Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine - the Golfing Season

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
    Geeeezus, Maine was down 2, getting nothing and you dont want to take any chances?? Holy chit. Good coaches make brave decisions when required. BTW, if I remember correctly Maine even had the faceoff in their end. When you are down 2 and getting nothing with only 3 minutes left.....its obvious.
    Timmay had nightmares of Denver in Boston.

Comment

I think you keep Anthoine with Mangene and swap Higgins and Beattie.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        Wait till next year, an all too familiar theme for Maine hockey. Hope the recruiting class is as good as Drew thinks it will be. Hope a goalie coach shows up also
        With the exception of 1993 and 1999, it's always been "wait until next year." Let's not pretend that Maine won the title every season...

Comment

Nothing beats Kebo Valley on a late summer night!!
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            Nothing beats Kebo Valley on a late summer night!!
            Hey Mookie would not be dancing on our grave until your BC boys are actually dancin' if you know what I mean. After all "The Country Club" will be open next week.

Comment

Mookie's such a huge BC fan, he's scouting their next opponent out in St Paul

Comment

Just returned home for Mass. I have to say, although it wasnt the outcome I was looking for last night it was a great experience! I have seen a ton of regular season and hockey east playoff games but that was my first NCAA tourney game. Maine played a great first period and a decent first 8 minutes of the second but after that the wheels came off the wagon! I think the big turning point was the fluky goal and then the one just over a minute later...game was over after that! Maine had NO answer for the trap Duluth put on at center ice! Hats off to Duluth, they were the better team! Better season for ME than I expected so I guess that is something! I had a great time in Worcester and the atmosphere was decent as well and even met a few new faces at Maxwells! Oh well guess its time for Bruins and lobsterfishing.....see you all in the fall!

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                  Lineup for next year:

Diamond-Beattie-Shore
                  Lomberg-Mangene-Cerratani
                  Anthoine-Higgins-Parker
                  Shemansky-J. Swavely-Merchant
                  Leen-Garaeu-Leidermark
                  S. Swavely

Rutt-Cornell
                  Pryor-O'Conner
                  Hutton-Nemec
                  Riley-Williams

Morris
                  Sullivan
                  Not bad but I think I would put Mangene on the top line...he will be ME's best player! Joey will get his goals but Mangene is the overall best player on the team next season!

Comment

So Kerluke isn't going anywhere, because the recruiting is looking up. And Corkum isn't going anywhere because of the team's improved play. But we need a goalie coach.

Unfortunately 1+1+1 doesn't = 2.

Are there any candidates to replace Alexander? Nothing against the guy. He might be good at his job, given full-time contact. Working remotely doesn't seem to be cutting it.

Need any more fuel for the goaltending fire? Each of the four teams in the FF this year are in the top 8 in team defense. Union and BC are 1 and 2. Maine is 31.
                    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                      So Kerluke isn't going anywhere, because the recruiting is looking up. And Corkum isn't going anywhere because of the team's improved play. But we need a goalie coach.

Unfortunately 1+1+1 doesn't = 2.

Are there any candidates to replace Alexander? Nothing against the guy. He might be good at his job, given full-time contact. Working remotely doesn't seem to be cutting it.

Need any more fuel for the goaltending fire? Each of the four teams in the FF this year are in the top 8 in team defense. Union and BC are 1 and 2. Maine is 31.
                      Maine's defense is ahhhhhhhhhh........pourous to say the least. No need to single out names, but poor decisions, poor management of the puck, slow and telegraphed passes, and a lack of physical and mental toughness. Not many good things I can say. They need a shutdown defenseman and a puck moving guy.
                      I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

[QUOTE=Runsub5;5412391]
                        Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                        I posted this in the other thread, but I think Maine was pretty gassed. It looked like the five games in two weeks plus the two long trips really took a toll on them. UMD has only played three games over the last couple of weeks............./QUOTE]

In my opinion they were not gassed. The team has played an entire season of hockey and I think they were physically fit. In my opinion UMD was the better team. There are times when you give the other team credit because they played better. A good many Maine posters find that hard to do.
                        and NOBODY is noticing the coaching and positioning and passing.
                        UMD knew how to pass the puck to the forehand so that the recipient could do something IMMEDIATELY when receiving the puck.
                        UMD had players all over the ice, playing their position, not playing like giant mites. When UMD missed a shot, there was someone on the weak side, closest t the errant puck. When they skated down ice, there was someone to pass to in order to get the goalie to move.

and if ANY of you saw the passing display that Danny Kristo put on yesterday...
                        go look,
                        take a minute and try and watch a game with out just watching the puck carrier (not saying everyone here does that, but enough do and enough do not watch the players who do not have the puck...)

it is almost always the players without the puck who make the goals possible... Maine is not going to have many scoring opportunities when the opponent just stops skating because the net is dislodged by 50 feet and the officials determine that a puck carrying black bear 200 feet away from a goal has "an offensive opportunity".

Comment

Maine's defense is ahhhhhhhhhh........pourous to say the least. No need to single out names, but poor decisions, poor management of the puck, slow and telegraphed passes, and a lack of physical and mental toughness. Not many good things I can say. They need a shutdown defenseman and a puck moving guy.
                          I'll second the motion.
                          bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                          SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                          All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                          A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

I think they need a coach who can teach it, can anyone say Campbell Blair? How has the D looked since he departed?
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

There are a lot of things to point to on D. Coaching, goaltending, goaltending coach, players.

I guess the bright side is there are a lot of ways to improve. One way to improve is to have more size. I'm not saying we should send Kerluke out on a pylon-shopping mission. But, to me, the problem starts with Maine's inability to clear the defensive zone -- sometimes even just to get a line change. Added strength on D can help there. And that'll improve the PK at the same time.

Haven't looked at the Heisenberg list in a while, so it's possible that I'm beating a dead horse. Whitehead & Co may have already taken steps to fix this.
                              Last edited by amherstblackbear; 03-26-2012, 11:20 AM.
                              1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                                There are a lot of things to point to on D. Coaching, goaltending, goaltending coach, players.

I guess the bright side is there are a lot of ways to improve. One way to improve is to have more size. I'm not saying we should send Kerluke out on a pylon-shopping mission. But, to me, the problem starts with Maine's inability to clear the defensive zone -- sometimes even just to get a line change. Added strength on D can help there. And that'll improve the PK at the same time.

Haven't looked at the Heisenberg list in a while, so it's possible that I'm beating a dead horse. Whitehead & Co may have already taken steps to fix this.
                                We lose two of our bigger d-men, but Rutt will be an everyday player next year and Ben Hutton is said to be 6'2 or 6'3 depending upon what site you go to. Connor Reilly is also listed at 6'1. Nice thing is as we look ahead our forwards are also getting bigger.

Comment

Working...
                                X