Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine - the Golfing Season

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    Where's the motivation when you're guaranteed $25MM? It doesn't get talked about a lot but I think that is what is behind a lot of busts in every sport. Athletes work so hard and once they know they're set for life its hard to have that some motivation/determination. There are some who only care about winning but I think its fewer than a lot of people realize.
    He never really impressed me while at Maine, and I was astounded by the offer he got at the next level. I don't fault him a bit for taking it, but Slather was right at the time for calling it insane.

As far as the one-and-done guys from Maine, I don't hold it against them at all. The system is set-up to screw them if they don't come when called.

I was a fan of every team PK played for, and I'll follow Teddy et al as long as they play in that league. There is so much player-movement in the NHL that it's pretty much just rooting for the sweater, otherwise.

(One exception: I actually knew both Torts back in the day, and I rooted for John big-time while he was in Tampa... But in NY? No friggin way!)

Comment

For me, it isn't a matter of holding something against the one (or 0.75) and done guys.

It's more a question of: "Do I associate Maine hockey with this person?"

Maybe. If that person was part of a program-defining moment. Otherwise . . . meh. I hope they do well, but mostly so they might help as recruiting fodder. I just don't have any real memories invested with Purcell, and definitely none with Clark.

Others' mileage may differ.
      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Didn't Clark leave when sanctions were going to be imposed?
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          Didn't Clark leave when sanctions were going to be imposed?
          yes

Comment

(PK did, too. Can't blame either one of them.)

Back to the present...

I was pleasantly surprised to see Goose on the roster today. Good for him. He didn't get a lot of ice time, but he really looked like he fit right in when he was out there. I'm predicting that he'll get more shifts in the crucial Game 4. Rinne is a brick wall, and the Wings are going to need to play every sniper they have.

Comment

[QUOTE=Fishman'81;5430207](PK did, too. Can't blame either one of them.)
              Brett Clark left after his freshman year (1995-96) to play Canadian major junior hockey. Walsh was suspended halfway through the year, and sanctions were anticipated after the NCAA completed its investigation. Paul Kariya left in December 1993 to join the Canadian Olympic team for the 1994 Winter Olympics. His departure was anticipated and had nothing to do with sanctions, which were not an issue at the time.

Comment

Thanks for posting the facts. (I never look anything up, obviously, but I seem to remember that sanctions were on the horizon when PK checked out.)

In any case, if a guy stays for 4 years in any school, you probably won't see him in the NHL. (Lundin is an exception, but with his injuries, he's hanging by a thread.)

Flip side: if a guy dons a Maine sweater for 10 minutes, I'll watch him at the next level, should he make it there. Most of Maine's early-departures have gotten work.

Looking forward to seeing Goose and Jimmy tonight, for example. That's a big game for each of them, and for Detroit as a team. And Dustin appears to have punched his ticket for the next round; let's see if he continues to contribute.

The playoffs are great to watch, as long as you still have a dog in the hunt.
                Last edited by Fishman'81; 04-17-2012, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                  Flip side: if a guy dons a Maine sweater for 10 minutes, I'll watch him at the next level, should he make it there. Most of Maine's early-departures have gotten work.
                  I saw Andrew Sweetland on my milk carton this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                    Good one..!!! Boy if that was someone who should have stayed for two more years...oh well...that smell of Bonus Money and the Dreams of the NHL are sometimes too hard not to go for,but even then,with his skill's in the offensive end I would bet 1-2 more years would have been to his benefit(only imo). Was that Carton purchased in a ECHL City to be named later..!

Comment

Nice article on Nyquist on nhl.com
                      http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=628309
                      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                        I did say "most", not "all".

I've been meaning to Google him, just to see where he is right now. He was a good player, but not a can't-miss type of guy. You have to wonder what other factors were in place that lead to him jumping ship so early.

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                          Nice article on Nyquist on nhl.com
                          http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=628309
                          I was a little surprised to see him scratched tonight.

And what was up with Jimmy's 2nd goal allowed? Terrible decision-making.

Comment

I was a little surprised to see him scratched tonight.

Yeah
                            Looks like Detroit is done, Nashvilles goalie is better
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I was a little surprised to see him [Nyquist] scratched tonight.
                              Nyquist wasn't scratched, but he only skated 6 minutes.

Comment

I guess he figured that if three of his teammates were chasing one Predator, there must be a good reason and he might as well join the chase.

Comment

Working...
                                X