Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Niagara drops women's hockey!!

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
    The 2013-14 class already full ???. That does not bode well for many in next years HS senior class, that have yet to land a spot, including the two Niagara recruits now looking for a place to land
    Not full, but pretty full...at many of the top programs. I've had a number of coaches tell me they already have three or four commits for next year and are looking for two forwards, or a forward and a D. The landscape has changed since the advent of the U18 World Championships, and many players are being recruited and committing earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
      I doubt either one would matriculate. Unfortunately, most programs have completed their recruiting for the coming season, and are pretty full on 2013-14 recruiting class. I wouldn't be surprised to see those players doing a PG year with their current team if they don't land somewhere in the next two weeks.
      If the first year is fully covered (presuming a full scholarship was offered) and Niagara is willing to provide a transfer when requested , another option for the two girls might be to continue with their plans to enter year 1 at Niagara, while playing in the PW for a close team to Niagaga. Stoney Creek, Burlington and Oakville are all within 1 hour's drive, depending on the border time. They might be able to use that extra time to land a spot at another D1 school while still maintaining their 4 years of eligibility.

Just a thought given that a PG year for some people is not that appealing.
      ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
        If the first year is fully covered (presuming a full scholarship was offered) and Niagara is willing to provide a transfer when requested , another option for the two girls might be to continue with their plans to enter year 1 at Niagara, while playing in the PW for a close team to Niagaga. Stoney Creek, Burlington and Oakville are all within 1 hour's drive, depending on the border time. They might be able to use that extra time to land a spot at another D1 school while still maintaining their 4 years of eligibility.

Just a thought given that a PG year for some people is not that appealing.
        That's not a bad idea. The only downsides are:

1. The eligibility clock starts when you start college. A player has 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility from the day she starts college which leaves no room for redshirting; and

2. If a player wants to graduate in 4 years then they will only play hockey for 3 years (assuming she does not go to grad school).

Hopefully they can catch on with someone. Fortunately for the older girls, transfers typically have a later application deadline at most schools but for the freshmen, and I don't know how it works, it seems that every year there are a couple of players that get accepted to colleges after the application deadline has passed.
        Last edited by SlewFoot; 03-21-2012, 02:18 PM.

Comment

What happens to the to e

What happens to the two recruits for 2012/2013? Will their scholarships be honoured if they choose to stay?
          I believe that would depend on if they signed an NLI... My guess is they didn't, but were going to in April. So then no, it would not be honoured.

Comment

Both recruits have signed NLI's in hand.

Comment

Please take a look at the link below...If you care about women's hockey and the program, thanks.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop...MK1hivg4&gl=US

Comment

Any word from coach Sciba yet?
                Four days later and parents still haven't heard a word from coaches or Athletic department. I get it that student athletes are adults but it might have shown a touch of class to reach out to parents ... but then again was nothing classy about how they went about with announcing the decision or the timing of it.

Comment

Originally posted by SlewFoot View Post
                  That's not a bad idea. The only downsides are:

1. The eligibility clock starts when you start college. A player has 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility from the day she starts college which leaves no room for redshirting; and.
                  That 5 year clock starts ticking irregardless of what they do next year, as it start from the moment you graduate from highschool, not when you start hockey. There is also the countback as to when you started grade nine.

In other words the time clock ship has sailed already.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                    Not full, but pretty full...at many of the top programs. I've had a number of coaches tell me they already have three or four commits for next year and are looking for two forwards, or a forward and a D. The landscape has changed since the advent of the U18 World Championships, and many players are being recruited and committing earlier.
                    So what kind of numbers are we talking about 40 of the 150-200 or higher ?. I find it hard to believe that there would be more than 20-30 or so verbal commits at this stage more than 8 months prior to NLI and 4 months prior to July 1st.

Comment

That 5 year clock starts ticking irregardless of what they do next year, as it start from the moment you graduate from highschool, not when you start hockey. There is also the countback as to when you started grade nine.

In other words the time clock ship has sailed already.
                      Sorry but I don't agree. There are always stories of 30-year old football players playing in college. Unless the rule has changed here is what I found.

14.2.1 Five-Year Rule - A student-athlete shall complete his or her seasons of participation within five calendar years from the beginning of the semester or quarter in which the student-athlete first registered for a minimum full-time program of studies in a collegiate institution, with time spent in the armed services, on official church missions or with recognized foreign aid services of the U.S. government being excepted. For foreign students, service in the armed forces or on an official church mission of the student's home country is considered equivalent to such service in the United States.

14.2.3.5 Participation after 21st Birthday - Any participation as an individual or a team representative in organized sports competition by a student during each 12-month period after the student's 21st birthday and prior to initial full-time enrollment in a collegiate institution shall count as one year of varsity competition in that sport. Participation in organized competition during time spent in the U.S. armed services shall be excepted.

To summarize the Five-Year rule, enrolling at college or university full time begins your five-year eligibility clock. For a player aiming at the NCAA, full-time enrolment could make them less attractive to schools/coaches recruiting future talent - by thus having less years to work with the player. For the most part, players that want to continue schooling while playing out their junior will attend as part-time students. This allows them to keep the edge on their studies while also being able to balance the rigors of playing junior hockey all the while keeping their NCAA eligibility intact."
                      Last edited by SlewFoot; 03-22-2012, 12:41 PM.

Comment

When a program gets dropped like this, for the players who decide to transfer and play elsewhere, do they still have to set out a year like other transfers, or can they play right away since their program was dropped? I was thinking when a program is dropped that the players can transfer and play right away, but I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                          When a program gets dropped like this, for the players who decide to transfer and play elsewhere, do they still have to set out a year like other transfers, or can they play right away since their program was dropped? I was thinking when a program is dropped that the players can transfer and play right away, but I could be wrong.
                          You're right.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                            You are right, however, there is a condition. I copied this from the NCAA transfer guide.

If your sport is discontinued or not
                            sponsored at your four-year school …

If your school dropped your sport from its
                            program or never sponsored it while you were a
                            student, you may be able to use this exception to
                            transfer to a Division I or II school.

You may only use this exception after the date
                            that the school publicly announced that it would
                            discontinue the sport. For example, if your school
                            announces during the fall semester that it will
                            discontinue baseball at the end of the academic
                            year, you can use this exception only if you
                            transfer after the announcement. You may not
                            use it if you transfer before then.

Considering Niagra contracted the sport immediately I think that girls can transfer without sitting out any girl that transfers can use this exception provided that they didn't transfer last fall.
                            Last edited by SlewFoot; 03-22-2012, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SlewFoot View Post
                              Sorry but I don't agree. There are always stories of 30-year old football players playing in college. Unless the rule has changed here is what I found.

14.2.1 Five-Year Rule - A student-athlete shall complete his or her seasons of participation within five calendar years from the beginning of the semester or quarter in which the student-athlete first registered for a minimum full-time program of studies in a collegiate institution, with time spent in the armed services, on official church missions or with recognized foreign aid services of the U.S. government being excepted. For foreign students, service in the armed forces or on an official church mission of the student's home country is considered equivalent to such service in the United States.

14.2.3.5 Participation after 21st Birthday - Any participation as an individual or a team representative in organized sports competition by a student during each 12-month period after the student's 21st birthday and prior to initial full-time enrollment in a collegiate institution shall count as one year of varsity competition in that sport. Participation in organized competition during time spent in the U.S. armed services shall be excepted.

To summarize the Five-Year rule, enrolling at college or university full time begins your five-year eligibility clock. For a player aiming at the NCAA, full-time enrolment could make them less attractive to schools/coaches recruiting future talent - by thus having less years to work with the player. For the most part, players that want to continue schooling while playing out their junior will attend as part-time students. This allows them to keep the edge on their studies while also being able to balance the rigors of playing junior hockey all the while keeping their NCAA eligibility intact."
                              You better be carefull as there are some additional rules if you do post grad studies before entering college (see below). Most of the exemptions are gearee towards those with Military Service requirements. There are also special rules for Men's hockey.

14.2.2 Additional Applications of the Five-Year Rule.
                              14.2.2.1 Athletics Competition. Even though a student is enrolled for less than a minimum full-time program
                              of studies at a collegiate institution, the student’s five-year period of eligibility begins if the individual
                              represents the institution in intercollegiate athletics.
                              14.2.2.2 Nonrecognized College. Enrollment in a postsecondary, noncollegiate institution (e.g., technical
                              school, seminary or business college) in the United States that is not accredited at the college level by an agency
                              or association recognized by the Secretary of the Department of Education and legally authorized to offer at least
                              a one-year program of study creditable toward a degree, constitutes enrollment in the application of the five-year
                              rule only if: (Revised: 1/10/90, 8/8/02)
                              (a) The student is enrolled in a minimum full-time program of studies at such an institution that conducts
                              an intercollegiate athletics program; or
                              (b) The student, whether enrolled for a minimum full-time program of studies or not, represents the institution
                              in intercollegiate athletics.
                              14.2.2.3 Joint College/High School Program. A student-athlete’s eligibility under the five-year rule does
                              not begin while a student is enrolled in a collegiate institution in a joint high school/college academic program
                              for high school students in which the courses count as both high school graduation credit and college credit,
                              provided the student has not officially graduated from high school and does not participate in intercollegiate
                              athletics while enrolled in the joint program. (Revised: 11/1/01 effective 8/1/02)

Comment

You better be carefull as there are some additional rules if you do post grad studies before entering college (see below). Most of the exemptions are gearee towards those with Military Service requirements. There are also special rules for Men's hockey.

14.2.2 Additional Applications of the Five-Year Rule.
                                14.2.2.1 Athletics Competition. Even though a student is enrolled for less than a minimum full-time program
                                of studies at a collegiate institution, the student’s five-year period of eligibility begins if the individual
                                represents the institution in intercollegiate athletics.
                                14.2.2.2 Nonrecognized College. Enrollment in a postsecondary, noncollegiate institution (e.g., technical
                                school, seminary or business college) in the United States that is not accredited at the college level by an agency
                                or association recognized by the Secretary of the Department of Education and legally authorized to offer at least
                                a one-year program of study creditable toward a degree, constitutes enrollment in the application of the five-year
                                rule only if: (Revised: 1/10/90, 8/8/02)
                                (a) The student is enrolled in a minimum full-time program of studies at such an institution that conducts
                                an intercollegiate athletics program; or
                                (b) The student, whether enrolled for a minimum full-time program of studies or not, represents the institution
                                in intercollegiate athletics.
                                14.2.2.3 Joint College/High School Program. A student-athlete’s eligibility under the five-year rule does
                                not begin while a student is enrolled in a collegiate institution in a joint high school/college academic program
                                for high school students in which the courses count as both high school graduation credit and college credit,
                                provided the student has not officially graduated from high school and does not participate in intercollegiate
                                athletics while enrolled in the joint program. (Revised: 11/1/01 effective 8/1/02)
                                Yes I agree that there are some additional rules that may apply but the rules you list are pretty obscure and in no way can support your original assertion that the 5 year rule starts "irregardless of what they do next year, as it start the moment you graduate highschool". The general rule is that the 5-year rule starts once you are a full-time student in college with some obscure exceptions.

Comment

Working...
                                X