Niagara drops women's hockey!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Niagara drops women's hockey!!

Well sure, it's about the money, but it's also about the benefit side of the equation too.

Yes, women's hockey is one of the most expensive sports. It's not just the travel costs, it's all equipment, etc. I forget where the NCAA has disclosed this info but you can see spending by sport. It's not cheap.

So if you're going to invest in a sport, you need some benefits to justify that kind of expense. (and Title IX isn't going to help much since there are cheaper ways of achieving compliance) You need the program to have some chance of bringing glory to the school. Can you blame Niagara for wanting to get out? They weren't able to match Mercyhurst's success, and this team has never had any chance of making NCAAs for the last decade, and fewer schools have a real chance of winning an NCAA championship. Sure, the CHA will finally get up to six teams in the future, but who can be confident about the long-term future of the league? Might Penn State someday jump for a Big 10 Hockey Conference? Who knows.

It's clear to me that the NCAA was really misguided in not supporting the CHA. The women's hockey committee within the NCAA certainly wanted to give the CHA an autobid waiver, but the larger body refused. It really stifled the growth of the sport. Imagine if the CHA had a waiver early on, and Findlay had never dropped the sport, and it was viable for OSU to join the CHA (note:not blaming OSU for backing out). Maybe then these schools could've had something more prestigious than a CHA championship to aim for, and kept investing the sport. It's a shame, and it was really awful for the NCAA not to support the sport by granting an autobid waiver.

Comment

This Amy Moritz article from the Buffalo News has a bit more information. The comment is also insightful:
      http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/co...icle771429.ece

Amy covered that Women's Frozen Four in 2002. Back then Margot Page was so thrilled with how the program had progressed so rapidly and how so many didn't really give her a chance to succeed. It's sad to see things end like this.

Comment

Wait, do Niagara fans really see the move to AHA as a "downgrade" for the men's program? The AHA /saved/ their men's program; they sure wouldn't have lasted long as an independent, and no one else offered them a spot.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
          It's clear to me that the NCAA was really misguided in not supporting the CHA. The women's hockey committee within the NCAA certainly wanted to give the CHA an autobid waiver, but the larger body refused. It really stifled the growth of the sport. Imagine if the CHA had a waiver early on, and Findlay had never dropped the sport, and it was viable for OSU to join the CHA (note:not blaming OSU for backing out). Maybe then these schools could've had something more prestigious than a CHA championship to aim for, and kept investing the sport. It's a shame, and it was really awful for the NCAA not to support the sport by granting an autobid waiver.
          It is possible that your point is true, but it would require more support to be accepted as a given. If the schools that have folded had the overriding goal of reaching the NCAA tournament, then they could have followed the Mercyhurst model for doing so. An auto bid isn't going to help any individual program that is unwilling to fund its team to a level necessary to compete. The auto bid obviously wasn't a huge issue in the Findlay decision, because they dropped the sport at a point where an auto bid was on the horizon for the conference. Wayne State dropped a men's program that competed in a conference that already had an auto bid, and once the men's team was gone, the women's program had to be on thin ice as well. Niagara had to believe that obtaining an auto bid was a question of when, not if, for the CHA, but that wasn't enough. Had they wanted to chase that carrot, the auto bid would probably have arrived before they had a team strong enough to earn it.

The auto bid could be a factor. However, it is not clear cut enough that one can conclude that these programs would have survived if the conference had been granted a waiver.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
            Wait, do Niagara fans really see the move to AHA as a "downgrade" for the men's program? The AHA /saved/ their men's program; they sure wouldn't have lasted long as an independent, and no one else offered them a spot.

Powers &8^]
            I don't think there is any question that AHA is considered a significant downgrade when you consider where Niagara was playing. Yes, no one offered them a spot, and you can debate whether or not they would have survived as an independent. Had their former conference not folded and they had left of their own choice, you couldn't help it but consider it a significant step backwards.
            Skate every shift like its your last

Comment

Many of you, like me, remember the 2002 FF in Durham, NH. Probably the single most outstanding performance of that tournament was that of the Niagra goaltender . . . Tania Pinelli (I believe she was also in the Kaz running that season). Niagra lost to UMD in the semi, but the only reason Niagra was in the game at all was because of how Pinelli stood on her head. Hard to believe that a program that was in the Frozen Four is no more.

Comment

Originally posted by WestsideTigersFan View Post
                I don't think there is any question that AHA is considered a significant downgrade when you consider where Niagara was playing. Yes, no one offered them a spot, and you can debate whether or not they would have survived as an independent. Had their former conference not folded and they had left of their own choice, you couldn't help it but consider it a significant step backwards.
                I disagree; in 2010, the CHA champion was a lower seed in the national tournament than the AHA champion. It really wasn't that much of a step down, especially not when you consider going from a weakening 4-team league to a strengthening 12-team league.

Powers &8^]
                Last edited by LtPowers; 03-20-2012, 10:31 AM. Reason: wrong year

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  It is possible that your point is true, but it would require more support to be accepted as a given. If the schools that have folded had the overriding goal of reaching the NCAA tournament, then they could have followed the Mercyhurst model for doing so. An auto bid isn't going to help any individual program that is unwilling to fund its team to a level necessary to compete. The auto bid obviously wasn't a huge issue in the Findlay decision, because they dropped the sport at a point where an auto bid was on the horizon for the conference. Wayne State dropped a men's program that competed in a conference that already had an auto bid, and once the men's team was gone, the women's program had to be on thin ice as well. Niagara had to believe that obtaining an auto bid was a question of when, not if, for the CHA, but that wasn't enough. Had they wanted to chase that carrot, the auto bid would probably have arrived before they had a team strong enough to earn it.

The auto bid could be a factor. However, it is not clear cut enough that one can conclude that these programs would have survived if the conference had been granted a waiver.
                  Dunno about Findlay, but IIRC, the demise of Wayne State's Hockey programs was for a large part driven by reduced funding coming in from the State. At first glance, it appears the Niagara decision was driven more from an internal "manage resources with the funds we have" kind of trigger, and the decision appears to have been to support more athletes ~35 vs ~20 with the same amount of funding, but choosing cheaper sports on a per athlete basis. Not suggesting it is right or wrong, but as a former track athlete myself, know full well the ins and outs of that sport, so this is a mixed emotions decision from my point of view.

The reality is the Budget crunch decisions are NEVER pleasant, whether it be in sports or Business. These are the HARD lesssons in life. They always suk when you are directly affected, specially if you did not see them coming. I've seen my share of layoffs at the places I've worked over the years.

Wishing all the players on the current roster the best of luck. Whatever they do, my advice to them is to not make any rash short term decisions. Life is too short. Taking some extra time now to make the right move (or non move) will pay dividends down the road.

Comment

This is quite sad news.

Comment

I disagree; in 2010, the CHA champion was a lower seed in the national tournament than the AHA champion. It really wasn't that much of a step down, especially not when you consider going from a weakening 4-team league to a strengthening 12-team league.

Powers &8^]
                      You are going to base your argument on the seeding of the 2010 NCAA tournament? The conference crumbled around them, parts had already left and the whole thing was on life support by 2010. If you looked outside of that one year, its a step backwards. You went from a league that was greatly respected in its prime to a league that was the worst one in college hockey then, and still is today. Has it improved yes. But the fact that even today, after all the growth and improvement it is still the weakest in college hockey tells you exactly how terrible it was then. Look at AHA's record outside the conference. It is easily the weakest league in DI hockey. BY A LONG WAYS.
                      Skate every shift like its your last

Comment

Powers &8^]
                        When you go from a full scholarship league to a reduced scholarship league, then yes, most people will consider that a downgrade.

Not only that, but the CHA had 2 teams in the tournament that year. Curious that you would pick a tournament where the CHA had the tournament champ and an at-large team in the field. UAH may not have been higher ranked than RIT that year, but Bemidji certainly was much better.
                        Last edited by RMUColonials; 03-20-2012, 11:08 AM.
                        HT: Bucs FC - IV.46

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                          Dunno about Findlay, but IIRC, the demise of Wayne State's Hockey programs was for a large part driven by reduced funding coming in from the State. At first glance, it appears the Niagara decision was driven more from an internal "manage resources with the funds we have" kind of trigger, and the decision appears to have been to support more athletes ~35 vs ~20 with the same amount of funding, but choosing cheaper sports on a per athlete basis. Not suggesting it is right or wrong, but as a former track athlete myself, know full well the ins and outs of that sport, so this is a mixed emotions decision from my point of view.
                          I disagree about the WSU situation, granted the state funds may have gone down BUT they have been dumping money into the football program like crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                            I disagree about the WSU situation, granted the state funds may have gone down BUT they have been dumping money into the football program like crazy.
                            Sad news about Niagara. Can't say I didn't see this coming as I mentioned last May in the WS thread that more would follow. Sad indeed. Also, further to above point on allocated funds, I heard a while back that WS moved funds into new sports(previously not offered) at the school after dropping the women's hockey program at the last minute. Cruel, yes, but money rules. Hockey is just too expensive unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by WestsideTigersFan View Post
                              The conference crumbled around them, parts had already left and the whole thing was on life support by 2010.
                              That's kinda my point, man. Niagara had already been "downgraded" before they ever joined Atlantic Hockey. It's not AHA's fault the CHA crumbled, but it did, and by the time the move took place -- which was in 2010 -- Niagara was making a lateral move at worst.

Powers &8^]

Comment

What's a joke is the track isn't even a full year sport at this point -- what true track athlete improves doing only spring/summer meets. Niagara is no better the Wayne State in their actions

Comment

Working...
                                X