Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More proof that the Regional system is a disaster: Today's attendance at the X is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: More proof that the Regional system is a disaster: Today's attendance at the X is

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    I'm confused how games at Mariucci or REA (or anywhere else for that matter) would have drawn more fans all thing considered equal.
    I'm not sure they would if the prices stay the same. We had the regional here in Madison a few years ago with Princeton, Denver, Nodak and ourselves.

If I remember correctly, they didn't even open the 300s. Most of the people that I know who didn't go cited the price.

I went, but if we hadn't been in it, I wouldn't have spent that much.

For most people, take the ticket price and multiply it by either 2 (take wife/date) or 4 (take family). $240 to take the family to some hockey games that I can watch at home? No way.

Hell, even if they weren't on TV, no way. And I'm a college hockey fan. How can anyone expect the general public to pay?

Comment

Originally posted by MUnRPI View Post
      That's a good idea. When demand is higher than the attendance limit that creates excitement! Why are we trying to mold college hockey into something that it is not?
      The NCAA doesn't want to give that big of an advantage to the home team, and I agree with them. The locations aren't the problem.
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Re: More proof that the Regional system is a disaster: Today's attendance at the X is

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
        What do we do when a 3,000 seat arena team warrants a home game and 2,000 of those seats are owned by season ticket holders? How do we account for the loss in total revenue when you actually limit attendance even if demand is higher. Do we make each D-1 team specify a rink of 5,000 or greater capacity as a home playoff site? (good idea IMO)
        I like that idea. Quite a bit. As a Ferris fan, I can't imagine hosting a regional in Big Rapids when the capacity is less than 2,500. Great barn to play in, but not conducive to a regional setting. Seeing the attendance at every regional this year is simply disappointing.

Comment

3 game series for 2 weeks.

Lower seed hosts game 1 on Thursday, higher seed gets games 2 and 3 (if needed) on Saturday and Sunday.

No week off after round 2.

Frozen Four as is.

Easy, and NCAA, you're welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

Lower seed hosts game 1 on Thursday, higher seed gets games 2 and 3 (if needed) on Saturday and Sunday.

Frozen Four as is.

Interesting idea. What if there is a long travel distance between lower seed and higher seed sites?

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
              Interesting idea. What if there is a long travel distance between lower seed and higher seed sites?
              The Gurt plan has a travel day built in.

I mean, it could be brutal if Alaska was playing BC, but it would be brutal for both teams, so deal. Of course, Alaska would have to actually make the NCAAs.

Imagine 3 game series. How freaking fun would that be?
              Last edited by Gurtholfin; 03-25-2012, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Frozen Four as is.

I shall say, that would make for exciting hockey. Rather simple way to fix attendance woes and increase overall energy. I approve.

Comment

The Gurt plan has a travel day built in.

I mean, it could be brutal if Alaska was playing BC, but it would be brutal for both teams, so deal. Of course, Alaska would have to actually make the NCAAs.

Imagine 3 game series. How freaking fun would that be?
                  Would be fun. Very interesting idea. Lots of upside.

Comment

Originally posted by MUnRPI View Post
                    Why do more fans = better? IMO the higher seed getting to play at home and making the environments 100000x better is a win.
                    I didn't say that, but who cares if 9k show up at 50% or 90% capacity? But clearly the concern being expressed is overall attendance so not sure if serious.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                      Would be fun. Very interesting idea. Lots of upside.
                      Which means it has no chance of actually happening. We can dream though...

Comment

Frozen Four as is.

Doubling the travel costs (or more due to more nights away) would be the first argument by the schools and the NCAA.
                        YALE HOCKEY
                        2013 National Champions

Comment

Doubling the travel costs (or more due to more nights away) would be the first argument by the schools and the NCAA.
                          Having more games, and presumably better attendance, take some of the gate to offset travel.

Or just tell the schools to suck it up and pay. It's not like hockey is making money in many places.

Comment

It's not like hockey is making money in many places.
                            I would say that 2/3rds of the D-1 schools are making enough to continue their existence. I throw 500-1000 at Yale each year, it's like a fund raiser to the corporation and keeps the townies interested in the University. It does not hurt that they have averaged 3K a game for the last 4 years in a 3.5K rink.
                            YALE HOCKEY
                            2013 National Champions

Comment

I would say that 2/3rds of the D-1 schools are making enough to continue their existence. I throw 500-1000 at Yale each year, it's like a fund raiser to the corporation and keeps the townies interested in the University. It does not hurt that they have averaged 3K a game for the last 4 years in a 3.5K rink.
                              Well, we're talking one additional flight and at most, two additional nights in a hotel. I would think that somehow this could be done.

Again, not gonna happen just because I want it to and posted it here. Just dreaming a little dream.

Comment

Well, we're talking one additional flight and at most, two additional nights in a hotel. I would think that somehow this could be done.

Again, not gonna happen just because I want it to and posted it here. Just dreaming a little dream.
                                You never know
                                YALE HOCKEY
                                2013 National Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X