Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine - the Golfing Season

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
    I think, besides the loss of scoring threats, is the loss of leadership. If Joey goes too then who's gonna step up and lead this team? We all know that motivation doesn't really come from the top. That could turn out to be a bigger problem than goal scoring.
    Leadership can take many forms ....in Locker room, off-ice, on-ice, toughness....there are character players on the team, but who can lead....
    Last edited by BearNecessity; 04-03-2012, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Lines for next season (if Diamond returns):

1- Diamond-Shore-Beattie
      2- Higgins-Anthoine-Parker
      3- Shemansky-Lomberg-Leen
      4- Swavely-Liedermark-Cerretani

Also: S. Swavely & Merchant

Comment

• Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
        Lines for next season (if Diamond returns):

1- Diamond-Shore-Beattie
        2- Higgins-Anthoine-Parker
        3- Shemansky-Lomberg-Leen
        4- Swavely-Liedermark-Cerretani

Also: S. Swavely & Merchant
        You're missing Gareau and Antonelli. I think either merchant or Gareau plays over leidermark. I actually think its a decent looking lineup. I could see a lot of guys improving over this year but time will tell if it happens or not.

I think a lot of people are overrating BU and Merrimack for next year. Not sure about UNH and providence but think UNH will have a tough time without Moses. He was their best player by quite a distance.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
          That would be a disaster for next year. Lose one okay, but both juniors? IF Joey does that I think it would be a mistake. He will play in the ECHL or Europe, just can't skate with players at the top levels, and the things we like about him at college in terms of hitting and the cheap shots will get him beat up by much larger players. Just my opinion, but would be surprised and disappointed if he leaves.
          Tim says that Joey is being pursued, but is fairly confident he will return to Maine. I hope he's right.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
            I think a lot of people are overrating BU and Merrimack for next year. Not sure about UNH and providence but think UNH will have a tough time without Moses. He was their best player by quite a distance.
            Merrimack is going to be interesting to watch. Cannata is gone so that means they will stink right? Maybe. But their system of bringing in 21 year olds from Canada and plugging them into the lineup makes them a tough team to play every night regardless of whether Cannata is in there or not. I think they'll probably hold their own as long as they are bringing in these overaged thugs from Canada every year and they'll look similar to what they looked like this year in low-scoring games and fighting for that last home-ice spot.

BU always seems to lose talent and reloads in some way relative to everyone else. Gotta break in a new goalie. Problem right? Maybe maybe not. BC and BU have been very fortunate when their #1 guy graduates lately.

UNH stunk this year and is going to stink again next year. Got better as the year went along but so does every other team.

Not sure about Providence. Seems like Leaman has things going in the right direction though.
            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
              You're missing Gareau and Antonelli. I think either merchant or Gareau plays over leidermark. I actually think its a decent looking lineup. I could see a lot of guys improving over this year but time will tell if it happens or not.

Lets hope that Shore shows up at UMaine and is not using them for leverage in Major Juniors...watch for Merchant/Riley/Hutton,could be all very pleasent surprises...and as for Diamond,I have a bad feeling he's going...I hope not but if he does then you will see on some nights 10 Freshman/Sophomores in the lineup....UML and BC will be the favorites to start the season....UNH with DeSmith in net will be better but a middle of the pack team....BU will reload...Northeastern will be there usually hot/cold/hot/cold...UMass will be better from a years experience to there youthful lineup...Merrimack has the taste of winning and they will be a grinding style team to play with questions in goal,Providence is still a year or two away,but going in the right direction under Leaman...Vermont does not look good on paper and theirs alot of work to be done there,could be another long season for them....and Maine is right in the middle,with what they have and say they do lose Diamond then they could be a work in progress,needing strong goaltending/better play from all there d-man and a Blue Collar style play from there forwards....just April and October is on the Hrorizon....??..!

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                Tim says that Joey is being pursued, but is fairly confident he will return to Maine. I hope he's right.
                Why on earth would Diamond return to Maine? He's already 23 this spring and I can't imagine him having better stats next year playing alongside Shemansky and Beattie, or whoever else, so why not strike while the iron is hot and get in as many years in the pros as possible? Furthermore, it isn't like he'll be competing for a National Championship next year at Maine, so again, what's the upside of returning? If he wants to finish his degree, he'll have plenty of time for that once he stops playing hockey. I'd be shocked if he returns.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                  Merrimack is going to be interesting to watch. Cannata is gone so that means they will stink right? Maybe. But their system of bringing in 21 year olds from Canada and plugging them into the lineup makes them a tough team to play every night regardless of whether Cannata is in there or not. I think they'll probably hold their own as long as they are bringing in these overaged thugs from Canada every year and they'll look similar to what they looked like this year in low-scoring games and fighting for that last home-ice spot.
                  Surely you jest. Before Cannata, Merrimack were terrible and will be again with an unproven goalie. No amount of 21 year old freshmen can compensate for an empty net.
                  1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2018

Boston College Hockey: It's just that we're better than you.

B Who? Oh, you mean "Sux 2 B.U."

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
                    Why on earth would Diamond return to Maine? He's already 23 this spring and I can't imagine him having better stats next year playing alongside Shemansky and Beattie, or whoever else, so why not strike while the iron is hot and get in as many years in the pros as possible? Furthermore, it isn't like he'll be competing for a National Championship next year at Maine, so again, what's the upside of returning? If he wants to finish his degree, he'll have plenty of time for that once he stops playing hockey. I'd be shocked if he returns.
                    Joey should do whatever gets him the most signing money. (Not sure what that would be, at his age.)

He's definitely not an NHL player. At his size/speed, he's not really even a guy who'll hang around at the AHL level for long, either, IMO.

It's quite possible that another year at Maine will improve his stock a bit, who knows? It's gonna be short-term lifestyle choice for Joey; not so much a career choice.

I would love to see him come back, but if he wants to give The Bigs a shot, I don't blame him a bit. His window is very narrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                      Joey should do whatever gets him the most signing money. (Not sure what that would be, at his age.)

He's definitely not an NHL player. At his size/speed, he's not really even a guy who'll hang around at the AHL level for long, either, IMO.

It's quite possible that another year at Maine will improve his stock a bit, who knows? It's gonna be short-term lifestyle choice for Joey; not so much a career choice.

I would love to see him come back, but if he wants to give The Bigs a shot, I don't blame him a bit. His window is very narrow.
                      Could a joey D, who commits to being in shape all year round, be another brad marchand.....? IF so, then he should commit to that, and being at Orono may be the place to demonstrate that commitment...not going to do that in Binghamton, or Glenns Falls......If he is peaking, then he should go and get a 2 year EL, with a couple of signing bonuses.....now...and move on ....just hope Tim Ghandi doesn't make him a Captain so he stays.....

Comment

Originally posted by BearNecessity View Post
                        Could a joey D, who commits to being in shape all year round, be another brad marchand.....? IF so, then he should commit to that, and being at Orono may be the place to demonstrate that commitment...not going to do that in Binghamton, or Glenns Falls......If he is peaking, then he should go and get a 2 year EL, with a couple of signing bonuses.....now...and move on ....just hope Tim Ghandi doesn't make him a Captain so he stays.....
                        Joey the next Marchand? Not quite. He's a great college player and you have to appreciate the fire, but he's a career AHL guy, at best. He's probably looking at the ECHL if he wants to play for any length of time. I'm not sure that's worth leaving college early.

Comment

Originally posted by BearNecessity View Post
                          Could a joey D, who commits to being in shape all year round, be another brad marchand.....?
                          Ha. No.
                          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Sorry to hear that the Hobey Award is being held on a military installation with very limited access. Our group wanted to go and support Spencer but didn't find out how to gain access until it was to late.

Comment

No offense to Joey, but I hope he signs somewhere and leaves the roost. Time to turn over the whole group and start fresh. Joey would get involved in a ton of retaliation and frustration penalties next year because he would have little to work with since his linemates are gone. Love the guy and the way he plays but I think he would be best served to begin his beyond college career somewhere asap.
                              sure why not

Comment

Kind of think Diamond's being sold short. His abilty to create his own shot and get to the dirty areas is rare and he's strong and balanced. He can be a pro if he never loses his edge/motor.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Working...
                                X