Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Niagara drops women's hockey!!

Originally posted by sbkbghockey View Post
    Even if they couldn't allocate any of those donations toward athletics/hockey, the fact that they're getting donations and met their goals is encouraging. They should have done what other men's and women's programs have done: they should have considered reaching out to alumni, students and their families, boosters, local community, etc... and let people know that women's hockey was on a threshold then given it another season or two to see if they could reach a donation amount to secure the women's hockey program.
    The fact that they didn't do that -- that they just announced the program was dead and seem to be ignoring any attempts to save it -- indicates there is something more at work here. Is there friction between the program/coach and the administration, major donor to the school or something? This reeks of something political more than just a want of money. If it was about money, they'd be open to raising the funds because that would mean more money coming in the door. It sure seems like there's more here than meets the eye.

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      The fact that they didn't do that -- that they just announced the program was dead and seem to be ignoring any attempts to save it -- indicates there is something more at work here. Is there friction between the program/coach and the administration, major donor to the school or something? This reeks of something political more than just a want of money. If it was about money, they'd be open to raising the funds because that would mean more money coming in the door. It sure seems like there's more here than meets the eye.
      That's what is so puzzling to all of us. The only reason they have given any of us was financial. There are "other reasons" if which we can't figure out. With a rink on campus and a solid men's program it doesn't seem logical to give up without a fight! And given the comments from this in the community there's support out there. We are going to continue to get the word out and reach out to the media. You're right Priceless there's something more to this!

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        Is there friction between the program/coach and the administration, major donor to the school or something? This reeks of something political more than just a want of money. If it was about money, they'd be open to raising the funds because that would mean more money coming in the door. It sure seems like there's more here than meets the eye.
        Considering the coach was only in place on an interim basis for a season after the previous coach left late in the offseason, I doubt it is anything he did. More likely is that somebody looked at the books, said this program loses money, is likely to continue losing money for the foreseeable future no matter what we do, and that person would rather spend the money elsewhere. If the one in power could care less about women's hockey, which unfortunately is a category that applies to most people, it seems fairly painless to say, "let's axe it." I'd say it is political only to the extent that there are always many projects looking for funding, and if a program like women's hockey lacks powerful allies, then it is vulnerable. Thus, no effort was made to save it, not because saving it was impossible, just not high on the priority list of some decision maker.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
          Considering the coach was only in place on an interim basis for a season after the previous coach left late in the offseason, I doubt it is anything he did. More likely is that somebody looked at the books, said this program loses money, is likely to continue losing money for the foreseeable future no matter what we do, and that person would rather spend the money elsewhere. If the one in power could care less about women's hockey, which unfortunately is a category that applies to most people, it seems fairly painless to say, "let's axe it." I'd say it is political only to the extent that there are always many projects looking for funding, and if a program like women's hockey lacks powerful allies, then it is vulnerable. Thus, no effort was made to save it, not because saving it was impossible, just not high on the priority list of some decision maker.
          You're right ARM, but they didn't really look beyond the room on this one. Its my understanding they are adding 4 full time coaches for Track and Field and Women's Lacrosse which I see to be overkill. I don't know of Many women's college lacrosse teams carrying 4 full time coaches!

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleEagle4ever View Post
            You're right ARM, but they didn't really look beyond the room on this one. Its my understanding they are adding 4 full time coaches for Track and Field and Women's Lacrosse which I see to be overkill. I don't know of Many women's college lacrosse teams carrying 4 full time coaches!
            It was probably political in that sense. It doesn't take enemies to derail a program, just a lack of advocates when budget decisions are made. I'd imagine with a sport like hockey, there may be a lot of variance in how expenses for something link the arena, staff, and equipment show up on the program's books. If the accounting is slanted against hockey, it can look like an athletic department would save more money that will actually be the case in real dollars.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              Considering the coach was only in place on an interim basis for a season after the previous coach left late in the offseason,
              For the record, the coach did not "leave" although that was how it was worded in the press release. His real reason for "leaving" is quite sad and paints a very negative picture of the Athletics Department as a whole. The women's program was not endorsed by the AD and he played a large role in McKenzies's departure and the subsequent dropping of the program. In my opinion, if you want to look for a person to point a finger at, it is the AD.
              ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                That's incredibly shortsighted for someone with so much authority. Even if women's ice hockey isn't high on their priority list, it is obviously high on other people's lists. Some of those people have the financial resources required to boost the program. Track and Field aren't exactly going to fill the coffers at the University either, plus there are significant startup costs. It seems that it would have been worthwhile to say they were going to have to drop hockey in favor of T+F if they can't raise X amount to save the program. If they can raise the money required, then you have a revenue neutral sport. If they are unable to raise the money, then go ahead with plans to go with T+F. Unless there is a financial backer for these T+F and lax teams we don't know about, they're going to lose money too. Maybe less money than hockey, but if the WIH program had donations, then you're going to lose MORE money. It doesn't make sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cali View Post
                  For the record, the coach did not "leave" although that was how it was worded in the press release. His real reason for "leaving" is quite sad and paints a very negative picture of the Athletics Department as a whole. The women's program was not endorsed by the AD and he played a large role in McKenzies's departure and the subsequent dropping of the program. In my opinion, if you want to look for a person to point a finger at, it is the AD.
                  The University isn't making any allies with their Hockey Alum I can tell you that much! I had faith in every head coach the program had and Josh did an excellent job with the program this year!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cali View Post
                    The University isn't making any allies with their Hockey Alum I can tell you that much! I had faith in every head coach the program had and Josh did an excellent job with the program this year!

Comment

4 Kaleigh Chippy F So - MU
                      17 Erin Burns D Jr - UConn
                      19 Kristen Richards F So - RMU
                      31 Sarah Moses G So - UConn

Comment

1 Paige Sasser G So - unknown
                        2 Delaney Middlebrook D Fr - unknown
                        5 Kelsey Gunn D Fr - RMU
                        8 Amy Helfrich F Fr - unknown
                        9 Kelsey Welch F Jr - MU
                        10 Kayla Raniwsky F Fr - SLU
                        11 Natasha Fryer F Jr - unknown
                        12 Jenna Hendrikx F Jr - MU
                        14 May Wilkerson F So - unknown
                        15 Kathleen Bortuzzo F Jr - unknown
                        17 Erin Burns D Jr - UConn
                        18 Katie Dods F So - unknown
                        19 Kristin Richards F So RMU
                        20 Daniela Dal Colle F Jr - unknown
                        21 Jessica Hitchcock F So - UNH
                        22 Kalli Funk F Fr - unknown
                        25 Chelsea Witwicke D So - unknown
                        31 Sarah Moses G So - UConn
                        35 Abby Ryplanski G Fr - Bemidji

Comment

Do you have any info on the last Niagara goalie who hasn't transferred yet (Paige Sasser)? Did she play at all last year? From what stats I saw she didn't see any ice time at all.
                          Click to visit the official team page for Penn State women's hockey: http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-...ckey-body.html

Comment

Originally posted by PennStateWomensHockey View Post
                            Do you have any info on the last Niagara goalie who hasn't transferred yet (Paige Sasser)? Did she play at all last year? From what stats I saw she didn't see any ice time at all.
                            it's not uncommon for 3rd string goaltenders not to see any game action

Comment

News coverage of the WIH gathering last night
                              http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/166...Womens-Hockey-

Comment

1 Paige Sasser G So - unknown
                                2 Delaney Middlebrook D Fr - RPI
                                5 Kelsey Gunn D Fr - RMU
                                8 Amy Helfrich F Fr - unknown
                                9 Kelsey Welch F Jr - MU
                                10 Kayla Raniwsky F Fr - SLU
                                11 Natasha Fryer F Jr - unknown
                                12 Jenna Hendrikx F Jr - MU
                                14 May Wilkerson F So - unknown