Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Irish hockey: Straight Inta the Off-Season

Originally posted by hoosierpuck View Post
    Evans was snagged by the USHL Indy Ice in the futures draft on Tuesday also. Interesting proximity to South Bend. Just an observation.
    I have since heard that Jake was originally a highly touted OHL prospect but made it clear he wanted to play in the NCAA, that's why he dropped to the 8th round. I think this one is looking good.

Comment

Evans was snagged by the USHL Indy Ice...
      Also interesting to note, given your signature, that the Ice will be playing many of their games where the Pacers play as they need the room for the crowd.
      "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
        Also interesting to note, given your signature, that the Ice will be playing many of their games where the Pacers play as they need the room for the crowd.
        I wish that was the case!! We're moving to the Fieldhouse because our usual home (Pepsi Coliseum at the State Fairgrounds) is being closed for 2 years for renovations and there aren't any other facilities around here that can seat more than a few hundred. :-)
        Indiana's a basketball state ! Why am I here ??

Comment

I wish that was the case!! We're moving to the Fieldhouse because our usual home (Pepsi Coliseum at the State Fairgrounds) is being closed for 2 years for renovations and there aren't any other facilities around here that can seat more than a few hundred. :-)
          I know of a good hockey facility in the Hoosier state that can seat a few thousand if Canseco is not available.
          Notre Dame Hockey
          Reigning Big Ten Champions
          Reigning CCHA Champions
          Hockey East Lineal Champions

Comment

Do any of you season ticket holders, who seem to be ahead of the crowd on scheduling news, know anything about potential games on 11/9 at Boston College and 11/10 at Northeastern. I'm, pretty confident about the NU game, but the BC game is a just an educated guess considering the football game on 11/10 in Chestnut Hill. Depending on kickoff, I hope to be at all three.
            Notre Dame Hockey
            Reigning Big Ten Champions
            Reigning CCHA Champions
            Hockey East Lineal Champions

Comment

Originally posted by ND Hockey View Post
              Do any of you season ticket holders, who seem to be ahead of the crowd on scheduling news, know anything about potential games on 11/9 at Boston College and 11/10 at Northeastern. I'm, pretty confident about the NU game, but the BC game is a just an educated guess considering the football game on 11/10 in Chestnut Hill. Depending on kickoff, I hope to be at all three.
              What makes you so confident about Northeastern? I had already assumed we were playing Boston College on November 9th because of the football game the next day, as you mentioned. If we're definitely playing NU on November 10 then I would be even more inclined to think it's true.

Comment

Notre Dame seems to be one of the last teams to release an official schedule every year. Last year it was made public the last week of June, and that was as much as a month earlier than in other recent seasons. New and sustained interest in the program probably means the schedule release will be more in line with the timing of some of the other schools I would guess. In some seasons you could cobble the schedule together from the other schools who had released theirs weeks before Notre Dame bothered to issue theirs. But that's a lot of work.

Comment

Originally posted by ND Hockey View Post
                  I know of a good hockey facility in the Hoosier state that can seat a few thousand if Canseco is not available.
                  Oh hush now! Roadtrips to CFIA 2 or 3 times a season could be fun, but I don't think most of us regulars could do it consistently, especially not at $4/gallon.
                  Indiana's a basketball state ! Why am I here ??

Comment

Here's some speculation about the upcoming schedule (educated guesses are in italics):

10/12-13 IB tourney (ND, Army, Maine, UNO)
                    10/18-19 UMD (note: this is a Th-F series due to FB)
                    10/26-27 @ NMU
                    11/2-3 WMU (could be home-home given there is a FB game this weekend)
                    11/9-10 @ BC or NU (I have heard that both are going to happen, although the source for NU is more reliable. Both cannot happen given the limit of games allowed)
                    11/16-17 Michigan (both have home football games, so if this is the opponent, they could play Th-F or F-Su)
                    11/23-24 NoDak
                    11/30-12/1 @ LSSU (this is likely a definite since LSSU is the only available league opponent this weekend for ND to play and the open weekends are very few and far between now)
                    12/7-8 MSU
                    12/14-15 @ BG
                    1/5 @ Minnesota
                    1/11-12 @ MSU
                    1/18-19 UA(F)
                    1/25-26 FSU
                    2/1-2 @ OSU (again, like the LSSU weekend, Ohio State is the only league opponent available this weekend and the season is nearly over now, so they have to fit in here)
                    2/8-9 WMU (could be home-home--but the opponent could also be Michigan)
                    2/15-2/17 Miami (the Sunday game is the Soldier Field game, so am guessing the other game will be Friday, although they could schedule a single game during the week--God I hope not...)
                    2/22-23 Michigan (the opponent could also be Western Michigan)
                    3/1-2 BG

The earliest they can take the ice for an official practice is October 6th, so if they play an exhibition game against a Canadian college, it could be Sunday, October 7th or during the week before they leave for Kansas City. ND is in a cluster with BG, Michigan, MSU and WMU. They can play 36 games since they are in the Ice Breaker.

20 weeks.
                    Last edited by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.; 05-25-2012, 08:49 PM. Reason: brain cramp

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

2/15-2/17 Miami (the Sunday game is the Soldier Field game, so am guessing the other game will be Friday, although they could schedule a single game during the week--God I hope not...)
                      I recall seeing an article that mentioned a Friday-Sunday setup for all four games that weekend.

Comment

11/30-12/1 @ LSSU (this is likely a definite since LSSU is the only available league opponent this weekend for ND to play and the open weekends are very few and far between now)
                        Actually LSSU plays @ Notre Dame, but that date is most likely right.
                        LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                          I recall seeing an article that mentioned a Friday-Sunday setup for all four games that weekend.
                          Originally posted by LSSULaker889294
                          Actually LSSU plays @ Notre Dame, but that date is most likely right.
                          That likely means the Miami games are "away" if the LSSU games are home. Thanks for the clarification guys!

Comment

I altered the schedule speculations below because being on break apparently means my brain was left in the classroom. Classes start back up June 4th, so my brain is slowly engaging again.

Also INCH released their pre-season top 10 and Notre Dame made the list. Here's to 20 weeks of keeping fingers crossed.

Comment

I keep hearing that both the NU and BC games are happening on the weekend of November 9th and 10th. I hear we play BC on the 9th and NU on the 10th. I hear the IceBreaker Tournament doesn't count towards our overall count, could that be the problem?

After all, last year, we played 8 non-conference games: 2 @ Duluth, 1 vs. RPI, 2 vs. NorthEastern, 1 vs. BC, 1 vs. BU, 1 @ Minnesota. Not counting the IceBreaker, or the weekend we're in Boston, we have only 5 games scheduled according to your list. We have UMD at home for 2, North Dakota at home for 2, @ Minnesota for 1. Therefore, if the IceBreaker isn't counted, we have room for THREE more non-conference games: @BC on Nov. 9th, @NU on November 10th and another one.

Comment

Originally posted by NotreDameFan27 View Post
                                I keep hearing that both the NU and BC games are happening on the weekend of November 9th and 10th. I hear we play BC on the 9th and NU on the 10th. I hear the IceBreaker Tournament doesn't count towards our overall count, could that be the problem?

After all, last year, we played 8 non-conference games: 2 @ Duluth, 1 vs. RPI, 2 vs. NorthEastern, 1 vs. BC, 1 vs. BU, 1 @ Minnesota. Not counting the IceBreaker, or the weekend we're in Boston, we have only 5 games scheduled according to your list. We have UMD at home for 2, North Dakota at home for 2, @ Minnesota for 1. Therefore, if the IceBreaker isn't counted, we have room for THREE more non-conference games: @BC on Nov. 9th, @NU on November 10th and another one.
                                Exempt games (such as the HOF, the Ice Breaker tourney, single game against a foreign opponent and games in Alaska) are like freebies. They don't count towards your 34 allowed. So last season ND was in the HOF game and played the young Russians, both exempt, so we got to play a total of 36 games instead of the normal NCAA-allowed 34. Teams can only play 34 games that "count." The exempt games are the free ones.

This season ND plays in the IB tourney (2 freebies), so like last season, can schedule 36 games TOTAL; 34 that "count" and 2 that "don't." There are 28 conference games + 2 UMD + 2 NoDak + 1 Minnesota = 33 we know about. That leaves one more they can schedule to reach the 34. Is it BC or is it NU? The 2 IB tourney games are the "freebies."

There will be a quiz over this at the end of the week.

Comment

Working...
                                X