Hurried math, so this might be less than perfect, but

Frozen Fours 1998-2012

10 -- BC
    7 -- North Dakota
    6 -- Maine, Michigan
    4 -- Minnesota, UNH
    3 -- Mich St
    2 -- Denver, UMD, Wisc, NotreDame, Miami
    1 -- Ohio St, St Lawrence, Cornell, CC, RIT, Bemidji, Vermont, Ferris, Union, BU
    Sobering...

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012: Part The Sixth

I think Minnesota right now has the best chance of anyone to beat BC this year, with all the qualifications and caveats that implies.

If the team that was #1 earlier in the year and that just solidly handled a very good North Dakota team for all 60 minutes shows up, we're looking at an amazing hockey game.

If the team that went 7-8 around December-January shows up, the team that lost to Northeastern, the team that gave up 5 goals in the 3rd period to blow their conference semi-final game shows up, we're turning the channel to Man vs. Food half-way through the 2nd.
      Bugs Bunny - 96
      Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
        Careful, though. Minnesota is HOT and they are flying. I would probably go out on a limb (not being disrespectful to Union or Ferris State) that the BC/Minn semi-final is most likely the championship game. But don't think it will be that easy to beat them...that would be a big mistake (well, the only thing that matters is what the players think anyway).
        BC-Minny is the title game, Ferris/Union has no shot. Minny has a snowball's chance in Hawaii.
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Notes on Saturday's game:

Man was it fun to watch Chiasson go up against Bjugstad. Those are two big, strong, nimble and just plain confident-looking players, and there they were, taking faceoffs against each other.

MN's Kyle Rau (#7) is an amazing player to watch. One of those 5'6" guys who is always making things happen. Almost Gerbe-like, except without the *cough!* sleight-of-hand Nathan is so talented at. North Dakota hit Rau yesterday several times with flat-out cheap hits, but Rau beats you by popping up faster than you'd expect, and by getting right back into the play instead of turning around to pop you back.

It was also great to see Chris Connolly play in person. Great hustle, solid play, every time.
          Bugs Bunny - 96
          Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
            BC-Minny is the title game, Ferris/Union has no shot. Minny has a snowball's chance in Hawaii.
            I will take that bet. Hawaii averages a couple inches of snowfall every year due to the high elevations of the volcanoes which top over 10,000 feet. Granted, I don't know how many snowballs are tossed around....but if Minny has a snowballs chance in Hawaii...then we are in good shape.

Comment

Originally posted by Gphrpkhead View Post
              I will take that bet. Hawaii averages a couple inches of snowfall every year due to the high elevations of the volcanoes which top over 10,000 feet. Granted, I don't know how many snowballs are tossed around....but if Minny has a snowballs chance in Hawaii...then we are in good shape.
              I'd love to lose the bet! Problem is, it won't happen.
              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

might be typical announcer hyperbole but I got the impression that Union's goalie might be good enough to carry them (is that remotely possible?)...of course if BC gives up no goals they will be hard to beat.
                I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
                  might be typical announcer hyperbole but I got the impression that Union's goalie might be good enough to carry them (is that remotely possible?)...of course if BC gives up no goals they will be hard to beat.
                  not a chance. gophers or no one. my money's hard on no one.
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                    I'd love to lose the bet! Problem is, it won't happen.
                    I know all about BC. They are solid....well coached....just put marched through the regional like it was an inconvenience....ranked #1 etc.

One game is one game. I would imagine if this thread happened at the 1980 Olympic games.....no one would give the USA much of a chance either. And the match-up between these two teams (on paper) is much much closer than that game ever was. I agree that I don't think Union has much of a chance. I wouldn't count out Ferris State. I think they are going to give Union all they can handle and come out on top. I predict the winner of BC/Minny will be playing Ferris State for the NC.

Comment

You guys of all people should know being the favorite/overwhelming favorite doesn't mean anything. You needed a miraculous comeback to defeat Miami, BC loses to MSU in 2007, BC loses to CC last year, UND loses in St. Paul last year. Minnesota is better than UMD. I fully expect a stiff challenge from the Gophers.

Comment

Anybody talking about how much "heart" and "resiliency" the team has showed needs their head examined. The 96 team after the Travis Roy injury showed heart. BU 2012 is all about self inflicted problems. Better coaching + better senior leadership + better captain should have avoided these incidents. Who the hell posts a video like that on YouTube? Small wonder what happened next. I find it hard to believe all these incidents happened in isolation. BU frankly deserved their fate this year, which is getting smoked in 3 tournaments (Beanpot, HE, NCAA). I've been disappointed by the team many times. I've never been this disgusted.

Regarding Parker, its past time for some tough love here. He was a great coach, and tried to do the right thing by the program. However, in most professions for most people, its really hard to do as good a job when you're 66 as when you were 36 or 46. Yes there are exceptions (York comes to mind) but if you look at sports coaches, doctors, lawyers, business, etc most people are slowing down or retired at that age. Parker isn't senile, nor has he forgotten about hockey. However he can no longer relate to kids young enough to be his grandchildren, and the way the game is played now is beyond his ability to adjust to.

Parker seems tired but stubborn. I don't get the sense he is planning to depart. What makes these guys succeed (pride, determination) is the same thing that causes them to stay way too long. They just can't turn it off. Much like Bowden and Paterno, he's not leaving until the school takes away his keys to the arena. Ideally BU should annouce this is his last season, do all the appropriate celebrations, and work to get Dave Quinn back to be head coach. Otherwise its going to be the same old s# ! t.
                        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
                          Notes on Saturday's game:

Man was it fun to watch Chiasson go up against Bjugstad. Those are two big, strong, nimble and just plain confident-looking players, and there they were, taking faceoffs against each other.

MN's Kyle Rau (#7) is an amazing player to watch. One of those 5'6" guys who is always making things happen. Almost Gerbe-like, except without the *cough!* sleight-of-hand Nathan is so talented at. North Dakota hit Rau yesterday several times with flat-out cheap hits, but Rau beats you by popping up faster than you'd expect, and by getting right back into the play instead of turning around to pop you back.

It was also great to see Chris Connolly play in person. Great hustle, solid play, every time.
                          Kyle Rau also leads the WCHA in diving/embellishment penalties. Like seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by sfo19 View Post
                            Kyle Rau also leads the WCHA in diving/embellishment penalties. Like seriously.
                            Like, completely wrong in your assessment. You probably think the Whioux are just hard nosed hockey players and not cheap shot hacks.

It was really fun having the BU fans in the building this weekend. Liked your band and cheers and the support you showed your team. Too bad more couldn't have made it out for the games!

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                              BU frankly deserved their fate this year, which is getting smoked in 3 tournaments (Beanpot, HE, NCAA).
                              What Beanpot/HE game were you watching where we got "smoked"?

It was really fun having the BU fans in the building this weekend. Liked your band and cheers and the support you showed your team. Too bad more couldn't have made it out for the games!
                              There was going to be a fan bus full of students, but unfortunately the price tag was exorbitantly high. The beat writer for our paper asked a Gopher writer why there was no organized student section for them at the games, and he claimed it was because the distance was too far for them and that there was a lot of construction between Minneapolis and St. Paul. A whopping 10 miles is too far? Do they not have cars in Minnesota?
                              Last edited by brassbonanza; 03-26-2012, 11:36 AM.
                              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Ummmm the Maine game, where we showed up for like 10 minutes? They also got outplayed by BC. However i suspect you're one of these fans who wants to raise a banner for these losses.
                                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Working...
                                X