Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine - the Golfing Season

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
    That means Maine is losing 4 of its 5 top scorers from this year. You better either have a bunch of stud recruits coming in or are going to need MAJOR, MAJOR improvement from your existing forwards. What about Diamond, would have to think he's a flight risk as well?
    It would not be hard to think that Diamond will get offers before the summer starts. Losing Mangene will hurt,but if Diamond should leave that would be alot of a void to makeup.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

It's getting even harder to imagine an NCAA berth in '12/'13 right about now.
      I know huh. Won't that be a pleasant change? We'll actually have a season where we can all relax and hopefully watch the team develop and "steal" a few games. No pressure for Whitehead........he'll actually have a valid excuse for once. Of course this could make it more difficult to make a decision on another extension if he has a losing season. Woodward's 3 year extension could be a sign of things to come...........

Comment

I sure hope Maine does ok next year. Enough to keep Whitehead around anyway. That's why this year's "success" was so fun for everyone... Another reason to sign up Tim for another few years. To be fair, he did do a pretty good job this year.
        Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 04-02-2012, 07:42 AM. Reason: Typo
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Mangene to Flyers, hearing 3 year deal...more than Abbott or Flynn who signed one year entry levels....let;'s see. His speed is intriguing for anyone who sees it and his room mates dad is a key player personel guy with Philly........His Faux tough guy act will have to be curtailed or some faerm boy from Saskatchewan will hand him his hat.....good luck to him though, good for the program to pump out pros. whether you believe Tim Ghandi has an influence or not....

Let's hope Joey sees this as a chance to demomnstrate that he can do it on his own....Beattie, Shemmansky, Anthoine....better get your big boy pants on and soon....

Comment

I hope Tim realizes that players turning pro is good for the program as that is the goal for most players who come here. Should make it easier to recruit top end talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyman99 View Post
              I hope Tim realizes that players turning pro is good for the program as that is the goal for most players who come here. Should make it easier to recruit top end talent.
              Good point, and yes, Tim knows it. I'm sure that is mentioned as part of the recruiting process.

Comment

Originally posted by BearNecessity View Post
                Mangene to Flyers, hearing 3 year deal...more than Abbott or Flynn who signed one year entry levels....let;'s see. His speed is intriguing for anyone who sees it and his room mates dad is a key player personel guy with Philly........His Faux tough guy act will have to be curtailed or some faerm boy from Saskatchewan will hand him his hat.....good luck to him though, good for the program to pump out pros. whether you believe Tim Ghandi has an influence or not....

Let's hope Joey sees this as a chance to demomnstrate that he can do it on his own....Beattie, Shemmansky, Anthoine....better get your big boy pants on and soon....
                The contract you can receive all depends on your age after a certain date (I believe September 15th)- because Abbott and Flynn both turn 24 by then, they are only eligible for 1 year entry level contracts. Mangene, by that logic, should be able to sign a 2 year ELC, receiving the max (i would assume) $92,500 signing bonus each year.

Comment

We have now lost 47% of our goalscoring from last year.

Diamond is not exactly a summa cum laude student whose #1 incentive is his degree. Mangene gone makes this team less appealing to come back to. Hopefully that isn't a scale tipper for him.

If Joey's domino falls, they're entering next year without 65.4% of their 2011/2012 scoring.

I like Anthoine a lot, I like the way next years' sophomores look, and if they show up, the freshmen look promising. But at the end of the day, we probably wont see the kind of consistent, everyday impact from those guys until fall 2013. On paper, this 2012 team is .500 with Joey, and some games under .500 without him.

#ouch

Comment

That will do it...my season ticket fate is sealed! Oh well, just go Joey and get the pain and suffering for Maine fans over with! Matt gone, we are officially screwed for next season!

Comment

For some perspective...

Things change over summers, I get that, but right now:

Northeastern is set to retain 91% of their scoring
                      Providence is set to retain 79% of their goal scoring
                      Lowell is set to retain over 75% of their scoring
                      UMass is set to retain 73% of their scoring
                      Vermont is set to retain 73% of their scoring, even with Stalberg leaving.
                      BC is set to retain over 72% of their goal scoring. Even if Kreider and Dumoulin both go, they'll still retain over 55%.
                      BU is set to retain 70% of their goal scoring. Even with Chiasson gone.
                      UNH is set to retain 67% of their scoring
                      Merrmack is set to retain 56% of their scoring

So even if Joey stays, we're chilling down here at the bottom. Retaining about 53% of our goalscoring. If he leaves.... we're chilling...somewhere

Down
                      Here at 34.6%

Comment

Originally posted by TripleE View Post
                        For some perspective...

Things change over summers, I get that, but right now:

Northeastern is set to retain 91% of their scoring
                        Providence is set to retain 79% of their goal scoring
                        Lowell is set to retain over 75% of their scoring
                        UMass is set to retain 73% of their scoring
                        Vermont is set to retain 73% of their scoring, even with Stalberg leaving.
                        BC is set to retain over 72% of their goal scoring. Even if Kreider and Dumoulin both go, they'll still retain over 55%.
                        BU is set to retain 70% of their goal scoring. Even with Chiasson gone.
                        UNH is set to retain 67% of their scoring
                        Merrmack is set to retain 56% of their scoring

So even if Joey stays, we're chilling down here at the bottom. Retaining about 53% of our goalscoring. If he leaves.... we're chilling...somewhere

Down
                        Here at 34.6%
                        A lot of the teams at the top were more towards the bottom of the league. I think Kreider and Dumolin both leave. Another thing to keep in mind is that both BU and Merrimack have to start from scratch next year with their goaltending, that can be a rough transition. I think next year's team will be a lot different but that doesn't necessarily mean worse. I think there will be a lot more balance about them compared to this year and the defending should be a bit better. I would rate Maine, BC, and UML as the top three teams going into next year right now, but a lot could change between now and October. Agree with Hockeyman on Mangene signing being a good thing in a way.
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Not sure how you peg Maine into the top 3. They still have questions in net and on Defense and lost most of their top forwards/scoring. Diamond is very good player, but beyond that, there's not a lot of proven talent and don't see there being a real high end top line like you've had the past few years.

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
                            Not sure how you peg Maine into the top 3. They still have questions in net and on Defense and lost most of their top forwards/scoring. Diamond is very good player, but beyond that, there's not a lot of proven talent and don't see there being a real high end top line like you've had the past few years.
                            Agreed. Without really looking into what other teams have coming back/in, i wouldn't put Maine any higher than 5th.
                            It may be 10 below, Under 5 feet of snow,
                            But no matter where we go, WE ALL LOVE ORONO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                              A lot of the teams at the top were more towards the bottom of the league.
                              Right, but we're at the bottom of that list, period. Even after Kreider and Dumoulin leave and assuming Joey stays.

I think there will be a lot more balance about them compared to this year
                              Haha. Euphemism for 'few consistent, go-to scorers'

Would you rather be unbalanced and score 140 goals. Or balanced and score 100?

I would rate Maine, BC, and UML as the top three teams going into next year right now
                              Maine, UMass and Providence are the only Hockey East teams who haven't had a top 3 finish in the last 5 years, and next year looks that good to you? Pass the ganja, brother! That's some good shiz.
                              Last edited by TripleE; 04-02-2012, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mainetwentytwelve View Post
                                Agreed. Without really looking into what other teams have coming back/in, i wouldn't put Maine any higher than 5th.
                                If someone were doling out a cash prize for correctly guessing the Hockey East standings for next year, this early, on paper...I'd probably go...

1. Lowell
                                2. BC
                                3. UNH
                                4. BU
                                5. Providence
                                6. Merrimack
                                7. Maine
                                8. Northeastern
                                9. UMass
                                10. Vermont

Comment

Working...