X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2011-2012: Part The Sixth

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
    That's not anything to pump our chest about, we're not a participation banner program, but it's not a sign that we mailed it in during the big games we played this season. They mailed it in against Maine in 2010, and again last season in both Beanpot games and during the NU series. While we made some mistakes this season in big games, these guys didn't show up and not care, save for a few select occasions, such as the first half of the UNH game 3. Our problems this year were not a lack of effort by any means.
    I could drive myself nuts thinking about how differently this season could have been but for the fact that #7 and #10 got themselves into off-ice trouble. Nothing would be guaranteed, of course, but I would have liked the Terriers chances.

That said, I really respect what this team accomplished in 2012. It says a lot about the grit of those that we're left. I assume that Connolly deserves a lot of the credit, but he was hardly alone. The played hard and at their best, there wasn't a team I saw that moved the puck as well as they did. In the end, they were drained physically and probably emotionally, too. The character that they showed will serve them well in the future, whether they're on skates or in street shoes. I was proud to cheer for this team.

Comment

Originally posted by goalguard View Post
      I could drive myself nuts thinking about how differently this season could have been but for the fact that #7 and #10 got themselves into off-ice trouble. Nothing would be guaranteed, of course, but I would have liked the Terriers chances.

That said, I really respect what this team accomplished in 2012. It says a lot about the grit of those that we're left. I assume that Connolly deserves a lot of the credit, but he was hardly alone. The played hard and at their best, there wasn't a team I saw that moved the puck as well as they did. In the end, they were drained physically and probably emotionally, too. The character that they showed will serve them well in the future, whether they're on skates or in street shoes. I was proud to cheer for this team.
      Well said. I don't think anyone has asserted that there was ever a lack of effort. I thought they played hard for the most part. If you looked at their faces you can tell they were extremely disappointed...not the look of a team that's mailing it in or doesn't care...

Comment

Or look at it another way... how do you think the last 2 games could have turned out if you took the top 2 centers and perhaps the #3 d-man off of Maine and Minnesota? Obviously nothing is guaranteed, but I would have liked our chances a lot better.

I think a lot of us (myself included) underestimated the impact that losing those players may have had over the long term as the season grinded on... oh well, the results are what they are, and while they were in many ways dissapointing, i think you have to give a lot of credit to the players and coaches for having done as well as they did.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
          I think a lot of us (myself included) underestimated the impact that losing those players may have had over the long term as the season grinded on...
          Grind is exactly the right word. It's a long season and a hard game. Even the great 2009 team looked tired at year's end (4 one-goal games out of their last 5).

Comment

As I told Scarlet on Sunday I was impressed with BU, especially considering what the remaining players overcame during the season. Good luck next year.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
            And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
            Twenty red lights in his honor
            Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

I'm sorry, but what are we crediting Connolly for again? Seems as the captain he might have some responsibility to keep the team in line. Last time I checked, that didn't happen to degree I've never seen in all my years watching this team. They didn't play hard consistanty (again not sure if anybody even watched the Maine game who's saying that) and had little ability to keep each other out of trouble. I'm all for saluting teams overcoming adversity...except when they cause the adversity themselves. As the old saying goes, its like thanking the guy who burned down your house for saving the welcome mat by the front door.
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
                That's quite a stretch to start to pin some of this on Quinn. He hasn't been involved in their lives since Spring 2009. Also from what we know, especially with Trivino, they weren't in trouble when they were younger.

Here's each recruiting class whom Quinn was the primary recruiter for. Durocher was the lead recruiter for the Seniors from the 2009 Championship team (with Gilroy being the exception).

Bennett, Z. Cohen, Gryba, Popko, Strait

Bonino, C. Cohen, Kraus, Pereira, Vic Saponari, Shattenkirk, Wilson

Connolly, Gaudet, K. Gilroy, Glass, Millan, Rollheiser, Ruikka, Vinny Saponari, Trivino, Warsofsky

Chiasson, Courtnall, Escobedo, Megan, Nicastro, Rosen, Santana

Escobedo and Megan were originally 2010 recruits. Escobedo came early b/c of Strait's (unexpected) early departure; Megan came early b/c of Wilson's departure.

Cisse, Clendening, Coyle, Gill, MacGregor, Nieto, Ronan

IIRC Quinn was most involved with recruiting Cisse, Clendening and Nieto, although the latter two didn't commit after Quinn departed. Cisse came a year early b/c of the Saponaris' dismissals.

Hohmann, Privitera, Rodrigues

IIRC Hohmann committed in early 2009 while Quinn was still on the coaching staff. I believe Quinn was also involved w/ recruiting Privitera, but he committed around the same time as Clendening & Nieto.

Looking at the players whom Quinn had a hand in recruiting and their productivity, I think Quinn's "legacy" as a recruiter is bringing in Wilson, Shattenkirk, Cohen, Bonino, and Millan, and the roles they played on the 2009 team. Other than that, it appears his track record is mixed, but IMO it's fair to ask whether things could've been different (re: better) if Quinn was still around to help develop and discipline the players he recruited -- most notably this year's Seniors and Juniors.

Comment

Chiasson officially signed.
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Random reactions:
                    - Minnesota will make life challenging for BC. I think BC will win, but I don't see this as a cake walk for them. The Gophers are playing very good hockey. I thought BC was a lock last year, and they lost in the first round. JD is right.
                    - Given how long Bavis has been the #2, I think Parker pushes for him to get the job when he goes. While I would much prefer Quinn, I would still prefer the change, even if it meant Bavis getting the gig.
                    - My reason for wanting Quinn is not for recruiting, it's for Coaching and all that happens once a player arrives on Comm. Ave. I trust Quinn to delegate the recruiting. Let's be real here - if you start having consistent success as a program, the recruiting tends to be a much easier process. Lately, we've relied on "Lifetime BUers" like Warsofsky and Coyle.
                    - Assuming the reports are accurate, good luck Alex, and congrats on making the pros. As a second rounder, he'l get his shot at the big club before long, just to see how he responds.
                    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Good luck to him. I think he'll have a good NHL career.
                      Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                      Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
                        Hurried math, so this might be less than perfect, but

Frozen Fours 1998-2012

10 -- BC
                        7 -- North Dakota
                        6 -- Maine, Michigan
                        4 -- Minnesota, UNH
                        3 -- Mich St
                        2 -- Denver, UMD, Wisc, NotreDame, Miami
                        1 -- Ohio St, St Lawrence, Cornell, CC, RIT, Bemidji, Vermont, Ferris, Union, BU
                        I think that eliminates BU as being considered a "premier program" in the last 15 years (thats a long time btw).
                        Last edited by Jofa; 03-27-2012, 05:04 PM.

Comment

So at the beginning of next year the team will have no players that have:

Won an NCAA tournament game
                          Won a Beanpot
                          Won a Hockey East Trophy
                          PLAYED in a Hockey East Final

There's a reality check as far as being a "premier program" goes.
                          Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                            Random reactions:
                            - Minnesota will make life challenging for BC. I think BC will win, but I don't see this as a cake walk for them. The Gophers are playing very good hockey. I thought BC was a lock last year, and they lost in the first round. JD is right.
                            - Given how long Bavis has been the #2, I think Parker pushes for him to get the job when he goes. While I would much prefer Quinn, I would still prefer the change, even if it meant Bavis getting the gig.
                            - My reason for wanting Quinn is not for recruiting, it's for Coaching and all that happens once a player arrives on Comm. Ave. I trust Quinn to delegate the recruiting. Let's be real here - if you start having consistent success as a program, the recruiting tends to be a much easier process. Lately, we've relied on "Lifetime BUers" like Warsofsky and Coyle.
                            - Assuming the reports are accurate, good luck Alex, and congrats on making the pros. As a second rounder, he'l get his shot at the big club before long, just to see how he responds.
                            How do we know who was recruited by Quinn and who was recruited by Bavis?
                            Like now, how do we know who was recruited by Bavis and who was recruited by Buddy Powers?

I know that Powers has been credited with bringing in goalie Maguire. Does that mean that Bavis recruited O'Connor, or was that also Powers?

The recruiting classes the next two years, as listed on recruiting websites, both look very good. On paper! So we'll have to wait and see.
                            With Chiasson gone, and Nicastro highly unlikely to ever return even if exonerated, another forward and defenseman may be needed. So does that mean that two from 2013 will be accelerated a year, or will Pertti Hassanen find an overseas player or two?

As for future head coaches, Bavis' cause may have been hurt by the off-ice stuff (even if he had no control over any of it). I see that people keep mentioning David Quinn, which is logical. But Mike Sullivan will be a strong candidate, too, if he wants to be when the time comes.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                              Like now, how do we know who was recruited by Bavis and who was recruited by Buddy Powers?

I know that Powers has been credited with bringing in goalie Maguire. Does that mean that Bavis recruited O'Connor, or was that also Powers?

The recruiting classes the next two years, as listed on recruiting websites, both look very good. On paper! So we'll have to wait and see.
                              With Chiasson gone, and Nicastro highly unlikely to ever return even if exonerated, another forward and defenseman may be needed. So does that mean that two from 2013 will be accelerated a year, or will Pertti Hassanen find an overseas player or two?

As for future head coaches, Bavis' cause may have been hurt by the off-ice stuff (even if he had no control over any of it). I see that people keep mentioning David Quinn, which is logical. But Mike Sullivan will be a strong candidate, too, if he wants to be when the time comes.
                              Anyone else also consider that Joe Sacco's contract with the Avalanche is up after this season and the team is not currently sitting in a playoff position. My guess is he is let go and then Quinn will be brought in as the HC for the Avalanche. Just a hunch.
                              Dog Lover: Terriers and Bulldogs
                              Boston University '06/'08
                              Yale University '13

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post

On the current coaching staff, both Bavis and Powers play active roles recruiting. However, it's not like each coach has a quota, or there has to be a 1-1 match (re: your example of recruiting both incoming goalies for next season).

For as long as I can recall at BU (20+ years), I believe the Associate Head Coach (Blaise, Durocher, Quinn, Bavis) has technically been the "lead" recruiter -- in essence, coordinating/facilitating recruiting efforts based on direction from above.

Comment

Working...
                                X