IT'S ST. NORBERT....Drop the "S" at the end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IT'S ST. NORBERT....Drop the "S" at the end

I don't know how Dan Lukes does it...I'd go insane if a large portion of the Division III hockey following couldn't get my school's name right.

Where did the "S" come from that everyone seems to like to associate with the school. Is there a reason for it?

Now before anyone goes to the other thread I just posted in, I jokingly added the "S" as a tounge in cheek to go along with Herb Brooks Soviet quote from Miracle.

How upset would Norwich alums get if we were referred to as Norwich College or Norwick University? (and as aside...I rarely say 'wick' on this forum and I have NEVER and NEVER will ever refer to it that way in any sort of public press release/story.)

I guess the kicker for me was when one of the local media stations called them "St. Norbert's" all weekend. It's one thing to do it on a forum, it's another to get it wrong in the media/reporting business. I have the same issue with Norwich women's sports teams being referred to as the Lady Cadets. All 20 of our sports teams are the Cadets. Plain and simple. There are no "Lady Cadets". I referred to the Amherst women as the Lady Jeffs once and was rightfully corrected by their SID that there are no Lady Jeffs at Amherst. They are the Lord Jeffs. I have never made the mistake again.

As small as it seems on the outside...it's becoming an issue I feel when the school's name has been mis-pronounced for so long that it has made its way into the media as being the "norm" for how the school is referred to.

St. Norbert is the dynasty of Division III men's hockey right now. Three titles in five years is impressive. Let's drop the "S" and start respecting the school and start calling it by its rightful name.... "St. Norbert".
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Re: IT'S ST. NORBERT....Drop the "S" at the end

I too have a pet peave with red-neck "S"s - I cringe when I hear someone say "I got to go to Walmarts" (K-Marts, whatever). Unless it is to show possession if there is no S then don't add it!!
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

I assume it's how Oswego alumni feel to hear the college called "Oswego State University", along with the "OSU" chants during games.

Comment

In a lot of Wisconsin, it is common to refer to a church using an apostrophe s at the end. For instance, St Paul Church would commonly be referred to as St Paul’s Church. It is not a redneck thing and many highly educated people will refer to churches that way. I can see people that are used to referring churches that way to refer to the college that way as well.

To solve this problem, I suggest relaxing. Who cares about a silly extra letter? People posting on this board are not writing professionally each time they post.
        I'm Kent...Detlefsen?

I was there for 27/92.

Comment

Originally posted by LakerFan99 View Post
          I assume it's how Oswego alumni feel to hear the college called "Oswego State University", along with the "OSU" chants during games.
          Well, they were OSC on the 1980 rink scoreboard.
          Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by BetterInLakePlacid View Post
            In a lot of Wisconsin, it is common to refer to a church using an apostrophe s at the end. For instance, St Paul Church would commonly be referred to as St Paul’s Church. It is not a redneck thing and many highly educated people will refer to churches that way. I can see people that are used to referring churches that way to refer to the college that way as well.

To solve this problem, I suggest relaxing. Who cares about a silly extra letter? People posting on this board are not writing professionally each time they post.
            Unless it is plural or it is to show possession - i.e. it CAN be "St Paul’s Church", it is RED NECK!!! It is St Norbert's National Championship, it is NOT St Norberts College. I also recognize that "People posting on this board are not writing professionally each time they post", I'm often trying to multitask while posting, but repeated, blatant errors and omissions, IMO, get annoying.
            Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

In the east, however, you not only have Saint Anselm College, but you also have Saint Michael's College which contributtes to the confusion.
              Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                I too have a pet peave with red-neck "S"s - I cringe when I hear someone say "I got to go to Walmarts" (K-Marts, whatever). Unless it is to show possession if there is no S then don't add it!!
                My first job out of school was at Grumman Aerospace on Long Island. You'll be amazed how many locals there called it Grummans. Drove us crazy.

On a happier note, I was watching the Rangers-Devils game last night on NBC Sports, and Mike Emmrick (sp?) gave a shout out to St. Norbert for winning the Division III national championship!
                Russell Jaslow
                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Point taken. I guess it just seemed like there were so many of them out on the ice...
                  Last edited by ColdInRomney; 03-20-2012, 11:35 AM.
                  Oswego State 1980 Grad
                  (attended in one way or another from 1968-1988, don't ask..... )

Comment

Originally posted by LakerFan99 View Post
                    along with the "OSU" chants during games.
                    I just figured that was for Boots' benefit....
                    Oswego State 1980 Grad
                    (attended in one way or another from 1968-1988, don't ask..... )

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                      Unless it is plural or it is to show possession - i.e. it CAN be "St Paul’s Church", it is RED NECK!!! It is St Norbert's National Championship, it is NOT St Norberts College. I also recognize that "People posting on this board are not writing professionally each time they post", I'm often trying to multitask while posting, but repeated, blatant errors and omissions, IMO, get annoying.
                      You're not alone. This has bothered me too, since the days when I couldn't travel to the Frozen Four, and watched on what was then CS TV. The announcers would ALWAYS say St. Norberts, and mispronounce Coghlins name every way imaginable. Stuff like that irritates the hell out of me when the person doing it is of the profession to know better. Anytime you're going to announce for anything, you are supposed to go over names to try and do your best. It shows a lack of respect, and a poor performance as a broadcaster/reporter.

Comment

Wow...the season really is over

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                          I don't know how Dan Lukes does it...I'd go insane if a large portion of the Division III hockey following couldn't get my school's name right.

Where did the "S" come from that everyone seems to like to associate with the school. Is there a reason for it?

Now before anyone goes to the other thread I just posted in, I jokingly added the "S" as a tounge in cheek to go along with Herb Brooks Soviet quote from Miracle.

How upset would Norwich alums get if we were referred to as Norwich College or Norwick University? (and as aside...I rarely say 'wick' on this forum and I have NEVER and NEVER will ever refer to it that way in any sort of public press release/story.)

I guess the kicker for me was when one of the local media stations called them "St. Norbert's" all weekend. It's one thing to do it on a forum, it's another to get it wrong in the media/reporting business. I have the same issue with Norwich women's sports teams being referred to as the Lady Cadets. All 20 of our sports teams are the Cadets. Plain and simple. There are no "Lady Cadets". I referred to the Amherst women as the Lady Jeffs once and was rightfully corrected by their SID that there are no Lady Jeffs at Amherst. They are the Lord Jeffs. I have never made the mistake again.

As small as it seems on the outside...it's becoming an issue I feel when the school's name has been mis-pronounced for so long that it has made its way into the media as being the "norm" for how the school is referred to.

St. Norbert is the dynasty of Division III men's hockey right now. Three titles in five years is impressive. Let's drop the "S" and start respecting the school and start calling it by its rightful name.... "St. Norbert".
                          ++1
                          SNC: 2008, 2011, 2012 and 2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

I can't complain. I think I've said Oswego every way imaginable ... and unimaginable for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                              Two things - 1) I refered to Norwich as Norwick to make a point - I do not like "Wick" being used in place of "Cadets" (though "Rooks" would be ok for freshman).

2) Back when I was a student at SUNY Cobleskill, I attended some games down I-88 in Oneonta, NY where some fans justifiably chanted "Let's Go Wick" - it was here.
                              Last edited by norm1909; 03-20-2012, 09:18 PM.
                              Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Working...
                              X