2012 Frozen Four: Union vs. Ferris State; Minnesota vs. Boston College

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012 Frozen Four: Union vs. Ferris State; Minnesota vs. Boston College

Seconded on wanting to post in Frozen Four thread... as a supporter of an actual frozen four team for the first time!

I think the fact that Ferris and Union made it this far is a testament to their teamwork. You can have NHL worthy players and not succeed, you need a team effort to win in the long run (Minnesota and Boston college are examples of teams that have both).

All four of these teams have worked hard to get here. It will be exciting to see how it plays out.

Comment

Pretty crazy that Union or Ferris will be playing for all the marbles...should be a good weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
        An all maroon Frozen Four. Nice. (It's close enough )
        There could have been two Bulldog teams in the race.

Comment

How would one suggest getting Frozen Four tickets that aren't at the top of the arena? I always said that the only way I'd pay a ridiculous amount of $$ for the frozen four is if Union made it, and somehow, some way Union has made it so I cannot miss this.

Is each school given a block of tickets to sell? Forgive me for being very naive with this whole process. Never thought I'd be attending this.
          LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

I believe that the Minny/BC game is the de facto title game with apologies to the folks in Schenectady and Big Rapids.

Hope I am wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
              How would one suggest getting Frozen Four tickets that aren't at the top of the arena? I always said that the only way I'd pay a ridiculous amount of $$ for the frozen four is if Union made it, and somehow, some way Union has made it so I cannot miss this.

Is each school given a block of tickets to sell? Forgive me for being very naive with this whole process. Never thought I'd be attending this.
              What I would do is just go and either grab some tickets at the window or grab some off the street. I could be wrong but I think there will be plenty of empty seats.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                We have the ECAC Champion against the CCHA Champion, and the WCHA Champion against the Hockey East Champion.
                Cool stat - didn't know that.

With apologies to Ferris St because I haven't seen them play, I did watch Union this weekend and I think people might be selling them short. I have the same butterflies in anticipation of BC as I had before BU and UND. Hmmm.

Comment

There can't have been too many Frozen Fours in recent years that even had four different conferences represented.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                    There can't have been too many Frozen Fours in recent years that even had four different conferences represented.
                    2003: Minny, Michigan, Cornell and New Hampshire.
                    National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by SerenFSU View Post
                      Seconded on wanting to post in Frozen Four thread... as a supporter of an actual frozen four team for the first time!

I think the fact that Ferris and Union made it this far is a testament to their teamwork. You can have NHL worthy players and not succeed, you need a team effort to win in the long run (Minnesota and Boston college are examples of teams that have both).
                      Yup, something was missing from teams like Notre Dame.

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                      I believe that the Minny/BC game is the de facto title game with apologies to the folks in Schenectady and Big Rapids.
                      Hope I am wrong.
                      I hope you're wrong, too. With one game for everything, I'll bet on the winner of Union/Ferris. You can't discount heart.
                      This space for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                        “@chnews: One team from each the WCHA, CCHA, Hockey East and ECAC for the first time since 2003 (UNH, Minnesota, Michigan, Cornell)”

EDIT: Rabid beat me to it
                        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by SerenFSU View Post
                          I think that the fact that neither team has any drafted players yet have had such success this season is a testament to what hard work and continuity can do for a team. While it is nice to have some names that are easily recognized and players you know are going to be the next big stars at the pro level, when you have a group that sticks together all 4 years, you have an opportunity to make a splash most likely once during that 4 year period. That is why it is absolutely vital that coaches for small schools like Union and Ferris put together well rounded recruiting classes. Both programs know they are not going to get huge names to sign very often, so they look for the less highly recruited individuals who fit the style of play that each program lives and dies by. Why go after players for your program who don't fit the mold of your offensive/defensive strategy? Leaving before your 4 years is up disrupts continuity on a team, and while larger programs can replace talent, smaller programs (Union and Ferris, for example) have a much harder time getting around that. It comes with time, and that's why you'll see surprises like these two teams in the FF every once in awhile. They might not get a lot of respect, but they have a whole lot of heart as a group. You can't get to this point without it.

And I'm sure there have been multiple instances that everyone reading this can remember where heart trumped talent. Good luck to everyone. Should be a great weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabid Gopher View Post
                            2003: Minny, Michigan, Cornell and New Hampshire.
                            Also 2010, (BC, Wisconsin, Miami, RIT) which I would say proves my thought; 3 in 13 years (I didn't look back any further than 2000) isn't too many.

Comment

Originally posted by bueller View Post
                              With one game for everything, I'll bet on the winner of Union/Ferris. You can't discount heart.

Comment

Originally posted by bueller View Post

I hope you're wrong, too. With one game for everything, I'll bet on the winner of Union/Ferris. You can't discount heart.

This ain't Mighty Ducks. Bring it.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X