Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Irish hockey: Straight Inta the Off-Season

Originally posted by Savage View Post
    Say what you will about "all the frenchies", they certainly have a history of excellence at his position.
    True. But so do the Fins and the Czechs and I wouldn't want to play over there for two years either.

Comment

I see this as the same scenario with Jared Tinordi. Notre Dame is leverage for a better position (read: money) for up north. If he reneged on NU because he didn't want to sit on the bench, he won't come here to sit on the bench. I would find it hard to believe either Johnson or Summerhays is leaving. To be brutally honest, who would want them? Summerhays' numbers were good, but who knows how they'll be over the course of a full season? And why would Johnson leave with one year left and a kid brother playing here?
      "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

So did anyone attend the USHL game this weekend? What about this kid Gillies? Is his game as good as, better than, or not quite up to the numbers he puts up?

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
          So did anyone attend the USHL game this weekend? What about this kid Gillies? Is his game as good as, better than, or not quite up to the numbers he puts up?
          This was posted on NDNation from OITLinebacker:

"He looked pretty good saved something like 32 of 35 shots and scored an empty netter on a save+a bad centering feed. Hard to tell exactly how good he is as I am not sure how to read the level of those teams. To my eye they weren't as good as college level teams as the puck handling was not the greatest.

I have a few pictures an will try to post them later. Gillies is a tall kid. However, he seems a bit skinny for a goalie. He moves fairly well but was getting beat under his arms a lot in warmups and at least once in the game they got one by inside his arms. He haas good reach and with some work will most likely be a good goalie in the near future. In watching the Nashville-Detroit game I'd say he looks a bit like Renna(sp?), Nashvilles goalie.
          "

Not too informative, but since PC is now in the mix with Canadian Juniors, my skepticism of him choosing ND is growing by leaps and bounds as Providence will be in need of a goalie (they have two goalies returning who did not play at all and are question marks as starters), so his playing chances are greatly increased there.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
            This was posted on NDNation from OITLinebacker:

"He looked pretty good saved something like 32 of 35 shots and scored an empty netter on a save+a bad centering feed. Hard to tell exactly how good he is as I am not sure how to read the level of those teams. To my eye they weren't as good as college level teams as the puck handling was not the greatest.

I have a few pictures an will try to post them later. Gillies is a tall kid. However, he seems a bit skinny for a goalie. He moves fairly well but was getting beat under his arms a lot in warmups and at least once in the game they got one by inside his arms. He haas good reach and with some work will most likely be a good goalie in the near future. In watching the Nashville-Detroit game I'd say he looks a bit like Renna(sp?), Nashvilles goalie.
            "

Not too informative, but since PC is now in the mix with Canadian Juniors, my skepticism of him choosing ND is growing by leaps and bounds as Providence will be in need of a goalie (they have two goalies returning who did not play at all and are question marks as starters), so his playing chances are greatly increased there.
            He gave up 3 goals out of 30 shots and I, too, am becoming increasingly skeptical that he's coming to Notre Dame because after I wished him good luck and told him I hoped to see him play many games at the Compton Family Ice Arena he stopped following me on twitter. That can't be a good sign.

Comment

Originally posted by NotreDameFan27 View Post
              He gave up 3 goals out of 30 shots and I, too, am becoming increasingly skeptical that he's coming to Notre Dame because after I wished him good luck and told him I hoped to see him play many games at the Compton Family Ice Arena he stopped following me on twitter. That can't be a good sign.
              Or you could look at it that he doesn't want to court what could be seen as unacceptable contact by the NCAA. That said, I suspect you are correct.
              Cindy

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
              Courage to change the things I can,
              And wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Third Family Member View Post
                Or you could look at it that he doesn't want to court what could be seen as unacceptable contact by the NCAA. That said, I suspect you are correct.
                I'm beginning to think that it was just a situation where he visited Notre Dame and it became the "favorite." You see this with football recruiting all the time. He plans on visiting PC and Quebec soon, I suspect our chances will greatly diminish even further after those.

I wouldn't hold my breath with this kid. Even though sitting out a year and working with the trainers here at Notre Dame might be best for him, I don't think he's thinking that way. Let's just stick with Summerhays, let's turn the team over to him fully.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                  Here's pics my friend and I have taken throughout the season. THe top 3 sets of photos are from 4/14/12's game:
                  https://plus.google.com/103098394568...36877314/posts

CFIA is a gorgeous facility, and he'd be dumb not to take ND's offer, but what do I know about how a 20-something year old thinks?

His game is good but for a better part of the season our D has sucked wind and gave up 38-40+ SOG/game ... no goalie can hold that off on his own. For awhile (Nov-Jan) you could tell it took him a few minutes to get his head in the game: opposing teams had the most success scoring in the opening 2 minutes of every period. Guess that's a maturity thing he's going to have to work on.
                  Indiana's a basketball state ! Why am I here ??

Comment

Originally posted by hoosierpuck View Post
                    ...you could tell it took him a few minutes to get his head in the game: opposing teams had the most success scoring in the opening 2 minutes of every period.
                    Well, jeez. We already got that.

Comment

This is completely off-topic, but if anyone in the area likes rootsy Americana-type music, one of my favorite bands, Hoots and Hellmouth is coming to this area for the first time (they are a Philly band) and will be playing in a new club, Ignition Music Garage in Goshen Friday, May 18th. Highly recommend 'em.

Comment

Apparently nobody on the football team took a crap today, so the Tribune dug through its "In other news..." pile to find this dinosaur: Notre Dame (which surprisingly enough has a hockey team) might play outside.

In other real news, Calle Ridderwall is in town for a hockey visit and there are some games showing up on ND's schedule thus far: the Icebreaker tourney and UMD in October, NoDak for Thanksgiving, BG before Xmas break and to close out the regular season and at Minnesota for a game after the New Year. We are in a cluster with BG and Michigan and two of either FSU, MSU or WMU. Then, of course there's the game at Soldier Field. Yippee.

Comment

For those of you interested in taking a break from self-loathing for a second (just teasing), I've got information on our new commit from yesterday.

His name is Jake Evans, he played AAA Bantam in Mississauga. He got called up by the St. Michael's Buzzers, the same team Rich Ryan played for, and played 5 games where he recorded 4 points (two goals and two assists). He's only 16, I believe, so we're going to have to wait for him to play college hockey.

This past April he was drafted by the Kitchener Rangers (my favorite OHL team) in the 8th round. His scouting report from Kitchener reads as follows: "JAKE EVANS, RW, Mississauga Rebels, 6'0, 150. Notes: A two-way forward with good defensive skills. Needs to work on skating but has offensive flare."
                          Last edited by NotreDameFan27; 04-26-2012, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Kevin Deeth has started a health/nutrition/exercise blog at kevindeeth.wordpress.com.
                            Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                            Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                              Kevin Deeth has started a health/nutrition/exercise blog at kevindeeth.wordpress.com.
                              On a barely related note, it sounds like you can pencil in a Deeth family reunion for the second weekend in November when Notre Dame visits Matthews.
                              Notre Dame Hockey
                              Reigning Big Ten Champions
                              Reigning CCHA Champions
                              Hockey East Lineal Champions

Comment

Originally posted by NotreDameFan27 View Post
                                For those of you interested in taking a break from self-loathing for a second (just teasing), I've got information on our new commit from yesterday.

His name is Jake Evans, he played AAA Bantam in Mississauga. He got called up by the St. Michael's Buzzers, the same team Rich Ryan played for, and played 5 games where he recorded 4 points (two goals and two assists). He's only 16, I believe, so we're going to have to wait for him to play college hockey.

This past April he was drafted by the Kitchener Rangers (my favorite OHL team) in the 8th round. His scouting report from Kitchener reads as follows: "JAKE EVANS, RW, Mississauga Rebels, 6'0, 150. Notes: A two-way forward with good defensive skills. Needs to work on skating but has offensive flare."

Evans was snagged by the USHL Indy Ice in the futures draft on Tuesday also. Interesting proximity to South Bend. Just an observation.
                                Indiana's a basketball state ! Why am I here ??

Comment

Working...
                                X