Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML 2012 Offseason Thread: "If this is a dream, don't wake me!"

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
    Why do I feel like the effect of Notre Dame coming into HE is already starting to affect our scheduling?
    I agree Monty, Is this a preview of what will happen once they reduce the number of HE games and increase the NC schedule.

Comment

Also, just noticed we'll be Denver's home (and season) opener this year.
      Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
      2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
      2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Also, just noticed we'll be Denver's home (and season) opener this year.
        Speaking of schedules, I'm hoping CC and Denver will be coming to Lowell in 2013/2014. UNH is also heading to Colorado this season so it would makes sense.

Comment

Includes the Bentley games. Only one NC game left.

2012 / 2013 Tentative Schedule:

10/13/12 - Sat - Bentley
          10/19/12 - Fri -@ Denver
          10/20/12 - Sat - @ Colorado College
          11/16/12 - Fri - UNH
          11/30/12 - Fri - @ UNH
          12/01/12 - Sat - UNH
          12/30/12 - Sun - @ Bentley
          01/04/13 - Fri - Clarkson
          01/05/13 - Sat - Clarkson
          02/01/13 - Fri - @ Merrimack
          03/01/13 - Fri - Merrimack
          03/02/13 - Sat - @ Merrimack

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
            Wow twice.... hopefully that's a mistake.
            The Ryan in Watertown is an outstanding facility. Can't wait for that game...
            UMASS LOWELL RIVER HAWKS HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by jrobes01 View Post
              The Ryan in Watertown is an outstanding facility. Can't wait for that game...
              The JAR makes the old Tulley Forum look like a palace.
              Bentley University Hockey
              On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Honestly, nothing against Bentley ... but not only are we playing them once ... we're playing them twice!
                Playing Bentley twice? I think this is awful. Lowell needs to beef up their NC schedule. CC and Denver help but why Bentley?
                What did you say?
                Who own the Chiefs?
                What did he say?
                Owns! Owns!

Comment

Originally posted by gochiefs View Post
                  Playing Bentley twice? I think this is awful. Lowell needs to beef up their NC schedule. CC and Denver help but why Bentley?
                  I'm wondering the same. I like helping out the AHA programs, but playing them twice will hurt our SOS next year. I think this is just late scheduling hurting us.
                  Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                  2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

I'm wondering the same. I like helping out the AHA programs, but playing them twice will hurt our SOS next year. I think this is just late scheduling hurting us.
                    I've always wanted to play a tough NC schedule. But is that the best approach to make it to the NCAAs? Here's an interesting post by Mike McMahon from the Mack Report site on Merrimack's NC schedule. http://themackreport.com/merrimack-h...ct-6/#comments

Mike McMahon says:

May 2, 2012 at 12:12 pm

The non-conference schedule will always be a debate. Truthfully, bigger schools don’t want to come to Lawler. That’s how it will always be. I know they’ve tried partnering with some bigger HE schools to bring teams in for two games (one there, one at Lawler) and some seem receptive but it’s still early in those stages.

The bigger schools, especially the bigger Midwest schools, don’t want to come East, period. They would much rather pay a team $50,000 to come in for two games at their place, and not return the trip.

And, while I understand the desire to play the “bigger” schools, I’ve always been a proponent of scheduling a non-conference schedule that you think you can do well with. When it comes to the Pairwise, going 6-1 against ECAC and AH schools is going to always be better than going 3-4 against WCHA and CCHA “bigger” schools. It’s beneficial to win NC games, because if you do well enough in Hockey East, the league will always be strong enough to put you in good shape for a NCAA berth.

Two years ago – and I don’t remember the exact teams – but I took four of Merrimack’s NC wins and changed them to one win and three losses against teams that were “better” and the result was squeaking into the NCAAs as the No. 15 seed. Instead of being a No. 2 in Manchester, they would likely have been a No. 4, headed out West.

So, to sum it up, the problem with bigger schools are:
                    1) They don’t want to come.
                    2) They won’t come.
                    3) Is it really beneficial to play them? I’m not sure it is.
                    I guess I want it both ways, a nice NC schedule and an NCAA berth. It will be interesting to see what the NC schedule looks like in another year when there will probably be 5 more NC games to schedule.

Comment

Yes, but.... We aren't saying schedule michigan or Miami... There are plenty of mid level teams out there (Mankato)... Speaking of them... Do they owe us a trip or did we play that already?
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

but UML and Merrimack really can't be compared though Mike's take is ,i think accurate, for Merrimack. You guys have a great facility that is a draw while it's a (or THE) reason the "big" schools don't want to go to Merrimack

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                          Yes, but.... We aren't saying schedule michigan or Miami... There are plenty of mid level teams out there (Mankato)... Speaking of them... Do they owe us a trip or did we play that already?
                          Mankato already came here during the season we would all like to forget.
                          What did you say?
                          Who own the Chiefs?
                          What did he say?
                          Owns! Owns!

Comment

Is anyone going to the Tsongas Thursday night?

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                              Is anyone going to the Tsongas Thursday night?
                              Yeah, I'll be going. Was curious about that as well.
                              Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                              Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                              "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                              KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Originally posted by Go-UML View Post
                                Yeah, I'll be going. Was curious about that as well.
                                I forgot to pay before April ended.
                                Monty

Comment

Working...
                                X