Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine - the Golfing Season

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    Kind of think Diamond's being sold short. His abilty to create his own shot and get to the dirty areas is rare and he's strong and balanced. He can be a pro if he never loses his edge/motor.
    it is his foot speed.
    He has not had a coach who looked at his stride and tweaked it for more power... unless he went outside of the Whitehead camp.

Jeff Halpern just went for power skating lessons at the age of about 35... after the Canadiens thought he was too old and too slow. If Halpern can change his stride, so can Joey.

that said, I got chance to see ONeill in the AHL.

it is amazing what a great passer he is coming out of his own zone, perfect, tape to tape passes, hard as can be. I wonder what the difference is?

He was slow on the poke checks, and had no problem putting the body on opponents near the crease... had a lot of trouble catching them in the open ice.

He also scored a goal and an assist last night.

Comment

Familiar name for Maine fans on the AHL All-Rookie Team for 2011-12:

http://theahl.com/2011-12-ahl-all-ro...ounced-p176961

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
        Joey the next Marchand? Not quite. He's a great college player and you have to appreciate the fire, but he's a career AHL guy, at best. He's probably looking at the ECHL if he wants to play for any length of time. I'm not sure that's worth leaving college early.
        And since he plays at Maine, the money is probably worse in the ECHL.
        1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2018

Boston College Hockey: It's just that we're better than you.

B Who? Oh, you mean "Sux 2 B.U."

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
          Joey the next Marchand? Not quite. He's a great college player and you have to appreciate the fire, but he's a career AHL guy, at best. He's probably looking at the ECHL if he wants to play for any length of time. I'm not sure that's worth leaving college early.
          They guy has probably been dreaming of playing professional hockey since he was 4 years old, so do you really think that if he has teams knocking on his door he's gonna go back to college where he'll more than likely have a worse year and be one year older? Doubtful. He only has so many years to make a go of this and he's already 23 this Spring, so just can't see the upside of not leaving, especially since he can finish his degree whenever. I could MAYBE see if Maine was knocking on the National Championship door, but we all know that aint gonna happen anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
            They guy has probably been dreaming of playing professional hockey since he was 4 years old, so do you really think that if he has teams knocking on his door he's gonna go back to college where he'll more than likely have a worse year and be one year older? Doubtful. He only has so many years to make a go of this and he's already 23 this Spring, so just can't see the upside of not leaving, especially since he can finish his degree whenever. I could MAYBE see if Maine was knocking on the National Championship door, but we all know that aint gonna happen anytime soon.
            Same conversation went on last year at this time regarding Abbott and Flynn...will they stay, we aren't close, Gus has left and the world will cease as we know it....and somehow they increased their value. Given Entry Level Contracts, Joey could sign a 2 year, , 2 way, get 2 signing bonuses of $65 K or more ....., or gamble, come back next year and hope to sign a better deal, and be one year closer to a regular deal....big gambles I get it....but really any worse than Abs or Flynnie? Was anyone saying " Hobey Abbott " last year?
            Last edited by BearNecessity; 04-04-2012, 05:28 PM.

Comment

I disagree on Maine not being a contender. There is so much parity nowadays that in any given year 20 to 25 teams have a shot at the national championship. A lot depends on the draw you get and whether the bounces go your way or not. This isn't the NHL where you have to win four best of seven series. Looking around HEA makes me feel much better too. Even BC could struggle next year, not so much because of losing the scoring but due to losing half their defenseman.

I think Joey is better off staying but certainly don't blame him if he wants to give it a shot.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Diamond had better stats this year (47 pts) than Flynn (36 pts) or Abbott (40) last year and it would be a real stretch to think the team is in as good a shape going into next season as they were going into this past season. Plus I think Diamond is much more suited to the pro game with his physical play as opposed to Abbot & Flynn.

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                  that said, I got chance to see ONeill in the AHL.
                  That's great to hear, thanks. Heard he got in a fight tonight. Will's another guy, I think, that with some skating tweaking and strength...if he never loses his compete level, could have a longer career/more upside that it appears on the surface. I hope so anyway.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                  43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                  104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                  3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

• Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
                    Diamond had better stats this year (47 pts) than Flynn (36 pts) or Abbott (40) last year and it would be a real stretch to think the team is in as good a shape going into next season as they were going into this past season. Plus I think Diamond is much more suited to the pro game with his physical play as opposed to Abbot & Flynn.

Diamond is far to small for the type of game he plays at the NHL level.

Comment

Whether it's the NHL, AHL or ECHL that's looking to sign him, the bottom line is that his value will probably never be higher and he's going to be 23 in a couple months, so why delay it another year? Do you think he's gonna grow 6 inches next year and end up signing a $10 million dollar NHL contract after he scores 70 points as a senior at Maine? Again, what is the upside of delaying another year at his age?

Comment

Whether it's the NHL, AHL or ECHL that's looking to sign him, the bottom line is that his value will probably never be higher and he's going to be 23 in a couple months, so why delay it another year? Do you think he's gonna grow 6 inches next year and end up signing a $10 million dollar NHL contract after he scores 70 points as a senior at Maine? Again, what is the upside of delaying another year at his age?
                        The upside, given that you don't think he has a good career ahead of him in the professionals, is that he'll have a college degree under his belt. I'd say enjoy himself in college, work hard during the summer, and have a memorable last year at Maine. The opportunities will present themselves no doubt, and I'd suspect there will be plenty of NHL/AHL teams willing to take a chance on him after a strong senior year. Plus he'll have a degree to fall back on if push comes to shove and it doesn't work out.

Comment

When did I say he doesn't have a good career ahead of him in the pros? Pro athletes only have a few short years to make their mark (and money), so he'd be crazy not to take advantage of every possible year. As far as a degree, he can get that whenever he wants. He can't play pro hockey whenever he wants, as the window will be shut in just a few short years. You desperately want him to stay, so you are not looking at it from his point of view, you are looking at it from yours.

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyj65 View Post
                            The upside, given that you don't think he has a good career ahead of him in the professionals, is that he'll have a college degree under his belt. I'd say enjoy himself in college, work hard during the summer, and have a memorable last year at Maine. The opportunities will present themselves no doubt, and I'd suspect there will be plenty of NHL/AHL teams willing to take a chance on him after a strong senior year. Plus he'll have a degree to fall back on if push comes to shove and it doesn't work out.
                            Typical path for a college student: Pay Money->Get Degree->Get Paid?
                            Potential path if Diamond leaves: Pay No Money->3 years of school->Get Paid!

Door 2 for me, please.

Comment

When did I say he doesn't have a good career ahead of him in the pros? Pro athletes only have a few short years to make their mark (and money), so he'd be crazy not to take advantage of every possible year. As far as a degree, he can get that whenever he wants. He can't play pro hockey whenever he wants, as the window will be shut in just a few short years. You desperately want him to stay, so you are not looking at it from his point of view, you are looking at it from yours.
                              If there is a good enough opportunity he should take it, but if in one year you can strengthen your position for a better deal and get a degree, for free? Depends what they are offering him now, and if one more year of college developing is worth the investment in the long term.

Comment

ha. More like Pay No Money-> 4 years of school-> Get Paid!! + Get Paid?

But, if Pay No Money -> 3 years of school -> Get Paid!! then me too.

Comment

Working...
                                X