Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine - the Golfing Season

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
    Nice to see St. Lawrence coming to Alfond Arena after the Ice Breaker tournament. I don't think I have ever seen St. Lawrence play.

The one time I can remember watching SLU, I didn't think I would ever *stop* seeing them play.

The BU-SLU OT extravaganza in Albany about 10 years ago. Thankfully, there's no chance of that in the RS
    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Oh God, the humanity...

Yes, I was there too, and I thought that it would never end; the players were so gassed by the 3rd OT that they could barely stand up. Legendary BU goalie Rick Di Pietro gave up a relative softie to end my misery in the 4th OT, if memory serves.

I think that thing went about six hours, real time, but it was worth the wait to see Maine pound a good Michigan team afterward.

Those were the days.
      Last edited by Fishman'81; 04-22-2012, 12:58 AM.

Comment

I read a piece in ESPN (the magazine) a couple of years back that dealt with PK's decision to sign with Nashville at that time. It pretty-much said that N'ville had a great blueprint for success, and that Paul had made a smart choice in going there.

I don't remember who wrote that thing, but he seemed to be on the ball (or puck).

If Rinne keeps doing what he's doing, and the entire team remains as disciplined as they have been lately, I won't be surprised at all if The Cup ends up in Music City. They played a nearly perfect series vs. Detroit.

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
          The one time I can remember watching SLU, I didn't think I would ever *stop* seeing them play.

The BU-SLU OT extravaganza in Albany about 10 years ago. Thankfully, there's no chance of that in the RS
          Yep. One of the few overtime games I just wanted to see end. As in, didn't care who won, didn't want to see anyone win, just wanted them to stop playing and go home.

What a long night that was. Although I gotta say, that night was the first time I ever saw TA Jen. Didn't meet her, but saw her in her group after the game at Jillian's.
          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
            Yep. One of the few overtime games I just wanted to see end. As in, didn't care who won, didn't want to see anyone win, just wanted them to stop playing and go home.
            who remembers the pigeon flying around the rafters of the pepsi center that game?!? That bird was more and more entertaining the longer that game dragged on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post

I headed to the arena from the bar during the 3rd period of the BU - SLU game. Little did I know I would still get to see an entire game between the two teams before Maine took the ice...

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                that night was the first time I ever saw TA Jen.
                You say that like it's a good thing. Hearing that name just made me shudder.
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Can we discuss the discussion in the thread about adding UConn? With the addition of Notre Dame and possibly UConn, it looks like the schedule will have to be set up so that Maine does not get home games against every team in HEA in a given season. So, for example, Maine could have to play 2 @ND, @BC, @NU, @UVM, @UNH year one, then host them year two while going @UConn, @BU, @Lowell, @Merrimack, @UMass, @PC. Or, there could be divisions where Maine would play 4 against each team in its division, then 2 against the other division rotating home and away based on the year.

Does that strike anyone else as absolute garbage and not worth admitting two schools Maine has no ties to whatsoever?

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                    Can we discuss the discussion in the thread about adding UConn? With the addition of Notre Dame and possibly UConn, it looks like the schedule will have to be set up so that Maine does not get home games against every team in HEA in a given season. So, for example, Maine could have to play 2 @ND, @BC, @NU, @UVM, @UNH year one, then host them year two while going @UConn, @BU, @Lowell, @Merrimack, @UMass, @PC. Or, there could be divisions where Maine would play 4 against each team in its division, then 2 against the other division rotating home and away based on the year.

Does that strike anyone else as absolute garbage and not worth admitting two schools Maine has no ties to whatsoever?
                    The division setup makes a lot of sense. Play each team 3 times in the division, along with a rotating schedule with teams in the other division to play a total of 27 games. I don't think you want to play a team 4 times, need to have a tie breaker.

Your reasoning that Maine has no ties to these schools isn't really an issue. Maine has no ties to the other schools either, other then the fact Maine has played many of them for years. The same tradition could develop with the additional two schools.
                    There would be a connection with BC, Notre Dame and Providence College, as they are all Jesuit schools. If Holy Cross were to join instead of UConn, then there would be four schools with a connection. Holy Cross being a small school though, so that doesn't bring a lot of prominence to the league. UConn is a big time athletic program which would strengthen Hockey East.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                      Yep. Nothing was broken so Joe Bertagna tried to fix it.
                      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                        I headed to the arena from the bar during the 3rd period of the BU - SLU game. Little did I know I would still get to see an entire game between the two teams before Maine took the ice...
                        A friend and his wife were at the game sitting in the front row on the corner. We could see them often while watching and recording the game, on several occasions she was yawning when they were on TV. Upon their return we invited them over and view parts of the recording with her yawning. Truly justified.

Comment

The division setup makes a lot of sense. Play each team 3 times in the division, along with a rotating schedule with teams in the other division to play a total of 27 games. I don't think you want to play a team 4 times, need to have a tie breaker.

Your reasoning that Maine has no ties to these schools isn't really an issue. Maine has no ties to the other schools either, other then the fact Maine has played many of them for years. The same tradition could develop with the additional two schools.
                          There would be a connection with BC, Notre Dame and Providence College, as they are all Jesuit schools. If Holy Cross were to join instead of UConn, then there would be four schools with a connection. Holy Cross being a small school though, so that doesn't bring a lot of prominence to the league. UConn is a big time athletic program which would strengthen Hockey East.
                          I understand that Holy Cross officials said they were not interested in joining HEA.

Comment

UConn brings nothing to Hockey East...

Comment

Can I use that on my girlfriend? Honey, we've been together for years, but let's take a couple of weeks off so I can sleep with that hot 22 year old over there.

Comment

According to the posted Nebrask-Omaha Schedule in the 2012-2013 schedules thread, Maine plays Notre Dame in the opener of the Ice Breaker Tournament and then would play Army or Nebraska-Omaha the second night.

Comment

Working...
                                X