18 Katie Dods F So - unknown
    19 Kristin Richards F So RMU?
    20 Daniela Dal Colle F Jr - unknown
    21 Jessica Hitchcock F So - UNH
    22 Kalli Funk F Fr - unknown
    25 Chelsea Witwicke D So - unknown
    31 Sarah Moses G So - unknown
    35 Abby Ryplanski G Fr - Bemidji
    Last edited by PurpleEagles; 04-10-2012, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• Re: Niagara drops women's hockey!!

Now this is priceless ... the equipment and jerseys that was immediately taken from the player's lockers after the AD's announcement? Niagara is now trying to sell it back to the players. Can't even let them have their game jerseys for a keepsake. Really classy. The school and AD keep looking better and better. Lol!

Comment

• Originally posted by NPEfan View Post
        Now this is priceless ... the equipment and jerseys that was immediately taken from the player's lockers after the AD's announcement? Niagara is now trying to sell it back to the players. Can't even let them have their game jerseys for a keepsake. Really classy. The school and AD keep looking better and better. Lol!
        I really wish there were enough of us to make a statement of some sort. It's embarrassing that they continue to conducts themselves this way and get away with it. Do they plan on auctioning off the NCAA trophy and banners?

Comment

The whole situation with dropping the program is sad and sickens me....but you can't be surprised by this. The University purchased the equipment at a significant expense. Would it have been a nice gesture to give the equipment out to the players? Sure it would have been...but Universities are a business and not a charity and you can't be surprised that they would try to recoup some of their losses. To them...in the big picture getting some of that money back is more important than worrying about ticking off a few hockey fans.

Sad but true unfortunately.

Comment

Letting student-athletes keep their equipment (that universities purchase) may fall under "special benefits" and therefore illegal. I know it happens everywhere and all the time, but when the AD can get $100 per kid for a pair of gloves and helmet? Might as well if $ is that important to them.

Comment

Originally posted by 123kidd View Post
              Letting student-athletes keep their equipment (that universities purchase) may fall under "special benefits" and therefore illegal.
              This is true. There are definitely rules governing what the players may receive free of charge. I know in the past when players have chosen not to buy one of their game jerseys, the jersey has been donated to the booster club for auction. Of course it is possible that Niagara has chosen to go beyond any NCAA limitation.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Remember Niagara "contracted" the program effective that day of the announcement, therefore I would think the NCAA rules do not apply. There is no team to apply the rules to. It has just been a really raw deal for all the players and coaches since that day.
                ______// o \\______

Comment

Originally posted by joxs View Post
                  Remember Niagara "contracted" the program effective that day of the announcement, therefore I would think the NCAA rules do not apply. There is no team to apply the rules to. It has just been a really raw deal for all the players and coaches since that day.
                  They are still considered student athletes for the remainder of this school year as they have received benefits afforded athletes such as travel, meals, per-diem, etc, nevermind those who are still receving athletic scholarship for this term and potentially beyond if some decide to stay.

Comment

Originally posted by joxs View Post
                    Niagara still has an athletic department, so yes, I'd think that the rules still apply. Were they to break rules, sanctions might get tricky, given the NCAA could not impose penalties such as limiting scholarships or place the program under probation. Thus, I'd assume the institution as a whole would be sanctioned.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Any more news of players transferring? There was a rumour of a Sr going to RIT but I wasn't aware of any SRs that had red-shirted.
                      ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

How much money has to raised? If the administration won't say, then find out from other sources. Ask other schools how much they spend. Terry Pagula or another rich Sugar Daddy might need a tax writeoff, so maybe they'll donate the funds. Or alumni and boosters from the school can. But if these players have already been accepted at new schools, does that mean that even if the program is saved these students will be gone?

I just learned about all this from Angela Ruggerio sending out a message online and have been getting a crash course in what has happened. This seems like a pretty low-rent move by the administration at Niagara which will have ramifications beyond the small campus in upstate New York. Someone earlier in the thread described it as a "drip...drip...drip..." and that's exactly what it is. People better pay attention because the same thing has been happening on the Men's side and with the realignment it just might continue. Both Men's and Women's hockey needs to be nurtured to increase support and growth of our sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                          This seems like a pretty low-rent move by the administration at Niagara which will have ramifications beyond the small campus in upstate New York.
                          Low-rent indeed. Bush league. Especially with a nice on-campus arena.

Powers &8^]

Comment

This was released a few days ago by Niagara University ...

"To the Niagara University Students:

It is with great pleasure and sincere gratitude that I write to inform you that we have fulfilled – and exceeded – the promise that we made to our students and community in 2007!

A $2 million pledge that Niagara University recently received from the John R. Oishei Foundation allows us to surpass the ambitious $80 million goal that was set when we launched “The Promise of Niagara…The next 150 years.” Together, we are completing the single largest fundraising initiative in the 156-year history of the institution. For this, I offer you my personal thanks.

This has been an exciting and transformative period for Niagara University. By exceeding the $80 million mark, we have accomplished our goal of transforming Monteagle Ridge, both physically and programmatically. This work will significantly enhance the Catholic and Vincentian, values-based education that generations of students will receive at Niagara University.

While we are continuing to encourage gifts to this endeavor, we will soon begin planning events to celebrate the successful conclusion of this record-breaking capital campaign. Since your support has allowed us to advance Niagara’s tradition of excellence, I truly hope that you will be able to join us.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Joseph L. Levesque, C.M.
                            President "

Got their $80 million but couldn't put any towards athletics, in this case women's hockey. I know, I know, none of donations was probably intended to go to athletics in first place.

Couldn't help thinking that it is a good thing they got thier donations before they folded WIH program the way they did, or some would of had second thoughts I'm sure. Gotta love the line " we are continuing to encourage gifts"

Comment

• Originally posted by NPEfan View Post
                              This was released a few days ago by Niagara University ...

"To the Niagara University Students:

It is with great pleasure and sincere gratitude that I write to inform you that we have fulfilled – and exceeded – the promise that we made to our students and community in 2007!

A $2 million pledge that Niagara University recently received from the John R. Oishei Foundation allows us to surpass the ambitious $80 million goal that was set when we launched “The Promise of Niagara…The next 150 years.” Together, we are completing the single largest fundraising initiative in the 156-year history of the institution. For this, I offer you my personal thanks.

This has been an exciting and transformative period for Niagara University. By exceeding the $80 million mark, we have accomplished our goal of transforming Monteagle Ridge, both physically and programmatically. This work will significantly enhance the Catholic and Vincentian, values-based education that generations of students will receive at Niagara University.

While we are continuing to encourage gifts to this endeavor, we will soon begin planning events to celebrate the successful conclusion of this record-breaking capital campaign. Since your support has allowed us to advance Niagara’s tradition of excellence, I truly hope that you will be able to join us.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Joseph L. Levesque, C.M.
                              President "

Got their $80 million but couldn't put any towards athletics, in this case women's hockey. I know, I know, none of donations was probably intended to go to athletics in first place.

Couldn't help thinking that it is a good thing they got thier donations before they folded WIH program the way they did, or some would of had second thoughts I'm sure. Gotta love the line " we are continuing to encourage gifts"
                              It's great the University is bringing in money for academics but makes me wonder couldn't they have moved money around to accommodate all? More students the better especially since they indicated admissions have fallen a bit...

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleEagle4ever View Post
                                It's great the University is bringing in money for academics but makes me wonder couldn't they have moved money around to accommodate all? More students the better especially since they indicated admissions have fallen a bit...
                                Even if they couldn't allocate any of those donations toward athletics/hockey, the fact that they're getting donations and met their goals is encouraging. They should have done what other men's and women's programs have done: they should have considered reaching out to alumni, students and their families, boosters, local community, etc... and let people know that women's hockey was on a threshold then given it another season or two to see if they could reach a donation amount to secure the women's hockey program.

Comment

Working...
                                X