This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXXIII

Tough to see the Pios knocked out early again. PP finished 1-25 down the stretch. Zucker in his last game in college was not anywhere near 100%. Had numerous chances that he usually buries. Credit to FSU they played a very disciplined game and deserved the win. Thank you seniors for your work and good luck going forward. It will be interesting to see what Drew does. Hope to see some of you in Tampa.
    Go Pioneers!

Comment

First off, props to Ferris for both a well-played and particularly well-coached game. Their D gave the Pio's very little operating room in the "scorer's box" (mid-to-low slot) all game long. The DU power play was almost amusing in the first 2 periods, with the perimeter umbrella of five controlling the puck but never generating anything of consequence. Ferris played within themselves, played smarter, took away room for Denver's talent to operate and create, and earned the game. In a year where the WCHA and CCHA took a bad pill to start the tourney, my teams left to follow are WMU, then Ferris and Sioux. (Always will be the Sioux, take that NCAA PC Police).

Having watched 3 of the teams that I follow with varying degrees of interest--DU, Miami-OH, and Michigan--all drop tight first rounders yesterday, I had an observation that I wonder if any others picked up on. Each at times played with a certain degree of disinterest, or at least, lack of focus and resolve. Denver really didn't press hard as a team until the 3rd period, even though there were some good individual efforts. (Most notably Zucker, props to playing hard while hurt.) Miami absolutely dozed through 2 periods before deciding to show up, then should have won the game but found a way to lose another heartbreaker. Inconsistency kills--in their case, so did finding a way NOT to score on that late major penalty! Michigan scored immediately, went into a coasting zone, and coasted right into the post-season. In each case...the team with the more noted recruits, the greater by far number of draft picks, and the team with one or more underclassmen that have brought on the "will he or won't he bolt" questions all year...found a way to lose early to a team that had few or no picks and notable players, but played hard and focused and earned a win. One wonders how many players on those more noteworthy teams were dreaming of sugarplum contracts dancing in their heads rather than playing a focused, team game? It's got to be hard at some level to focus on an amateur game when you know that the final L of the season means a big payday, whether at the forefront or subconsciously. I love the college game, but do wonder if those coaches who willingly accept losing one after another premier recruit to the pros after a year or two--George, Red, Blasi among others--have created a monster that will forever make team play in the post-season a challenge. I realize there are and were other factors--DU's team health was clearly a trainwreck going into this tourney, and I honestly think this Denver D corps was mediocre even fully healthy compared to some a few years back--but it's quite noteworthy to see these 3 programs filled with NHL draft picks all exiting to, in all candor, less talented (but greater resolve) teams in Round One. Thoughts????

Comment

Originally posted by MichPieGuy View Post
        Thoughts????
        I do think that, as an example, one of the things that helped DU a lot down the stretch in '04 was a core of seniors who had played together for four years helped pick up a team that had played extremely inconsistently all year. I think that the players leaving early thing is making it hard for teams, but then again, perhaps some of those players leaving early would have played major junior instead of going to college fifteen years ago. Certainly, if we could look forward to Drew Shore and Jason Zucker returning next season, in addition to some pretty nice recruits coming, that would be a pretty bright future. And who knows, maybe they will return, but like all things, the game is changing. In some ways, this "problem" is actually good for the game. Big-name teams can fight over guys who give an instant injection, play for two or three years and leave, while other teams can develop cohesion among less talented guys who play together for four years. As much as I would have liked to see DU in the Frozen Four, I think the fact that either Cornell or Ferris State is there is good for the game, good for every team and every fan. It is certainly in no one's best interest for there to be only 8 or 10 teams with a legitimate shot at national success.

This is why I hope that the WCHA (or someone) takes on Hunstville. It's why I hope that in fact, neither the Big 6 nor the NCHC (or Hockey East for that matter) is able to dominate the sport. I hope that some of the other Big 11 schools add hockey so that conference can grow. I think that more conferences is good for the sport, because it allows the sport to grow, as long as it doesn't try to grow beyond it's scope.

I know, I know, college hockey is a niche sport, and it will never be like basketball or even football. Good. I wouldn't want that. But a larger number of viable teams is just a good thing.
        Last edited by duper; 03-24-2012, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Observations/Coincidences
          Zac Larraza scored his first collegiate goal to get DU into the Final 5 championship game.
          Ferris' Denis scored his first collegiate goal to get the Bulldogs into the Regional Final.

DU went up 3-0 against UMD, allowed them to tie the game and finally won in OT. 4-3
          Lowell went up 3-0 against Miami, allowed them to tie the game and finally won in OT. 4-3

DU, Michigan and Michigan State all had disallowed goals yesterday.
          DU and Michigan lost by 1 goal.
          GO DU !!!

Comment

Good year guys. Really wish you would have made it to Tampa. Based on how we did in Denver...we're not far behind you.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

DU wasted no time in winning their first conference title in the WAC. Congratulations to the Gymnastics team, who will go the the national tournament in 2 weeks.

Comment

Ughhh!!! Still so bummed about the game. Had Jason Z been healthy we would have won, period!! We haven't been this banged up since 1986!! Now Maine is out and I'm losing interest, until today's game between Minny and ND that is!!! Speaking of losing interest, how about all the empty seats in these regionals?? What the hell? And the people that are in attendance are staring at their cell phones. Just look at the difference with the BBall. Geeezzz! Does anyone out there have any good news??
                "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                Tom Serratore

Comment

Well well well. Another poor showing for the PIOS in the tourney. Injuries yes. Ya had nothing left either way. It was an easy call in the Bracket. Bye Bye. Not sure it's much better that Wisco lost to you. One and done again. Enjoy the golf. I sure am.

Comment

DU is 4-1 against the Frozen Four field this year. 4-0 if we hadn't lost to Ferris.

Comment

Originally posted by Cross-Czech View Post
                      DU is 4-1 against the Frozen Four field this year. 4-0 if we hadn't lost to Ferris.
                      Trouble is, that one loss is the only single loss all season that matters. Interesting, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Cross-Czech View Post
                        UND is 26-0-3 this year if you don't count the games they lost.
                        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                          UND is 26-0-3 this year if you don't count the games they lost.
                          Sometimes your sageness and profundity go beyond description. (Maybe a little short of that level this time.)

Comment

In response to my earlier post about empty seats, I was encouraged to see a full house in St. Paul. Of course it helps if the home team is playing their dreaded rival. However, last night's game with BC and Duluth looked empty. WTH?
                            "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                            Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                              In response to my earlier post about empty seats, I was encouraged to see a full house in St. Paul. Of course it helps if the home team is playing their dreaded rival. However, last night's game with BC and Duluth looked empty. WTH?
                              Haven't you been listening to FS23? They aren't rivals anymore.
                              Originally posted by vizoroo
                              Thought you had picked the avatar so we could id you. Guess he fooled me too.
                              Originally posted by duper
                              I obviously missed it, but it sounds like some idiot from CC took trolling to a whole new, totally inappropriate level.

I was well over the borderline. I figured I would meet you on your turf.
                              Every time you post like an *******, I want to quote the idiotic comment you made where you claim not to be a troll. You're such a dick.
                              Originally posted by dggoddard
                              Finally you made me laugh.

There may be hope for you yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                                Comments from the scoring thread:
                                "Wooster" is a dump.
                                BC doesn't travel well. (40 miles)
                                Ticket prices
                                8:00 pm start time
                                Spring break?
                                GO DU !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X