X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML 2012 Offseason Thread: "If this is a dream, don't wake me!"

Visions of sugar-plums...
    Scott McLaughlin ‏ @smclaughlin9
    My very early HE tiers for next season: Tier 1- BC, UML ... Tier 2- BU, UNH, PC ... Tier 3- UMass, NU, Maine, MC ... Tier 4- UVM
    Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

• Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
      Visions of sugar-plums...
      I suppose there is no hope in flying under the radar then, huh?
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

UML RS Freshman Dmitri Sinitsyn listed as LV on the NHL Final Central Scouting Rankings ... meaning Limited Viewing, just because he hasn't played in so long.
        Last edited by UMLFan; 04-09-2012, 10:47 AM. Reason: Correcting Verbiage
        Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
          He wasn't even the best rookie in his conference, sooooo....
          LOL. Just like Jerry York wasn't the best coach in that conference last year, either.
          Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Brian Dumoulin signed with Carolina and Chris Kreider with the rangers.

Comment

I had missed this story the other day, but congrats to Chris O'Donnell.
              Monty

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                LOL. Just like Jerry York wasn't the best coach in that conference last year, either.
                "Best coach" isn't how that award is given out, so you're comparing two totally different things. York is the greatest coach in the history of the sport. That award is (usually) given to the coach whose team improves the most. If it was just the "best coach" award, York would win every time.

That having been said, Wilson was the best rookie in HE, hands down. Interesting how BC fans ignore the fact that Gaudreau dissapeared for three months (4-5-9 in 19 games from November to end of Janurary), and how he seems to come alive when he's on tv (see: Bean Pot, HE Championship, NCAA Tournament). Wilson was consistant all season, had more points, and was the bettter rookie.

Fact and science.
                Lowell Forever
                Forever Lowell

Comment

Based on how the HE ROTY is given out, again, no problem with Wilson winning it. Just like you shouldn't have a problem with the front page of USCHO right now as the award was given out including all games...NCAA tourney, etc.

As a freshman, nine points in 19 games isn't "disappearing". The argument that Gaudreau playing better in big games should somehow be a knock against him doesn't make sense to me.

Scott Wilson is a very good players. My eyes tell me Gaudreau is better. That's my opinion.
                  Last edited by J.D.; 04-11-2012, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                    Based on how the HE ROTY is given out, again, no problem with Wilson winning it. Just like you shouldn't have a problem with the front page of USCHO right now as the award was given out including all games...NCAA tourney, etc.

As a freshman, nine points in 19 games isn't "disappearing". The argument that Gaudreau playing better in big games should somehow be a knock against him doesn't make sense to me.
                    Personally, I think you said it perfectly.
                    Monty

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                      "Best coach" isn't how that award is given out, so you're comparing two totally different things. York is the greatest coach in the history of the sport. That award is (usually) given to the coach whose team improves the most. If it was just the "best coach" award, York would win every time.

That having been said, Wilson was the best rookie in HE, hands down. Interesting how BC fans ignore the fact that Gaudreau dissapeared for three months (4-5-9 in 19 games from November to end of Janurary), and how he seems to come alive when he's on tv (see: Bean Pot, HE Championship, NCAA Tournament). Wilson was consistant all season, had more points, and was the bettter rookie.

Fact and science.
                      Are you honestly telling me that you'd rather have Scott Wilson than Johnny Gaudreau? And are you chiding Gaudreau because he "only" lights it up in huge games?
                      Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

In my opinion, Wilson correctly deserved the HE Rookie of the Year, his production proved it. For the course of the year, including the playoffs, the NCAAs etc ... Gaudreau obviously wound up having a better season. I have no problem with the USCHO ROTY going to him. I do hope that USCHO corrects the CHA's mistake though and give the COTY to Bazin.
                        Monty

Comment

Honestly don't remember, but was UML picked dead last pre-season? I know they said FSU was picked 9th in the CCHA.

Comment

Honestly don't remember, but was UML picked dead last pre-season? I know they said FSU was picked 9th in the CCHA.
                            9th, IIRC.

Personally, I think Bazin got robbed because he had to change the way they played and thought which I think is more significant than a coach who has had his program for years. That being said, extended fighting over these awards are kinda pointless.
                            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                            Skating Friar Jersey
                            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Both teams were picked 9th in the pre-season poll.
                              Monty

Comment

Not sure if people here saw the NCAA Hockey, who's making money thread ...

But I've copied the original post and my response as well here.
                                Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                                After posting some BigTen financial numbers on USCHO.com this afternoon that added 2010 figures, I decided to see what all of MEN'S college hockey did for 2010. So I decided to get those numbers and see what they looked like. I got the numbers from the Equity in Athletics website by the Department of Education. You can find that site here: http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/

So I have the overall numbers. Then current conference numbers. Then just for fun I rearranged the conference numbers to show what it will look like in 2013 when everything changes.

Some notes on the numbers:
                                - This is just fun project I wanted to do. I can't officially tell you that the numbers are spot on. So don't complain to me about it. I am just giving you the numbers that I pulled from the website.

- I have no idea how or why many schools break EXACTLY even. Maybe they are just playing with the numbers or something. I really don't know. All I can do is just post the numbers I have.

- Two hockey schools do not provide numbers. Those 2 are Air Force and Army. I am guessing it has something to do with them being Military schools.

- I pulled what they call the 2010 numbers. Those are the most recent numbers available. Now I have no way of know exactly the time period for them. Are they calendar year 2010 numbers? OR are they 2009-10 school year numbers. I just don't know.

Some of my observations:
                                - There is little doubt that Minnesota is the big dog when it comes to money in college hockey. No one is close to them. MN made more than 3x the profit on the next closest team UND in 2010. They keep there expenses low for such a huge program and then knock it out of the park with revenue. It will be interesting to see how far the gap widens in future years with the new seating costs coming.

- The current WCHA is the KING. Profiting $9.5 million in 2010. Hockey East is the closest competitor with $1.9 million. The CCHA is getting killed by MSU, OSU and ND.

- The future WCHA will be a complete joke. The B1G and NCHC will be making all the money and Hockey East will take a hit adding Notre Dame if they can't turn their numbers around. I am guessing that with a new rink, those Notre Dame numbers will change quickly.

View Numbers

What are your thoughts and observations?
                                Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                                As a Lowell fan, the one thing I walk away from these numbers with is that this proves what many of us (Lowell fans) have thought, we have the smallest budget in Hockey East. The good thing for the Lowell numbers is that with UML now owning the arena (they didn't in 2010), selling beers and keeping all the revenues, having over 5k in the stadium per game last year, the profit should have gone up. Hopefully that means some of that money is put back into the program and increases the smallest recruiting budget in Hockey East.
                                Monty

Comment

Working...
                                X