X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012: Part The Sixth

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    Hey guys. Happy Easter.

Question: Is this the worst thing ever? Or are there things worse than this? Just curious.
    Hey Tony. Welcome to #5. You'll like it. But really, you guys should slow down. Take a look around. Enjoy life. Let somebody win for a change. It's the decent thing to do.
    Bugs Bunny - 96
    Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
      Question: Is this the worst thing ever? Or are there things worse than this? Just curious.
      If only the superfanboys were as classy as their coach.....

Originally posted by Jacques Joubert View Post
      Very
      But they weren't on the team and maybe, just maybe that's Parker's fault?
      Warsofsky not so much with the whole jr year and contract thingy. Trivino and Nicastro I think would be hard to pin on Parker. Coyle you definitely make an argument for. I mean, if he had been totally loving his experience here would he have left? (Assuming there was really no issue with the academic side of things?)

Even if we had the three who left this season, it would be very hard to say we would have beaten BC at the end of the year given the way they came together as the season went on. But certainly you could assume we would have done better.... maybe win the beanpot or regular season Hockey East, advance to the HE finals and win in the first round of the NCAA or something along those lines?

Comment

What BC has done is essentially created another category, in which they stand alone. Call it the Superpower. Next are the elites, like North Dakota, Michigan, etc. that have made the FF somewhat regularly. Below that is the "above average" of which I would put BU right in the middle, but sliding. This group makes the NCAA's about every other year, but doesn't make it to the FF regularly.

So, yeah, BU still tends to have winning seasons, and makes the NCAA's about every other year. But save for 2009, they haven't been close to tasting the ultimate prize in a long time. 2006 was a year I thought we had a shot, but BC took all the wind out of our sails in Worcester.
        BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

Warsofsky not so much with the whole jr year and contract thingy. Trivino and Nicastro I think would be hard to pin on Parker. Coyle you definitely make an argument for. I mean, if he had been totally loving his experience here would he have left? (Assuming there was really no issue with the academic side of things?)

Even if we had the three who left this season, it would be very hard to say we would have beaten BC at the end of the year given the way they came together as the season went on. But certainly you could assume we would have done better.... maybe win the beanpot or regular season Hockey East, advance to the HE finals and win in the first round of the NCAA or something along those lines?
          Dont worry about Grant he has the maturity of a 13 yr old and despite his BC degree is still the loser he will always be.

I disagree about Nicastro and Trivino of course Parker has a hand in that, its called leadership. Not the "boys will be boys" response he had, is there any wonder why the Animal House culture has existed there for years.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
            Why try and reach the unattainable? This is much more fun.
            Originally posted by Jofa View Post
            Dont worry about Grant he has the maturity of a 13 yr old and despite his BC degree is still the loser he will always be.
            *****http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/2573_142648960076_835860076_6112369_884969_n.jpg******
            *****http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/3058649/BC_large.jpg******
            *****http://collegecandy.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/crying_baby.jpg******
            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
              2006 was a year I thought we had a shot, but BC took all the wind out of our sails in Worcester.
              IMO, that ONE game tipped the scales in BC's favor for the forseeable future. At that point BC still only had 2 NCs (1949 and 2001) and nobody thought that they had a chance to catch us anytime soon (who could have foreseen 3 in 5 years!). We had beaten them four in a row that year and it was a "given" that we would win that game and go to the Frozen Four. The psychological damage (not to mention public perception) done to the program that night may never be repairable. From that point on, we were always "looking up" at BC. Now they have all the confidence and we are playing the role they always did - doubting whether or not we can compete with them and coming up short year after year.

Well, it wouldn't be if it causes us to change our approach and philosophy to how we recruit. I was hoping the fact that this is happening right in our back yard would make "someone" at BU notice and develop more of a sense of urgency. But clearly we're content being able to say we put a ton of players in the NHL, and that this is more important than instilling a team-first, unselfish COLLEGE identity. If you know before you get here it's one year and on to the pros, what incentive is there to develop a "winning" mindset? Why would one care, if it's not in the best interests of their careers? We've become strictly a feeder system and apparently the argument is that it "helps" more of these guys achieve their "lifelong" goals, as though we're just some good samaritans doing a good deed for someone... BC's program is one to emulate and they have set standards that will be difficult to attain, but it seems as though we don't even care to try...

Comment

[QUOTE=Jacques Joubert; if you put Jimmy Hayes and Cam Atkinson on BC this year we might be talking about the first undefeated team in history...

Cornell in 1969-70 is the only team to go undefeated and untied in Div 1: 29-0-0 (and it was Brian Cropper not Ken Dryden who was between the pipes. Other teams of note: 1960-61 Denver 30-1-1 and Maine IIRC 42-1-2 in 1993 with sole loss to BU at Alfond. There were a couple of great Cornell teams that lost 1 game in1968 FF semifinal and 2 including the 1969 Final, otherwise the 1966-67 - 1969-70 may have been 4 in a row.

As for our teams 1971 Chaps 28-2-1 and 1978 Champs 30-2. As I said in a previous post BC is working their model extremely well and gaining a consistency that we saw in the 1970'S & 1990's .Let's hope we can return to those good days.
                Last edited by CDRAL; 04-08-2012, 11:02 AM. Reason: Spelling error; should say pipes not pies

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                  IMO, that ONE game tipped the scales in BC's favor for the forseeable future. At that point BC still only had 2 NCs (1949 and 2001) and nobody thought that they had a chance to catch us anytime soon (who could have foreseen 3 in 5 years!). We had beaten them four in a row that year and it was a "given" that we would win that game and go to the Frozen Four. The psychological damage (not to mention public perception) done to the program that night may never be repairable. From that point on, we were always "looking up" at BC. Now they have all the confidence and we are playing the role they always did - doubting whether or not we can compete with them and coming up short year after year.
                  This ^

Most people look back at 1998 as the turning point, but to me 2006 was the real turning point. BU was due for a downturn after all the success in the 90's. It happens. Meanwhile, BC peaked from 1998-2001 including winning it all in '01. Even during this initial downturn BU was 1 goal from a F4 appearance in '00. From 2002 to 2005 BU and BC were more evenly matched. Both missed the NCAAs only once during this span. BC did make the F4 in '04 which still gave them an edge, but not by much. 2005-'06 looked to be the year BU was truly back in the national spotlight. This was the first time since 1997-1998 that BU could lay claim as the team to beat in HE. They finished the season as one of the hottest teams in the nation, won their 1st HE title since 1997, and earned a #1 seed in the NCAAs. They also defeated BC 4 straight times, including 2 for hardware (Beanpot, HE title). It looked like BU was back on top. Well, we all know how that season ended up. Since then BC really kicked it up a notch and BU regressed...

'06-'07 toothless offense relied on Curry to carry them - 1 and done in NCAAs
                  '07-'08 good offense, but no goalie - no NCAAs
                  '08-'09 offense, defense and a goalie - National Champs
                  '09-'10 underachieved, mailed it in - no NCAAs
                  '10-'11 talented, but young - no NCAAs
                  '11-'12 F4 capable team, but off ice issues killed them
                  '12-'13

Comment

Coyle screws us again...we couldve had Gaudreau.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                      Coyle screws us again...we couldve had Gaudreau.
                      Apparently you just read the same article I did. If you take it at face value, just think, for Gaudreau to come to BC they needed:

1. Cronin to leave Northeastern, thereby putting Gaudreau back on the market.

2. Coyle to tell Parker he was coming back to BU, leaving BU with no scholarship available.

3. Samuelsson to bolt BC in August opening up a scholarship for BC.

The fates have truly smiled upon BC.
                      The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
                      BC - 12
                      BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Bigus Paulus View Post
                        This ^
                        Most people look back at 1998 as the turning point, but to me 2006 was the real turning point.
                        Although none us realized at the time, BC's hiring of York was the turning point. As soon as he arrived, the recruiting axis turned in BC's favor. While BU still had championship calibre teams through the 1997-98 season, the tables had started to turn in BC's favor. BU's talent was in its upperclassmen, BC's was in its underclassmen. By the time BU lost to UNH in the 1998 regional final about 4 hours after BC had trounced CC to reach the FF, the transformation was complete.

As far as the exact moment BC took control of the rivalry, how about this? In December 1997, BU beat BC at Conte. The game was on a Sunday afternoon. A month later, shortly after New Year, the two teams met again at Conte. BU broke out to an early 2 - 0 lead. Chris Drury broke in alone on Clemmensen with a great chance to give BU a 3 goal lead. Clemmensen stopped him, BC came from behind to win, the rest is history. I always look back at that moment as the time BU's dynasty came to an end.
                        Last edited by buoldtimer; 04-08-2012, 04:58 PM.
                        if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by Cross Check View Post
                          Apparently you just read the same article I did. If you take it at face value, just think, for Gaudreau to come to BC they needed:

1. Cronin to leave Northeastern, thereby putting Gaudreau back on the market.

2. Coyle to tell Parker he was coming back to BU, leaving BU with no scholarship available.

3. Samuelsson to bolt BC in August opening up a scholarship for BC.

The fates have truly smiled upon BC.
                          I suppose...but if he came to BU he would have gotten worse and gotten into trouble.

We have Cason Hohmann though! I wonder what York could do with him?
                          Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

Comment

Buoldtimer, I think you're being a little too specific. Had drury scored that, the end results of york's tenure would have been the same IMO.

And yes, BU *could* have had gaudreau, but given BC's rep with small players, I think he still would have ended up at BC.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              Buoldtimer, I think you're being a little too specific. Had drury scored that, the end results of york's tenure would have been the same IMO.

And yes, BU *could* have had gaudreau, but given BC's rep with small players, I think he still would have ended up at BC.
                              But my point was, that game marked the turning point. At least in my mind.
                              if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post

True, but he did originally choose NU, which is somewhat puzzling given his extreme level of skill, so who knows.
                                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
                                X