X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012: Part The Sixth

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
    The letter was addressed to "All members of the Boston University Community." I posted it here in the hopes that maybe some members of that community not on the email distribution lists might have a chance to see it. For the record, all of the previous emails have been posted to the BU website (this one hasn't yet, but that's probably because it was just sent an hour ago).
    For the record, my post was not a specific dig at you and I apologize if you took it that way. I know all the other emails were posted here and it bothered me then as well. And that's just my opinion. I know the email is sent to the Boston University Community but it's still a targeted list. Non Boston University Community people come here and, well, who knows what kind of response they will get from Non Boston University Community people. If the University makes this public on their site, then post a link to it and drive people there. That wouldn't bother me as much. Because, you know, it is all about me.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

I think that by accepting anyoymous input they are opening themselves up to potentially less credible information....
      Agreed, and I believe that is Scarlet's concern about it being broadcast on this message board. All it takes is a couple of fans that hate BU with nothing else better to do than to start making false allegations on that website.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
        Agreed, and I believe that is Scarlet's concern about it being broadcast on this message board. All it takes is a couple of fans that hate BU with nothing else better to do than to start making false allegations on that website.
        Which seemed to happen on the Freep blog multiple times. Don't know if anything ever came of those allegations from "moms with daughters at BU" who supposedly were groped by hockey players at T's, but if that's what this open forum email submission turns into, that's not a productive discussion for the task force to be having.
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
          Which seemed to happen on the Freep blog multiple times. Don't know if anything ever came of those allegations from "moms with daughters at BU" who supposedly were groped by hockey players at T's, but if that's what this open forum email submission turns into, that's not a productive discussion for the task force to be having.
          Yes and based on the timeframe of:

February 23rd- Announce there will be a task force
          12 days pass
          March 7th- Announce who is on the task force
          33 days pass
          April 9th- Ask people for some information so that they can look into things
          36 days pass
          May 15th- End of public information submission.

If they have to slow down to look into bogus accounts this will not be complete until well after the incoming recruits have graduated (or left to play for the Sea Dogs).

Comment

Not much to worry about vindictive people outside the BU Community providing input that will influence the Task Force. Even the current web link excludes some members of the BU community. I personally cannot get on the site to provide input because I do not have a BU log in ID. So I am not a member of the "BU Community" even though I have a degree from SMG, have been a season ticket holder since 2000, and have contributed over $20k to the hockey program in the last decade.

Doesn't matter. One look at the composition of the Task Force tells you this is going to be a whitewash. It is composed almost entirely of BU insiders -- even the "outsiders" are BU Trustees. Consequently, it lacks credibility even before it begins its work. Can you imagine the howls if Penn State had rolled out an investigative Task Force composed entirely of Penn State insiders? (Yes, Penn State's problem was order of magnitude larger, but the principle is the same: investigations need to be done by independent outsiders with expertise in the relevant fields.)

You will look in vain for Task Force members who are experts in sports and culture and experts in the linkages between "culture and climate" and sexual assault or other unacceptable behaviors. Where are members like Dan Lebowitz over at Northeastern's Sports and Society, or David Lisak at UMass Boston, an internationally respected expert on the subject of on-campus sexual assault? These are just two people who are right in BU's backyard. Such independent, outside experts would not only produce a more competent investigation, they would provide the necessary measure of independence to ensure the Task Force's findings would be credible. They are not hard to find and recruit. The fact that these types are not on the Task Force sadly suggests that the Task Force is not really interested in getting to the root cause of the problem.

Finally, the Task Force's mission is restricted to look only at the Men's Hockey program. What if it turns out that the "culture and climate" of the Men's Hockey program merely reflects the "culture and climate" of the larger BU community -- a "culture and climate" that is determined less by Jack Parker and his staff than by many influential BU administrators, faculty and staff across the wider campus?

Oh well, if it is a whitewash, that'll mean two less checks to write this fall -- one for the tickets, one for the donation.

Comment

Hard to believe Parker has the sack to actually stick around while this "investigation" is ongoing. Does he not have any shame?

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
                Hard to believe Parker has the sack to actually stick around while this "investigation" is ongoing. Does he not have any shame?
                ...?
                Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

It wasn't until he put up big numbers last year in his first year in the USHL that he was noticed. He did real well in some lesser HS league I think prior to the USHL and most assumed that was his ceiling, but Cronin must have had an inkling that he was the real deal so he offered him early and thus had him tied up by the time he started wowing everyone in the USHL.
                  Gaudreau was always good even very young and he played in a league no less than the boys being recruited out of mass MIAA hockey.(Kurker and Collier) It must have been his size.

Comment

Originally posted by brookie View Post
                    Gaudreau was always good even very young and he played in a league no less than the boys being recruited out of mass MIAA hockey.(Kurker and Collier) It must have been his size.
                    Uhmmm, that's pretty much exactly what I said; he did very well in a lesser HS league (compared to the USHL, Preps, etc) and most thought that due to his slight size that was his ceiling. After he put up big numbers in the USHL, then people realized he was the real deal.

Comment

Originally posted by wtbu60 View Post
                      BU's Down Cycle - They're Still Not That Bad

Yet while BU has experienced 15 years in a down cycle for NCAA hockey (7-8 in NCAA Tournament games, compared to BC’s record of 32-9 in NCAA Tournament games and ten Frozen Fours during those 15 seasons), they’ve still been considered among the top 20 teams in the country in many of those years.
                      In D-1 hockey, being top 20 means your 5 teams above average - I wouldn't use that as a barometer to make the point that they've actually been a very good team in many of those years. Some, yes, but not many.
                      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by quiddlet View Post
                        ...?
                        Is anyone taking nominations for "dumbest comment ever" on USCHO?

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post

If you want to play the if game, (useless but for the offseason) who would you take in a matchup between both teams' full rosters with Trivino/Coyle/Nicastro? Hard to put that beyond a coin flip.
                          There was a time period during the year when you may have been able to argue that the full squads were pretty equal. And yes, the timing of BU losing their players somewhat coincides with BC starting their streak. However, the track record since 2001 tells me that the latter was not related to the former, but was BC just going on their standard second half roll. So to me, there is no question which full roster team I would take (assuming the coach joins them), and it ain't the team I root for.
                          BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                            In D-1 hockey, being top 20 means your 5 teams above average - I wouldn't use that as a barometer to make the point that they've actually been a very good team in many of those years. Some, yes, but not many.
                            there is a whole lot of hurt in that post... top 20.. out of 58

TEN frozen fours vs NINE ncaa tournament appearances.
                            7-8 means:
                            4-0
                            1-1
                            1-1
                            1-1
                            and 5 one-and-done's.
                            luckily the three 1-1 were benefits of playing jan brady, uno, and harvard.

and can we stop with the 'bu prepares players for the nhl. that's why they don't stay for 3 or 4 years'!

outside of the 2009 group, who played in the nhl that came through bu between 1999 and 2009, et.al?
                            whitney?
                            freddy?
                            i suppose we can count a goalie - dipietro.

i'm not inclined to get a hard on over a cup of coffee with the others. sorry

..and to top it all off... "eastern elite - uhn"
                            ?!?!?!
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                              Is anyone taking nominations for "dumbest comment ever" on USCHO?
                              Are you kidding me? Your team makes the National news for multiple sexual assaults and at the same time, other students are coming out of the woodwork making similar disturbing accusations, to the point where a task force is set up to figure out what's wrong with this "animal house" program and you think the coach isn't somewhat responsible? Did you hear some of the comments he made about it being out of his control? And this is all beside the fact that the program has more or less been in the dumper for 15 years. He11, even most of your own fans think he should step down
                              Last edited by carltonbarrett; 04-09-2012, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post

and can we stop with the 'bu prepares players for the nhl. that's why they don't stay for 3 or 4 years'!

outside of the 2009 group, who played in the nhl that came through bu between 1999 and 2009, et.al?
                                whitney?
                                freddy?
                                i suppose we can count a goalie - dipietro.
                                So which is the chicken and which is the egg? Have we not had many NHL players (outside of the 2009 group) because we are not preparing them well? Or because we are not getting players bound for the NHL to begin with?

Comment

Working...
                                X