Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: College Hockey's Playoff Problem.

Originally posted by Caustic Undertow View Post
    10,000 Minnesota fans vs. 15-20k split fans, yes, that would reduce capacity--but you're forgetting that you are turning one 19,000 seat location into 2 10k + locations that are as close (Minnie) or much closer (NoDak) to their fan bases. I'm pretty sure both would sell out, and be much louder than your standard regular season game. So you have 22,000 home fans there. The X cannot physically match that--and this is a best-case home regional we're talking about.
    Oh, we are running on the assumpion that the regional is 1 ticket for both games?
    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Caustic Undertow View Post
      Top 8 seeds host the first round games in their building. I now believe the best option is for it to be a one-game round, with the games spread over the weekend. You'd get two games (staggered starts) on Friday, four on Saturday, two on Sunday, or some other combination. Games can be moved slightly to avoid arena conflicts.

The second round takes place the next weekend at the home sites of the top 4 remaining seeds. This replaces the bye week before the Frozen Four; makes travel tricky, but I think it's worth the sacrifice. The winners obviously advance.

Simple. Home arenas, guaranteed attendance. Home games are earned by having higher seeds. The atmosphere of each game is incredible. Ticket sales are still going to be as good or better than the current system.

It would work. It would be easy to implement. It would be outstanding, and it would be fair. And what it lacks in multi-game-series drama, it gains in anything-can-happen thrills.

All I know is that I've been to four "home" NCAA tournament games at Yost. Michigan was the lower seed in three of them, so it was grossly unfair. But they were the most fun I've ever had at a hockey game by a wide margin. And it simply can't happen properly in the current system.
      The higher seed hosts is great in theory, but for schools that have multi-tenant facilities or use non-school facilities reserving the arena for two weekends for games that are not likely is going to run into issues with regards to the costs of reserving 58 arenas for 2 weeks so that 8 can be used one week and 4 the next.

Moving the F4 later in the year is also going to be a non-starter since the f4 already nearly at the last week of the NHL regular season and none of the NHL arenas would be available until after the home team has been eliminated from the playoffs.
      Last edited by Almington; 03-19-2012, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
        The higher seed hosts is great in theory, but for schools that have multi-tenant facilities or use non-school facilities reserving the arena for two weekends for games that are not likely to not occur is not a great option considering the costs that would be involved.
        This is not a problem in the first round of the conference tournament; teams make their buildings available or find a building that is available. This is not a problem in any other NCAA sport that has an on-site first round to the tournament decided on selection day (baseball, softball, tennis, soccer, volleyball, lacrosse, field hockey, etc.). If a team can't host, then they will play the first round on the road. If they don't want to play on the road, then they need to put in a bid to host and finish in the top 8.

This isn't complicated; every team sport except hockey and basketball plays the first round(s) at campus sites selected when the teams are selected. Basketball has neutral sites because they can do it and still sell the buildings out. Hockey has neutral sites because the committee made a big mistake 20 years ago and they aren't willing to fix it.

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

I tend to agree with Caustic Undertow...

Home sites for the first and second round would be ideal. I would also extend it to playing best of 3 series. The higher seeds would then host the second round (keeping it in the same brackets, although not necessary) the following weekend, skip the off week before the Frozen Four, and play that Friday/Sunday.

For Example: (West Regional)
          Friday/Saturday/Sunday - March 23-25
          Western Michigan @ North Dakota - (guaranteed to sell 22-36k tickets) North Dakota wins series
          Boston University @ Minnesota - (guaranteed to sell 20-30k tickets) Minnesota wins series

Friday/Saturday/Sunday - March 30-April 1
          Minnesota @ North Dakota - (guaranteed to sell 24-36k tickets)

You've just sold around 66-102k tickets...that would probably be more than this entire weekend sells.

Obviously there are roadblocks preventing this, and it is unlikely to happen, but I do agree that this would bring in the most $$$, is probably the fairest way to reward play from the Regular Season (including Conference Tournaments), and is the most exciting for the fans and players.
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Alton View Post
            This is not a problem in the first round of the conference tournament; teams make their buildings available or find a building that is available. This is not a problem in any other NCAA sport that has an on-site first round to the tournament decided on selection day (baseball, softball, tennis, soccer, volleyball, lacrosse, field hockey, etc.). If a team can't host, then they will play the first round on the road. If they don't want to play on the road, then they need to put in a bid to host and finish in the top 8.This isn't complicated; every team sport except hockey and basketball plays the first round(s) at campus sites selected when the teams are selected. Basketball has neutral sites because they can do it and still sell the buildings out. Hockey has neutral sites because the committee made a big mistake 20 years ago and they aren't willing to fix it.
            Basketball does NOT sell out the neutral sites in the first round. It's just the TV money. Even some 2nd round games are empty. An all inclusive tournament would be interesting with the regular season just for seeding purposes.

Comment

An idea I've kicked around is placing each team in the regional they are closest too in order of seed. It would completely do away with bracket integrity (other than the luck of the draw) but all 1 seeds would play a 4 and all 2 seeds would still play one of the three seeds. A strict 1-16, 2-15 etc is mattering less and less, as any fan of Minnesota, Michigan or Notre Dame can attest to.

In this scenario I would not have a rule to prohibit first round conference re-matches. Don't see much difference between one in a first round or second round game anyway. The sport is small enough and insular enough that I don't care about that. You still would likely have to account for host teams because bracketing this way would not have Minnesota in St Paul this season.

It seems to me if you want to get more people to go the regionals you have to do two things. Make them as easy as possible to get to, and charge reasonable prices for tickets.

I imagine this isn't a set up that appeals to most people. I get the sense that most would either leave it pretty much as it is, and the rest would like to see a return to campus sites before the FF.

Does anyone have attendance numbers handy from the last few 6 team regionals? People seem to think those were better attended since 6 sets of fans came to one venue instead of 4. In 2012 and going forward I don't think this would matter. One thing I am seeing more and more is people have less interest in watching someone elses game. Even if they paid for it. That's something I've noticed at every conference or NCAA tourney game I've been to since 2004. It is much less the case at the 2 FFs I attended, but the Joe and Van Andel have generally not had fans in the building for the games their teams were not involved in. I don't think regionals with 8 teams would have an atmosphere any better than the 4 team ones.

Comment

I think the biggest changes that could be made is changing the bye week from next weekend to this weekend. The Frozen Four is a sellout or near sellout every year. The location and dates are known well in advance and people plan their travel and everything months ahead of time. The regionals struggle because no one knows for sure when and where they are playing until Sunday just 5 days before the first games occur. If you moved the bye week to this coming weekend and didn't have the regionals until March 30-April 1, you'd have much better attendance.

Another suggestion, go back to a super-regional type event where there are only 2 sites for regionals, one in the east and one in the west. Have 2 games each day at the venues over the course of 3 days.
                Super Regional 1 in Bridgeport:
                Friday: "East" Semifinals
                Saturday: "Northeast" Semifinals
                Sunday: both "East" and "Northeast" Finals

Super Regional 2 in Minneapolis:
                Friday: "West" Semifinals
                Saturday: "Midwest" Semifinals
                Sunday: both "West" and "Midwest" Finals
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

`2
                  Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                  Does anyone have attendance numbers handy from the last few 6 team regionals? People seem to think those were better attended since 6 sets of fans came to one venue instead of 4.
                  USCHO does. Just look at the box scores from teams' schedule & results archive. Here's an example from 99.
                  http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...new-hampshire/

That may be misleading, because UNH is very close to Worcester. Which is a stroke of luck for attendance.

Here's a box from 2000, with Michigan and Maine playing to a crowd of 9k in Albany. Albany is much further from Maine than Worcester is from UNH. Michigan defeated Colgate in front of a nearly equal crowd the day before . . . so it wasn't just a bunch of Mainers making a 6-7 hour drive for day 2.
                  http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...igan-vs-maine/

Not trying to pick on Michigan, Caustic. USCHO only gives you a couple years to choose from. Michigan's fault for making the FF both before and after that window, but not during.
                  Last edited by amherstblackbear; 03-19-2012, 03:26 PM.
                  1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                    `2

USCHO does. Just look at the box scores from teams' schedule & results archive. Here's an example from 99.
                    http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...new-hampshire/
                    Thanks. Never even considered that but it's a pretty good resource.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post

Another suggestion, go back to a super-regional type event where there are only 2 sites for regionals, one in the east and one in the west. Have 2 games each day at the venues over the course of 3 days.
                      Super Regional 1 in Bridgeport:
                      Friday: "East" Semifinals
                      Saturday: "Northeast" Semifinals
                      Sunday: both "East" and "Northeast" Finals

Super Regional 2 in Minneapolis:
                      Friday: "West" Semifinals
                      Saturday: "Midwest" Semifinals
                      Sunday: both "West" and "Midwest" Finals
                      that's a great idea. I'm not a fan of the campus sites to tell the truth as the home advantage is not to my liking. I understand the logic, just not my cup of tea. But the super regional would be great. Never made sense to me why some games were in two eastern cites 100 miles from each other any way.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                        that's a great idea. I'm not a fan of the campus sites to tell the truth as the home advantage is not to my liking. I understand the logic, just not my cup of tea. But the super regional would be great. Never made sense to me why some games were in two eastern cites 100 miles from each other any way.
                        Agree that this is the best way to go. Attendance at least for the regional championships would be much better. As far as TV, on Sunday you could do the east games at 12 & 3 and the west at 6 & 9. ESPN only needs to send 2 crews instead of 4 and the NCAA is only renting 2 buildings. Makes too much sense so probably will never happen.

Comment

This 8-team regional thing just doesn't make any sense at all to me. The problem is not that there are too many regional sites--just the opposite! The problem is that people don't travel to regionals, and never really have. Back when there were two regionals, the total attendance would be less than 32,000--4 sessions of 8,000 each. Now at least the total attendance approaches 48,000 (8 sessions of 6,000 each).

Here is what it boils down to: people don't fly to regionals, and they don't go to regionals unless their team is playing. The people in the stands at the regionals are fans of one of the participating teams, and they got to the host town by automobile.

You are not going to add to attendance by asking people to buy tickets to 6 games when their team will only play in one or two, and you are not going to add to attendance by adding a day to the weekend and asking people to spend one more night in a hotel (and find something to keep themselves entertained when their team isn't playing). We are different on this board, so don't tell me you fly to regionals and don't tell me you want a 16-team tournament at one site that lasts all week. You are not typical, and the way that I know you are not typical is because you read and post on this message board.

The lacrosse format (8 first round games at home sites followed by quarterfinal doubleheaders the next week at 2 neutral sites, followed by a final four) makes the most sense for their sport, and I don't see why it wouldn't make more sense for our sport than the rather embarrassing "events" that we call regionals.

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

Comment

Originally posted by Alton View Post
                            The lacrosse format (8 first round games at home sites followed by quarterfinal doubleheaders the next week at 2 neutral sites, followed by a final four) makes the most sense for their sport, and I don't see why it wouldn't make more sense for our sport than the rather embarrassing "events" that we call regionals.
                            The Lacrosse format actually seems pretty good to me, that way all the neutral site games can be played on a saturday or sunday to easier travel.
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              The Lacrosse format actually seems pretty good to me, that way all the neutral site games can be played on a saturday or sunday to easier travel.
                              I agree lacrosse format allows for maximum attendance at half the cost with only one team traveling

Comment

Here is what the tournament would look like this year using the hockey selection & seeding rules but the lacrosse tournament format and rules for pairing teams:

FIRST ROUND: Friday, Saturday or Sunday, March 23, 24 or 25
                                Cornell at #1 Boston College
                                Air Force at #2 Michigan
                                Massachusetts-Lowell at #3 Union
                                Michigan State at #4 North Dakota
                                Denver at #5 Miami
                                Maine at #6 Ferris State
                                Western Michigan at #7 Minnesota-Duluth
                                Boston University at #8 Minnesota

EAST QUARTERFINALS: Saturday, March 31, at Manchester, NH
                                #1 Boston College/Cornell winner v #8 Minnesota/Boston University winner
                                #3 Union/Massachusetts-Lowell winner v #6 Ferris State/Maine winner

WEST QUARTERFINALS: Sunday, April 1, at Milwaukee, WI
                                #2 Michigan/Air Force winner v #7 Minnesota-Duluth/Western Michigan winner
                                #4 North Dakota/Michigan State winner v #5 Miami/Denver winner

Comment

Working...
                                X