X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012: Part The Sixth

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
    So which is the chicken and which is the egg? Have we not had many NHL players (outside of the 2009 group) because we are not preparing them well? Or because we are not getting players bound for the NHL to begin with?
    since 1999 draft

2nd rd picks
    spang
    cavanaugh
    mcconnell
    bourque

3rd rd picks
    gryba
    collins
    employee #6
    aufiero

4th rd picks
    laliberte
    redlihs
    dyment

.... you tell me
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Is anyone taking nominations for "dumbest comment ever" on USCHO?
      The Gopher fan that said BC traps last week already won that prize. We are pretty sure he was being serious.

But anyone is free to go for 2nd place.
      Originally posted by reBlur
      the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
        The Gopher fan that said BC traps last week already won that prize. We are pretty sure he was being serious.

I'm still on board with TimP's fall '08 jewel proclaiming Matt Gilroy can't play defense.
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          since 1999 draft

2nd rd picks
          spang
          cavanaugh
          mcconnell
          bourque

3rd rd picks
          gryba
          collins
          employee #6
          aufiero

4th rd picks
          laliberte
          redlihs
          dyment

.... you tell me
          Not trying to be a wise guy but that does not really give us enough info here... what percentage of 3rd and 4th round picks end up seeing regular time in the NHL? How about 2nd round picks? Didn't look up everyone's history, but it looks as if several of these guys spent quite a few years after BU trying (I assume) to make it to the NHL... so the AHL / ECHL didn't prepare them either.

As far as the 6 NHL'ers from the 2009 group we had 2 1st rounders, a 3rd rounder (Was Strait the 3rd round?) a 6th, an 8th and undrafted.... and those guys developed fine...

I don't have the answers... just throwing it out there as food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
            I'm still on board with TimP's fall '08 jewel proclaiming Matt Gilroy can't play defense.
            Looks like we are going for 3rd place at best....

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
              Do you know the BU v DU date yet, and/or what day of the week it is? (please say Saturday, please say Saturday)
              Sorry. Not Saturday. It's Monday. December 31st. In Denver.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Marchaud View Post
                Doesn't matter. One look at the composition of the Task Force tells you this is going to be a whitewash.
                I can't really say a whole lot about the task force, but I would just advise people to not make this assumption. It's wrong, plain and simple. I met with a couple members of the task force and I can guarantee you they're taking this seriously and exploring everything. None of them would've even bothered joining if it was gonna be a whitewash, or if it had been put together simply for PR purposes. And although their task is to focus on the hockey team, they are looking at the larger BU culture as well. It isn't their primary focus, but if they come to the conclusion that BU as a whole is the problem, one of their recommendations could be to delve deeper into that.
                Last edited by Federal League; 04-09-2012, 08:57 PM.
                Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Not trying to be a wise guy but that does not really give us enough info here... what percentage of 3rd and 4th round picks end up seeing regular time in the NHL? How about 2nd round picks? Didn't look up everyone's history, but it looks as if several of these guys spent quite a few years after BU trying (I assume) to make it to the NHL... so the AHL / ECHL didn't prepare them either.

As far as the 6 NHL'ers from the 2009 group we had 2 1st rounders, a 3rd rounder (Was Strait the 3rd round?) a 6th, an 8th and undrafted.... and those guys developed fine...

There have certainly still been instances where BU has been a good stepping stone to the NHL - but it is true that most were on that 09 team.

I think the real issue is that we used to be able to point to "Players in the NHL" as a real strength of the BU program. I don't know the exact count for BC these days, but I'm pretty sure they have passed BU by. As guys like Amonte, McEachern, Young, and Tkachuk have retired, there just aren't many of the older class left - Aucoin is probably one of the oldest now.
                  BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

i wouldn't put strait into the 'made it' group just yet.

some guys take time (think of brian boyle). they get time to show what they can accomplish. others who are drafted high get the boot quickly... drafting certainly isn't an exact science. wonder if angelo esposito will stick if he ever gets there.
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
                      Are you kidding me? Your team makes the National news for multiple sexual assaults and at the same time, other students are coming out of the woodwork making similar disturbing accusations, to the point where a task force is set up to figure out what's wrong with this "animal house" program and you think the coach isn't somewhat responsible? Did you hear some of the comments he made about it being out of his control? And this is all beside the fact that the program has more or less been in the dumper for 15 years. He11, even most of your own fans think he should step down
                      I'll take the bait. C'mon CB, that was an dumb post and you know it. And now with your retort you are trying to flip the perspective and make it sound like BU fans are saying that Parker is not at fault here. There is a large spread between a situation where the coach not quitting before an investigation is even concluded means he has no shame and a situation where the coach could be found to be part of the problem and could be disciplined or even be asked to step down. You know I'm as ready as anyone for Parker to move on, but saying he has no shame in this situation is ridiculous.

Based on what I read on here, I would say 80% of BU fans approved of how Parker handled the Trivino situation. He made clear what the boundary was, Trivino stepped over it, and he was immediately removed from the team. Nicastro's case on the surface seems much more troubling both in terms of the offense allegedly committed, and the fact that it seemed that he had somewhat of a reputation for being a "womanizer" or whatever you want to call it. So I do fault Parker for not recognizing that he potentially had a time bomb on his hands, but I don't think it is appropriate that he quit just as a result of it. Again, I do wish he would step down, but my reasons are because of what I see with the on-ice results. Now, that could all change if it comes to light that he really ignored some signs with Nicastro, or if he has really been an enabler of the mentality that these guys walk on water.
                      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                        Do you have an update on the UND series dates by chance? Heard conflicting reports since I last posted and linked Grand Forks Herald saying it is going to be 11/2 and 11/3...Thanks

Comment

After spending the last hour reading through this thread I must say that in a sad way I'm optimistic at the broad tone of the posts. The introspection that is going on within the BU hockey community is a healthy sign. There are so many elements that contribute to a program's culture, success, failure and ultimate direction that it is not a single thing that can be identified, disected and acted upon.

The on and off ice issues are complex. An autoposy performed on the deterioration of this proud program seems a bit like looking back on an auto accident and realizing that a hundred different factors had to come togeter at once to result in that moment of impact. If any of those factors were changed the accident would have been avoided. That said, repeatedly allowing those associated with the program to flirt in harms way only increases the probability of an accident. My point is that the shocking incidents at some point were bound to happen when the core issues that have continued to build went unaddressed.

I for one am on the side that this introspection will ultimately lead to good people working hard to make decisions that wil lead to positive changes going forward resulting in fewer instances of the program and its member constituents putting themselves in harms way by learning to make better decisions. I appreciate reading the many perspectives here and hope that those in charge will use fact finding and open dialogue to serve as a guide in restoring the program to one of respect, character and pride for the BU community. If we acheive those goals I believe success on the ice will follow.

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                            I'll take the bait. C'mon CB, that was an dumb post and you know it. And now with your retort you are trying to flip the perspective and make it sound like BU fans are saying that Parker is not at fault here. There is a large spread between a situation where the coach not quitting before an investigation is even concluded means he has no shame and a situation where the coach could be found to be part of the problem and could be disciplined or even be asked to step down. You know I'm as ready as anyone for Parker to move on, but saying he has no shame in this situation is ridiculous.

Based on what I read on here, I would say 80% of BU fans approved of how Parker handled the Trivino situation. He made clear what the boundary was, Trivino stepped over it, and he was immediately removed from the team. Nicastro's case on the surface seems much more troubling both in terms of the offense allegedly committed, and the fact that it seemed that he had somewhat of a reputation for being a "womanizer" or whatever you want to call it. So I do fault Parker for not recognizing that he potentially had a time bomb on his hands, but I don't think it is appropriate that he quit just as a result of it. Again, I do wish he would step down, but my reasons are because of what I see with the on-ice results. Now, that could all change if it comes to light that he really ignored some signs with Nicastro, or if he has really been an enabler of the mentality that these guys walk on water.
                            They need to wipe the slate completely clean at BU and start over from scratch; and at this stage of Parker's career, after all that has come to light this year, and after all the failures on the ice, do you REALLY think he's the guy you want leading that charge? From what I have seen, he rarely if ever takes responsibility when things go bad and I don't expect it to change with this investigation. If he wants to stick around until the investigation is complete, then so be it, but at this point, as far as I'm concerned he's nothing more than a lame duck coach.

Comment

Has Kurker decommitted?
                              Husky Hockey heading to the top of the bottom!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                                Interesting, wouldn't have to miss work for it since Tuesday would be a Holiday as well, but the holiday raises the price of everything. Win some and lose some.

Comment

Working...
                                X