Irish hockey: Straight Inta the Off-Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Irish hockey: Straight Inta the Off-Season

Our pair of home and homes with Ferris State got converted into two game series @ one arena. Wouldn't shock me if they turn around and make the ND games home and homes now because of your football dilemma.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
      Our pair of home and homes with Ferris State got converted into two game series @ one arena. Wouldn't shock me if they turn around and make the ND games home and homes now because of your football dilemma.
      The first weekend is Friday-Sunday because of FB. I assumed way back when that it would be home-home, but got my new info from a person in the know.
      "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

4 ND players were invited to try out for the World Juniors. I always have mixed feelings about this. It's good exposure, good experience and they get to represent their country (something I find less meaningful as I get older and more cynical). But the players wouldn't get a break and this season would miss the game against Minnesota and could likely be still recovering the following weekend when league play starts up again as the WJC games this year are in Russia. I expect at least Mario Lucia to make the team.

Something I do like when reading the short bios, Steven Fogarty could be the Christian Hanson we've been missing for a few seasons. If he puts on 20 pounds, wins face offs and is the big body he could be in front of the net, he may become my new favorite player (pre-season smiley. heart.) Of course if Anders Lee finds his scoring touch again (something I fully expect), he will continue to be drool-inducing.

The time to start speculating about captains, break-out seasons, fantastic freshmen and so on is fast approaching. I am climbing my first mountain next week (I say "first" as if there will be a 2nd--yeah, right.) and will have lots of time to ponder these things. I may come back clear-headed and with great guesses. I could fall off the side and break my leg.

Either way, I'm getting excited about the upcoming season.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Season ticket renewal forms arrived today! And it appears the prices remained the same!

BTW: they host the <18 team to start the season on October 7th.
          Last edited by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.; 06-19-2012, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
            That first weekend and who is home which weekend are the question marks related to Michigan, but the first series will likely mimic the WMU weekend and be a F-Su series.
            Michigan announced their schedule today.

Thursday & Friday, November 15 & 16: Notre Dame at Michigan
            Friday & Saturday, February 8 & 9: Michigan at Notre Dame

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

Originally posted by Alton View Post
              Michigan announced their schedule today.
              Thanks. That means:

10/7 <18 team exhibition
              10/12-13 IB tourney
              10/18-19 UMD (Th-F due to football)
              10/26-27 @ NMU
              11/2-4 WMU (F-Sun due to football)
              11/9 @ BC
              11/15-16 @ Michigan (Th-F due to football)
              11/23-24 NoDak
              11/30-12/1 LSSU
              12/7-8 MSU
              12/14-15 @ BG
              1/5 @ Minnesota
              1/11-12 @ MSU
              1/18-19 UA(F)
              1/25-26 FSU
              2/1-2 @ OSU
              2/8-9 Michigan
              2/15-2/17 @ Miami
              2/22-23 @ WMU
              3/1-2 BG

A tad more than 15 weeks.

Comment

The time to start speculating about captains, break-out seasons, fantastic freshmen and so on is fast approaching. I am climbing my first mountain next week (I say "first" as if there will be a 2nd--yeah, right.) and will have lots of time to ponder these things. I may come back clear-headed and with great guesses. I could fall off the side and break my leg.
                So, Mr. JJfP and I were a third of the way into our climb when I started pondering captains. I got as far as "...Anders Lee..." when 2 things occurred to me:

1. Climbing a mountain is the hardest thing I have ever attempted. Ever.

2. The mountain appears to be on fire. No really.

*****https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/229899_428159333895451_775382832_n.jpg******

So, the mountain and the surrounding area were evacuated. Within 12 hours, the fire had grown to 2000 acres and was 0% contained. Good thing I had on my bucket list, "Climb a mountain" instead of "Summit a mountain" because that's it for me.

I'm going to stay below 9,000 feet above sea level (the altitude we made) unless I'm in a plane.

Comment

Hey guys,

Looks like I'm going to have split fandom from now on since I'll be at Notre Dame for the next 5+ years for grad school. I'll definitely be at every game as I'm a college hockey addict and have already added an ND hockey jersey to my collection. Please don't kick me out! J/K, looking forward to Oct!
                  Boston University 2009 Champs
                  Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
                    Hey guys,

Looks like I'm going to have split fandom from now on since I'll be at Notre Dame for the next 5+ years for grad school. I'll definitely be at every game as I'm a college hockey addict and have already added an ND hockey jersey to my collection. Please don't kick me out! J/K, looking forward to Oct!
                    I can attest that the ND fandom is welcoming of such divided loyalties.

(You may find that your priorities start to become a little muddled when you go to every ND game, though it'll probably be easier for you with BU likely to be good for the foreseeable future.)
                    Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                    Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                      I can attest that the ND fandom is welcoming of such divided loyalties.

(You may find that your priorities start to become a little muddled when you go to every ND game, though it'll probably be easier for you with BU likely to be good for the foreseeable future.)
                      Yeah I thought of that already. I'll wear my BU jersey when they come to town next year and later, but I'll likely know a lot more about ND's players by then than BU's...
                      Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
                        Hey guys,

Stop over and say, "Hey!"

Comment

Stop over and say, "Hey!"
                          Just look for the fan cheering against BC when Notre Dame is playing anyone else

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                            Just look for the fan cheering against BC when Notre Dame is playing anyone else
                            Yes, and I'll be sure to be sporting facepaint and glowsticks.
                            Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

So, Mr. JJfP and I were a third of the way into our climb when I started pondering captains. I got as far as "...Anders Lee..." when 2 things occurred to me:

1. Climbing a mountain is the hardest thing I have ever attempted. Ever.

2. The mountain appears to be on fire. No really.

*****https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/229899_428159333895451_775382832_n.jpg******

So, the mountain and the surrounding area were evacuated. Within 12 hours, the fire had grown to 2000 acres and was 0% contained. Good thing I had on my bucket list, "Climb a mountain" instead of "Summit a mountain" because that's it for me.

I'm going to stay below 9,000 feet above sea level (the altitude we made) unless I'm in a plane.
                              Captains for 2012-13 are a hard choice this year. I'd go with Sam Calabrese, Anders Lee and Bryan Rust.
                              Cindy

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
                              Courage to change the things I can,
                              And wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Third Family Member View Post
                                Captains for 2012-13 are a hard choice this year. I'd go with Sam Calabrese, Anders Lee and Bryan Rust.
                                I'd make Anders the sole captain and make Calabrese and Nick Lawson the Alternates.

Comment

Working...
                                X