw. I am thinking that the Hockey arena will be built on the corner of the new Elmore Road and Northern Lights when the new road is built. I think that is where the Nerland, Cobb and UAA leadership will ultimately want the building. It would be positioned SouthWest of the that intersection.

Comment

The incoming freshmen class is now listed on the UAA web site:http://www.goseawolves.com/SportSele...73&SPSID=58450

The blog is also back with two recent entries: http://uaafan.blogspot.com/
                                Upper Deck Fan

Comment

Working...
                                X