X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012: Part The Sixth

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
    Being this is the first time I've seen BU play I have to ask if there is a back story to why they have the blue puzzle piece logos on the uniforms. Is there some connection or someone personally affected that they all wear the puzzle logos now? Big ups to the team for supporting a cause very important to me as well.
    The child of a family friend of Jack Parker has a fairly strong case of autism (not sure if that is the correct way to put it?). He was touched by the impact on the family, educated his players about it, and Autism Speaks became a sort of official team charity in the past couple of years. I know that not only do they wear the puzzle pieces, coaches and players both participate in fundraising and awareness actvities.

It's a pretty cool story about BU hockey and it's alleged Satan. Certainly a better story than the police blotter business.
    http://www.travisroyfoundation.org/

Comment

I would be shocked if Dallas didn't sign Chiasson immediately. I thought his game developed the most this year, and he could step right into the NHL. Not that I want to bring #3 back up again, nor do I wish Coyle any ill will, but Chiasson is in a way the anti-Coyle: Quebec kid with no ties to BU who grew his game in college and will be ready go at the pro level.
      http://www.travisroyfoundation.org/

Comment

• I'd like to commend the Freep on another stellar piece of journalism: Terriers prove heart not measured in trophies

Well done

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey Dogg View Post
          I would be shocked if Dallas didn't sign Chiasson immediately. I thought his game developed the most this year, and he could step right into the NHL. Not that I want to bring #3 back up again, nor do I wish Coyle any ill will, but Chiasson is in a way the anti-Coyle: Quebec kid with no ties to BU who grew his game in college and will be ready go at the pro level.
          Chiasson has been one of my favorite players to watch at BU. If he does leave (I'm still holding onto that .00001% chance that he might come back), it'll be sad that he never got to win anything tangible while at BU. Hope he has a long and successful NHL career.

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
            I'd like to commend the Freep on another stellar piece of journalism: Terriers prove heart not measured in trophies
            I liked thier piece on Angry Jack bashing Coyle better. Talk about holding a grudge.
            1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2018

Boston College Hockey: It's just that we're better than you.

B Who? Oh, you mean "Sux 2 B.U."

Comment

“I would say it was a rewarding season, to see what we went through,” said BU coach Jack Parker. “There was turmoil and there was sadness and kids’ roommates missing, kids they went to class with every day, and, ‘My best friend’s missing,’ ‘The guy I ate with five days a week at lunch is missing."

Not the best quote By JP IMHO. Not at all. I understand what he's saying, but it misses the mark.

You want to emphasize not to beat yourself,” said senior captain Chris Connolly. “One way is to stay out of the penalty box, and we obviously had an issue with that tonight. Throughout the game our team did a good job of being resilient as we have all year. It was never for a lack of effort – you just think, too many costly penalties had to cost us in certain situations.”

Never understood why everyone thought this guy "was a great captain" when he couldn't keep the team out of trouble ON or OFF the ice. Granted I've never met the man or been in the locker room but if you decide you can't "beat yourself" why is Courtnall leaving his feet and Escobedo trying to deposit Rau on the bench long after the puck is gone? Twenty penalty minutes a game? Playing short handed 1/3 of the match isn't the best way to do it, no?

The bottom line is that this team had a ton of talent and underachieved. Yes there were extenuating circumstances and yes they held it together...but should there have been these issues at all? It's been very hard to watch this team implode.

Let's just hope the drama is over and there aren't any further disciplinary actions taken for a "hotel drinking party" or something.
              Last edited by Jacques Joubert; 03-25-2012, 10:57 AM.
              Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                . Most of the better recruits at forward are for 2013, and there are rumors that at least one of the good ones (Kurker) is reconsidering.
                and Baillargeon. Kurker is 80/20 gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques Joubert View Post
                  The bottom line is that this team had a ton of talent and underachieved. Yes there were extenuating circumstances and yes they held it together...but should there have been these issues at all? It's been very hard to watch this team implode.
                  Absolutely. And is anyone else sick of seeing the bench shots of JP with that ****y, "I'm always angry" look or the [ long exhale..."I can't believe we took another penalty" ] look? I watch Jerry York encouraging his players, going up and down the bench patting them on the back. Who would YOU rather play for?

Comment

Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                    and Baillargeon. Kurker is 80/20 gone.
                    Do you have a source or are you speculating?

Comment

I have been a season ticket holder since 1976 and had attend games previously before obtaining my season tickets, so I feel that I can speak about what has happened to this program over the last decade or so. Watching games between BC and BU previous to these last 10 years or so were exciting and intense. Whether we care to admit it or not BC has been out recruiting us and to a certain extent outplaying us , just look at the frozen four appearances and that will add credibility to that. I would not bet against BC winning it again this year, which would not be pleasant but credit should be given to Jerry York for a year where he had some early departures of some excellent players but was able once again to recruit and put a formidable team to compete for another Championship. The year BC recruited Marty Reasoner, who was sought after by everyone, the landscape recruiting war between BC and BU changed, in our case for the worse. Previous to these last year's BU was always considered a team that you had to reckon with and they were feared, and wanted to attend, that has changed for whatever reason.
                      If you exclude the 2009 season, we have been best a very mediocre team the last five years. Unable to get out of the quarterfinals two previous years and this year barley escaping into the semi-final and losing there. The last two years to my knowledge 5 players were removed from the team, and one left during the season. Is this bad recruiting or problem's that are created between coaches and players?
                      The discipline off the ice is well documented and unacceptable, but the on ice discipline is as well unacceptable. When a team average's almost twenty minutes a game on penalties, this has to do with coaching. As a coach you have instill the need to play with intensity but always with the intent to play with a sense of being accountable in the manner to which you need to play. This is pretty apparent that the players lack this. It happened again yesterday. No longer is that sense when you sit in the Agganis arena that we will be the dominant team. I believe for BU to re-invent itself there needs to be a change at the top. All good things come to an end, and this is the time. A younger coach needs to resurrect this program to where it was 10 years ago. There is a quite a few people with coaching experience that would be a great choice for this job, but my two cents worth seeing him as a player and a coach would be David Quinn.

Comment

Originally posted by JimS View Post
                        I have been a season ticket holder since 1976 and had attend games previously before obtaining my season tickets, so I feel that I can speak about what has happened to this program over the last decade or so. Watching games between BC and BU previous to these last 10 years or so were exciting and intense. Whether we care to admit it or not BC has been out recruiting us and to a certain extent outplaying us , just look at the frozen four appearances and that will add credibility to that. I would not bet against BC winning it again this year, which would not be pleasant but credit should be given to Jerry York for a year where he had some early departures of some excellent players but was able once again to recruit and put a formidable team to compete for another Championship. The year BC recruited Marty Reasoner, who was sought after by everyone, the landscape recruiting war between BC and BU changed, in our case for the worse. Previous to these last year's BU was always considered a team that you had to reckon with and they were feared, and wanted to attend, that has changed for whatever reason.
                        If you exclude the 2009 season, we have been best a very mediocre team the last five years. Unable to get out of the quarterfinals two previous years and this year barley escaping into the semi-final and losing there. The last two years to my knowledge 5 players were removed from the team, and one left during the season. Is this bad recruiting or problem's that are created between coaches and players?
                        The discipline off the ice is well documented and unacceptable, but the on ice discipline is as well unacceptable. When a team average's almost twenty minutes a game on penalties, this has to do with coaching. As a coach you have instill the need to play with intensity but always with the intent to play with a sense of being accountable in the manner to which you need to play. This is pretty apparent that the players lack this. It happened again yesterday. No longer is that sense when you sit in the Agganis arena that we will be the dominant team. I believe for BU to re-invent itself there needs to be a change at the top. All good things come to an end, and this is the time. A younger coach needs to resurrect this program to where it was 10 years ago. There is a quite a few people with coaching experience that would be a great choice for this job, but my two cents worth seeing him as a player and a coach would be David Quinn.
                        Aside from a couple of taps on the return key, a very good first post. Welcome aboard. I agree with most of what you have to say. If we have the luxury of turning things back, I would go 15 years myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques Joubert View Post
                          “I would say it was a rewarding season, to see what we went through,” said BU coach Jack Parker. “There was turmoil and there was sadness and kids’ roommates missing, kids they went to class with every day, and, ‘My best friend’s missing,’ ‘The guy I ate with five days a week at lunch is missing."

Not the best quote By JP IMHO. Not at all. I understand what he's saying, but it misses the mark.

You want to emphasize not to beat yourself,” said senior captain Chris Connolly. “One way is to stay out of the penalty box, and we obviously had an issue with that tonight. Throughout the game our team did a good job of being resilient as we have all year. It was never for a lack of effort – you just think, too many costly penalties had to cost us in certain situations.”

Never understood why everyone thought this guy "was a great captain" when he couldn't keep the team out of trouble ON or OFF the ice. Granted I've never met the man or been in the locker room but if you decide you can't "beat yourself" why is Courtnall leaving his feet and Escobedo trying to deposit Rau on the bench long after the puck is gone? Twenty penalty minutes a game? Playing short handed 1/3 of the match isn't the best way to do it, no?

Let's just hope the drama is over and there aren't any further disciplinary actions taken for a "hotel drinking party" or something.
                          I agree with everything you mentioned. Just because he was a highly skilled player (he finished with the most assists by a BU player since Chris Drury), does not mean he was a great captain.

He seems like a nice enough guy, but didn't seem to prevent a lot of the problems that occured this year (on or off the ice). Although, who would have been a good alternative to have as captain?
                          Last edited by Boston22; 03-25-2012, 01:21 PM.

Comment

I have been a season ticket holder since 1976 and had attend games previously before obtaining my season tickets, so I feel that I can speak about what has happened to this program over the last decade or so...
                            Excellent post.
                            if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

The BC game starts at 8:00 PM? Does anyone know why so late? Is it BBall?

Why not start the thing at midnight?
                              if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Like others have responded - a good post.

I recall that Jamie O'Leary was considered by many to be the first top flight recruit that York brought on board. While he didn't have the impact that Reasoner did, I think it was a slightly earlier start of the turnaround for BC (was he one year or two before Reasoner?). I can even remember the game where the turnaround started to show on the ice for me. After we had pretty much dominated the head to head for a few years, BC tied BU 5-5 at WBA, I believe with Reasoner scoring the last two goals to tie the game. I believe that three successive classes were led by Reasoner, Farkas, and Gionta. The recruiting has generally not slowed down since then despite some hiccups like Pineault. At the same time, Parker's recruiting suffered for various reasons, including the old arena and challenges with the '95-'96 freshman class (Travis, Walsh, Scott King, etc.).

While I have no reason other than my gut to think so, I have this feeling that Parker is going to make next season his last at BU. 40 years is a nice round number. This season has to have added some pressure for him to move on, even if the investigation doesn't lead to him formally ask him to retire. I have to think that as he looks around him, he HAS to start feeling like he is the old man who won't leave. I know York is the same age, but when you are bringing home trophies hand over fist, it doesn't really spark the same thought process. Is it now three years in a row without a single trophy for BU? I think so. I mean we used to at least be able to count on the Beanpot at least every other year. I hate to keep bringing this up, but were it not for 2009, a team loaded with NHL talent, how would the fan base feel now?
                                BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Working...
                                X