UML 2012 Offseason Thread: "If this is a dream, don't wake me!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UML 2012 Offseason Thread: "If this is a dream, don't wake me!"

I'm so very happy with how this season played out.

Now the expectations rise.

4 seniors who all gave their hearts for this program, and happily (for them and for us) left this program on a higher note than they came in. Now the team has to pick up where they left off, and make next season be just as (if not more) memorable.

At least 9 freshmen are coming in to take the four open spots, meaning that most likely, we're losing a couple of others players as well. Mr. Doug Carr will only be a junior. Wilson will only be a soph, as will Kamrass, Buco, Wallin, Suter and others. Wetmore will be a senior. Holmstrom a junior, same with Arnold, Ruhwedel and Pendenza.

For the first time in years, the future for Lowell looks phenomenal.

Is it October yet?
    Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Re: UML 2012 Offseason Thread: "If this is a dream, don't wake me!"

Jake Suter for President! He was awesome this yr!

Comment

If this message board had a "Like" button a la Facebook, I would have clicked the button about 20 times on this post...

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
      I'm so very happy with how this season played out.

Now the expectations rise.

4 seniors who all gave their hearts for this program, and happily (for them and for us) left this program on a higher note than they came in. Now the team has to pick up where they left off, and make next season be just as (if not more) memorable.

At least 9 freshmen are coming in to take the four open spots, meaning that most likely, we're losing a couple of others players as well. Mr. Doug Carr will only be a junior. Wilson will only be a soph, as will Kamrass, Buco, Wallin, Suter and others. Wetmore will be a senior. Holmstrom a junior, same with Arnold, Ruhwedel and Pendenza.

For the first time in years, the future for Lowell looks phenomenal.

Is it October yet?
      Lowell season ticket holder for (gulp) 27 years....

"Character is destiny" S. Freud

Comment

I'm not ready to let go of last season yet.

---

I see no reason next year can't be similarly successful... 2-5th w/ NCAAs in play... possibly 6-7th if they hit a poor patch or two. We've got a few guys with room to improve in the off-season. I hope coach has them well ready for the off-season. I was rather unhappy how the 08-09 team transitioned to the 09-10 team... considering how much they returned they should have been a lot better even off the start... don't know how much of that is 6 months between games or the off-season. (edit: I mean off-season prep versus not being in game rhythm.)

Things that need to occur. Stamina and strength. This team had a terrible time playing 3 games in any short time period. They also had trouble with any team with size. Lots of hard work this off-season should pay dividends. My uninformed opinion at this point says a lot of weights and a lot of dead animals (protein). Zoo animals should sense some amount of inexplicable terror as you walk by... the butcher should know your grandparents on a first name basis. There's a lot to improve on and becoming more physically impressive will surely help out.

Those are my thoughts... I also wonder what another year of instruction at Bazin's hands will do... I know some of mentioned about wondering what the "Bazin player" or "Bazin team" looks like. I'd love to see this group with a bit more polish on them. Our team is certainly not a team that's winning a national title... but add some polish and we turn dangerous into damaging. The top teams... and even our 08-09 team walk with the confidence knowing their plays are going to work and they'll be able to execute. That kind of confidence can go a long way.
        Last edited by Patman; 03-25-2012, 09:18 PM.
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Bringing a couple of posts from the season thread into this one.

Originally posted by WisemanFromUmass-Lowell View Post
          But part of me really wants to know..... Anyone want to guess what Blaise is thinking these days? :-D
          He actually had a really nice tweet about Lowell on Friday night after the win.
          Originally posted by aznman08 View Post
          Can finally retire this easy button, dont know how it managed to get through this year without casuality
          To you and the other students ... just a great job. Hopefully that continues next season, but with even more students included in.
          Originally posted by WisemanFromUmass-Lowell View Post
          If this message board had a "Like" button a la Facebook, I would have clicked the button about 20 times on this post...
          Thanks.
          Originally posted by Patman View Post
          Things that need to occur. Stamina and strength. This team had a terrible time playing 3 games in any short time period. They also had trouble with any team with size. Lots of hard work this off-season should pay dividends.
          This was the first time many of these guys played such an aggressive system, and you could see that putting in 60 minutes of attacking hockey was tiring them out. Conditioning is a huge huge key for next year.

I do like that, other than McGrath, every player coming in next year is at least 6' tall. That should hopefully also compensate for the size issues we had against the bigger teams this season.
          Originally posted by Patman View Post
          Those are my thoughts... I also wonder what another year of instruction at Bazin's hands will do... I know some of mentioned about wondering what the "Bazin player" or "Bazin team" looks like. I'd love to see this group with a bit more polish on them.
          It will be interesting to see where this program stands four years from now, when every player is a Bazin recruit.
          Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
          2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Bringing this over from the recruiting thread ... here's what we're looking at (currently) for the 2012/2013 roster. This roster is really large now, so I do expect to see some players leaving.

Here's where the UML roster stands as of today for next season, based on the assumption that all the players that could come in either 2012 or 2013 will come in 2013:

Defense (11):
            Senior: Malcolm Lyles
            Juniors: Daniel Furlong, Joe Houk (RS), Chad Ruhwedel
            Sophomores: William Eiserman, Zach Kamrass, Micki Mihailovich, Jake Suter
            Freshmen: Greg Amlong, Christian Folin, Dmitri Sinitsyn (RS)

Forwards (18):
            Seniors: Riley Wetmore, Colin Wright
            Juniors: Derek Arnold, Josh Holmstrom, Derek McCoy, Joe Pendanza, Shayne Thompson
            Sophomores: Tyler Brickler, Stephen Buco, Mike Conderman, Terrence Wallin, Scott Wilson
            Freshmen: Adam Chapie, Mike Colantone, Michael Fallon, Logan Johston, Ryan McGrath, Dylan Shapiro

Goalies (4):
            Juniors: Marc Boulanger, Doug Carr
            Sophomores: Brian Robbins
            Freshman: Connor Hellebuyck

So at this point, that leaves us at 33 on the roster. That's just a huge number. I stated this the other day, but I can see Boulanger also leaving. I'm not basing this on anything but that there's no point in having 4 goalies on your roster.

Assuming no one leaves, the class breakdown for 2012 then would be:
            Seniors: 3
            Juniors: 10
            Sophomores: 10
            Freshmen: 10
            Monty

Comment

Bringing this over from the recruiting thread ... here's what we're looking at (currently) for the 2012/2013 roster. This roster is really large now, so I do expect to see some players leaving.
              It's just speculating at this point, but I agree, you assume one of the goalies is the odd man out. Could also see a D or a couple of F no longer being with the team
              Lowell Forever
              Forever Lowell

Comment

Nice article in CHN about the Hawks.

Also, I hadn't heard this before, but Chaz had this on his blog.
                Originally posted by Miami Coach Enrico Blasi
                They play with such passion and aggressiveness. That tells me the players respect him and play for him. I suspect UMass Lowell will be on the national stage not just this year but for years to come.
                Monty

Comment

Nice article in CHN about the Hawks.

Also, I hadn't heard this before, but Chaz had this on his blog.
                  Interesting comments by Chaz... have we reached the point where there's enough resource parity and talent parity that the main factor is obtaining the right staff? Or is it just the parity is within the game all on its own?
                  Last edited by Patman; 03-26-2012, 02:24 PM.
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

You guys have to find a way to avoid Nate Leaman.....PC got you in Hockey East then Union did it in the NCAAs

Comment

Looking forward: Some information from the Bangor Daily News.

Four-on-four overtime in college hockey is a strong possibility.
                      I would prefer to keep it 5x5 and increase the the OT period from 5 to 7 or 10 minutes.

Another (dated) article on possible changes to the Hockey East playoff format in 2013-2014. The article also mentions how Maine is looking to fill their increased NC schedule with some non league games with other HE teams. I wonder if Lowell will do the same thing.

Comment

Enjoyed watching your team in person this weekend, reminded me of Yale last year, fast and an eye for the net. Union is too much of a defensive beast this year. I was totally impressed with the way the Lowell fans won over the cute ice shoveler. I mentioned it on the ECAC tourney thread and now they want pictures, can anyone oblige? Except for the outcome, I thought Bridgeport did a good job this weekend. Keep up the good work.
                        YALE HOCKEY
                        2013 National Champions

Comment

I think the theme for 2012-2013 should be along the lines of "unfinished business" or something like that...taking care of unfinished business in both the HE and NCAA tournaments.
                          Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
                          Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
                          Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
                            I think the theme for 2012-2013 should be along the lines of "unfinished business" or something like that...taking care of unfinished business in both the HE and NCAA tournaments.
                            Yale used that last year and will probably never use it again after the infamous O'Neill hit
                            YALE HOCKEY
                            2013 National Champions

Comment

More Honors for Bazin, Wilson, and Carr: http://www.goriverhawks.com/sports/m...032712aaa.html
                              Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                              "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Working...
                              X