Hurried math, so this might be less than perfect, but

Frozen Fours 1998-2012

10 -- BC
    7 -- North Dakota
    6 -- Maine, Michigan
    4 -- Minnesota, UNH
    3 -- Mich St
    2 -- Denver, UMD, Wisc, NotreDame, Miami
    1 -- Ohio St, St Lawrence, Cornell, CC, RIT, Bemidji, Vermont, Ferris, Union, BU
    I think that eliminates BU as being considered a "premier program" in the last 15 years (thats a long time btw).
    Last edited by Jofa; 03-27-2012 at 05:04 PM.

The Retired 108 Guy

Re: Boston University 2011-2012: Part The Sixth

So at the beginning of next year the team will have no players that have:

Won an NCAA tournament game
    Won a Beanpot
    Won a Hockey East Trophy
    PLAYED in a Hockey East Final

There's a reality check as far as being a "premier program" goes.
    Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by defkit View Post
    Random reactions:
    - Minnesota will make life challenging for BC. I think BC will win, but I don't see this as a cake walk for them. The Gophers are playing very good hockey. I thought BC was a lock last year, and they lost in the first round. JD is right.
    - Given how long Bavis has been the #2, I think Parker pushes for him to get the job when he goes. While I would much prefer Quinn, I would still prefer the change, even if it meant Bavis getting the gig.
    - My reason for wanting Quinn is not for recruiting, it's for Coaching and all that happens once a player arrives on Comm. Ave. I trust Quinn to delegate the recruiting. Let's be real here - if you start having consistent success as a program, the recruiting tends to be a much easier process. Lately, we've relied on "Lifetime BUers" like Warsofsky and Coyle.
    - Assuming the reports are accurate, good luck Alex, and congrats on making the pros. As a second rounder, he'l get his shot at the big club before long, just to see how he responds.
    How do we know who was recruited by Quinn and who was recruited by Bavis?
    Like now, how do we know who was recruited by Bavis and who was recruited by Buddy Powers?

I know that Powers has been credited with bringing in goalie Maguire. Does that mean that Bavis recruited O'Connor, or was that also Powers?

The recruiting classes the next two years, as listed on recruiting websites, both look very good. On paper! So we'll have to wait and see.
    With Chiasson gone, and Nicastro highly unlikely to ever return even if exonerated, another forward and defenseman may be needed. So does that mean that two from 2013 will be accelerated a year, or will Pertti Hassanen find an overseas player or two?

As for future head coaches, Bavis' cause may have been hurt by the off-ice stuff (even if he had no control over any of it). I see that people keep mentioning David Quinn, which is logical. But Mike Sullivan will be a strong candidate, too, if he wants to be when the time comes.

Where's Your Asian?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
    Like now, how do we know who was recruited by Bavis and who was recruited by Buddy Powers?

I know that Powers has been credited with bringing in goalie Maguire. Does that mean that Bavis recruited O'Connor, or was that also Powers?

The recruiting classes the next two years, as listed on recruiting websites, both look very good. On paper! So we'll have to wait and see.
    With Chiasson gone, and Nicastro highly unlikely to ever return even if exonerated, another forward and defenseman may be needed. So does that mean that two from 2013 will be accelerated a year, or will Pertti Hassanen find an overseas player or two?

As for future head coaches, Bavis' cause may have been hurt by the off-ice stuff (even if he had no control over any of it). I see that people keep mentioning David Quinn, which is logical. But Mike Sullivan will be a strong candidate, too, if he wants to be when the time comes.
    Anyone else also consider that Joe Sacco's contract with the Avalanche is up after this season and the team is not currently sitting in a playoff position. My guess is he is let go and then Quinn will be brought in as the HC for the Avalanche. Just a hunch.
    Dog Lover: Terriers and Bulldogs
    Boston University '06/'08
    Yale University '13

On the current coaching staff, both Bavis and Powers play active roles recruiting. However, it's not like each coach has a quota, or there has to be a 1-1 match (re: your example of recruiting both incoming goalies for next season).

For as long as I can recall at BU (20+ years), I believe the Associate Head Coach (Blaise, Durocher, Quinn, Bavis) has technically been the "lead" recruiter -- in essence, coordinating/facilitating recruiting efforts based on direction from above.

The social ramble ain't restful

With regard to your statement on Sullivan, is it your opinion, or is it based upon knowledge from someone inside the hockey program or from someone with access to a person inside the program?
    if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

I actually have 3.486 more posts

http://www.thebostonhockeyblog.com/2...hree-year.html

Some really nice comments here from Chiasson. Sounds like a great kid with a good head on his shoulders. Didn't know he's apparently very close to finishing his degree and is committed to coming back and finishing it over the summer. Three years, while being a D1 athlete, that's impressive. These quotes should be read to every potential recruit, as well as the hacks on here who think Parker doesn't care about his players. Best of luck to him in Dallas, hopefully he's got a bright future ahead.
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

Quote Originally Posted by buoldtimer View Post
    With regard to your statement on Sullivan, is it your opinion, or is it based upon knowledge from someone inside the hockey program or from someone with access to a person inside the program?
    I knew from sources that Sullivan would have been the prime candidate a couple of years ago. I assume that he still would be very viable, if interested.

My top three choices would be:
    1a: Quinn
    1b: Sullivan
    2: Hynes

Not much to go by other than I think al three of these guys can really coach (though as oldtimer will be quick to point out, Sullivan has never done any type of collegiate coaching). Quinn and Sullivan bring instant credibility that I frankly think would improve the recruiting. I don't know Hynes well, but he has obviously impressed some people as he has moved up the coaching ranks.
    BU Hockey: Up to the Task?

Quote Originally Posted by brassbonanza View Post
    http://www.thebostonhockeyblog.com/2...hree-year.html

These quotes should be read to every potential recruit, as well as the hacks on here who think Parker doesn't care about his players. Best of luck to him in Dallas, hopefully he's got a bright future ahead.
    I for one, don't think he doesn't care about his players. My concern is that I don't think he can relate to them anymore (he basically said do himself on that interview last year).
    BU Hockey: Up to the Task?

I actually have 3.486 more posts

I for one, don't think he doesn't care about his players. My concern is that I don't think he can relate to them anymore (he basically said do himself on that interview last year).
    I think there's some legitimacy to this argument, though I'd change relate to understand what buttons to push to motivate them to succeed for BU.
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Stories View Post
    Anyone else also consider that Joe Sacco's contract with the Avalanche is up after this season and the team is not currently sitting in a playoff position. My guess is he is let go and then Quinn will be brought in as the HC for the Avalanche. Just a hunch.
    How enamored with Quinn is the Avalanche organization? He has not exactly lit the world on fire with Lake Erie. (Although I know there are many factors that go into the success of a team).

I don't think he can relate to them anymore (he basically said do himself on that interview last year).
    Maybe... on the other hand though, this does not sound like someone not relating to his players:

"I thought that he needed to be the first guy that I wanted to share my thoughts with and that’s what I did. I think he deserved to know first what my decision was going to be and I wanted to see what he thought and what could be the best for me and he was really supportive. I can’t say enough about him how I grew as a player and as a person and I learned so much about myself."

I knew from sources that Sullivan would have been the prime candidate a couple of years ago. I assume that he still would be very viable, if interested.
    What is Sullivan doing now?
    Last edited by ericredaxe; 03-27-2012 at 06:53 PM.

there's a good buck in that racket.

i don't care if they sit on his knee while he tells bedtime stories... or if they run to him and tell him about their first bj on campus.

he is the grocery buyer and chef of the kitchen.. and he has cooked one yummiieee meal in 15 years.
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Finish Line (Athletic Shoe Stores) is distributing in its stores "The Great College Road Trip," a Sports Illustrated Special presentation on College Sports rivalriesand traditions. It is set up geographically and the must ticket in the Northeast is BU-BC Hockey. This is a free magazine and my guess is they will have stacks of them. Trying to lure the college fans to the store I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    i don't care if they sit on his knee while he tells bedtime stories... or if they run to him and tell him about their first bj on campus.

he is the grocery buyer and chef of the kitchen.. and he has cooked one yummiieee meal in 15 years.
    maybe the problem is you. i have thoroughly enjoyed the cooking
    “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by shrader
    Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
    Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
    National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

there's a good buck in that racket.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    maybe the problem is you. i have thoroughly enjoyed the cooking
    so i should find a new restaurant?
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A

Do you guys know how much BU gives the kids in MN a look? I see Maine swiped a few for the next couple of seasons. Connolly was a MN kid.

The social ramble ain't restful

Quote Originally Posted by brassbonanza View Post
    Chiasson officially signed.
    He joins former Terrier Dan Spang, never was gonna be a Terrier no-way, no-how Angelo Esposito and former Bruin duffle bag Andrew Raycroft as the T-Stars play out the string.
    if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Holding court

Quote Originally Posted by DaveStPaul View Post
    Hurried math, so this might be less than perfect, but

Frozen Fours 1998-2012

10 -- BC
    7 -- North Dakota
    6 -- Maine, Michigan
    4 -- Minnesota, UNH
    3 -- Mich St
    2 -- Denver, UMD, Wisc, NotreDame, Miami
    1 -- Ohio St, St Lawrence, Cornell, CC, RIT, Bemidji, Vermont, Ferris, Union, BU
    You forgot the asterisk next to Maine... I'm just sayin.

It's funny to see some of these teams' winning percentages in this group/timeframe; some rarely get there and make it count and others get there a lot and have mixed results. Just from this set of years... Denver 2 for 2. BU 1 for 1. Wisconsin 1 for 2. Minnesota 2 for 3. On the flip side you have North Dakota 1 for 7. Michigan and Maine* both 1 for 6. UNH 0 for 4 (snicker). At one point BC was 0 for 3 and 1 for 7 before getting up to 3 for 9. Historically some of these programs have crazy win %s in the FF (Denver and Wisconsin I believe closely mirror what is above).
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ericredaxe View Post
    How enamored with Quinn is the Avalanche organization? He has not exactly lit the world on fire with Lake Erie. (Although I know there are many factors that go into the success of a team).

Maybe... on the other hand though, this does not sound like someone not relating to his players:

"I thought that he needed to be the first guy that I wanted to share my thoughts with and that’s what I did. I think he deserved to know first what my decision was going to be and I wanted to see what he thought and what could be the best for me and he was really supportive. I can’t say enough about him how I grew as a player and as a person and I learned so much about myself."

What is Sullivan doing now?

Quinn has done very well in Lake Erie. Dont confuse records with success. They are a true B team, players ebing yanked up and down daily, told who to play and so on.

Sullivan is ast with NY Rangers

Thread Information