Marian University search for a new head coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marian University search for a new head coach

Any rumors on the search for a new head coach at Marian? I think this is going to be an important hire that will determine the future direction of the program. If they bring in someone that can advance the program, then it could really take them to the next level (something that I doubt would have happened with Wise) or if they bring in the wrong guy - back to the bottom of the MCHA. Something needs to happen fast....

Re: Marian University search for a new head coach

Wise was not the problem at Marian, just like Gregory was not the problem at LFC. I'll just leave it at that.
    2011-2012 NCHAMIACMCHA PICK'EM CHAMPION
    2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA PICK'EM 2ND PLACE
    THE NCHA -ADRIAN-AURORA-CONCORDIA (WI)-FINLANDIA-LAKE FOREST-LAWRENCE-MARIAN-MSOE-NORTHLAND-ST. NORBERT-ST. SCHOLASTICA

Comment

We're they ever cellar dwellers of the MCHA?

Comment

I think Jasen Wise was a great hire for Concordia. That program has a lot of potential, and needed a new bench boss. They old CUW coaches recruiting was virtually non-existent. The interview of Wise on the CUW You Tube page indicated that he will be bring in in top talent, and good student athletes. As far as the Marian job goes, I di not think the program has a great reputation. Some have said it is underfunded. Is that true? I am
        not familiar with the team very well. However, Wise leaving indicated the program was not very good. He seems to be a top notch coach. Marian should hire someone quickly, as it is prime recruiting time now.

Comment

Wise did a good job of recruiting - but his ability to manage the team was a little questionable once the recruits arrived. His coaching style paid little to no attention to defense and it showed when there offense struggled. His teams also had a large turnover of quality players (i.e. players that would have played significant minutes had they returned to the team) and this was a major reason that the team could not progress to the next level.

I do agree that they are going to have to step up the funding of the program if they hope to land a good coach and improve. Not sure they are ready to do that....

Comment

Please enlighten us as to their offensive struggles. We know that Dubetz had a wrist injury that slowed him down for most of the early half of the year, and the next most productive guy was the freshman Berger followed by some other underclasmen. I saw their scoring being les for those reasons, and the fact the other teams in their division had good young goaltending and improved defensive play.

Marian's defensemen were solid and the goaltending was also as good as before, and probably even deeper this past season.

What player(s) did they lose that would have made any significant difference in them barely escaping past Lawrence or catching Adrian and MSOE ? None come to mind right now.
            2011-2012 NCHAMIACMCHA PICK'EM CHAMPION
            2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA PICK'EM 2ND PLACE
            THE NCHA -ADRIAN-AURORA-CONCORDIA (WI)-FINLANDIA-LAKE FOREST-LAWRENCE-MARIAN-MSOE-NORTHLAND-ST. NORBERT-ST. SCHOLASTICA

Comment

I am a little surprised to hear people describe Marian as a "bad" program. They have always been one of the top teams in the MCHA and have had good success outside of the conference. Now they might be underfunded, but I certainly wouldn't call them a bad program by any metric.

I think Marian should remain competitive with a competent coach. They still have a good number of quality players. If the school's policies continue to allow their coaching staff to recruit heavily in western Canada, they will be fine.

I am also curious to see if any Marian recruits follow Wise to Concordia.

Comment

http://d3hockey.com/notables/2011/Re...oach-at-marian

AJ AItken (SNC assistant) takes over at Marian.

Comment

Marian upgrades coaching staff - hires A.J. Aitken from SNC!

http://sabreathletics.com/news/2012/...x?path=mhockey

Comment

Originally posted by goalcoach70 View Post
                    Marian upgrades coaching staff - hires A.J. Aitken from SNC!

http://sabreathletics.com/news/2012/...x?path=mhockey
                    I have an irrelevant question - Why do they have a panther in their logo if they are Sabres?
                    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                      I have an irrelevant question - Why do they have a panther in their logo if they are Sabres?
                      Sammy the Sabre looks more like lion here!
                      Larry Normandin
                      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by joeyc3402 View Post
                        http://d3hockey.com/notables/2011/Re...oach-at-marian

AJ AItken (SNC assistant) takes over at Marian.
                        A good, logical hire for Marian. If Aitken can bring in just a couple of good recruits, Marian should not miss a beat. All in all, I think these moves make the MCHA better.

Comment

Sabre Tooth Tiger would be my guess.

Comment

Working...
                          X