X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

last thread http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...w”-York-Puns

Today is 4 March 2018. There are 216 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 6 October 2018 for the start of next season.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

And that smiley isn't for what you think it is
    Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I suspect that a topic for conversation this off-season will certainly be the makeup of next season’s team. Let me initiate the discussion. I will post separately about goalies, defensemen and forwards.

The first post is about goalies. This is the simplest, but there are still questions. All three goalies, Perry, St.Denis, and Marshall, are eligible to return and we have one goalie recruit, Owen Savory. OS is a 97, so he must come in the fall. I don’t think that we will keep four goalies, so someone must be leaving. I think that Chase Perry will turn pro. He cannot transfer since he has already done that once.

Comments?
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

We have six defensemen eligible to return, Moore, Grant, Samec, Manley, Reilly, and Harris. We have four defensemen who are listed to come in the fall, Modry, Babichuk, Ferner, and Hallbauer. Note that Shane Bear who I had listed as a 2018 recruit is not eligible at that time since he played for UMA in the fall.

I suspect that Modry has decommited or was told by the staff that we are no longer interested. He still could come in 2019. Ferner and Hallbauer are 97's and have aged out of juniors. Babichuk could return to juniors, but I expect that he won’t. We could go with 9 defensemen as we have had that many before or one of the existing defnders could be leaving. I heard a rumor in that regard and can’t mention it. Of course we still could have other defensemen whom we don’t know about yet to muddy the situation more. BTW, the three new d-men as well as Bear are all shorter that 6-foot tall which may indicate a direction which Coach Smith is going.

Comments?
            Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-07-2018, 07:45 AM. Reason: changed forwards to defenders
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The forward situation is the most complicated. We have 14 eligible to return, Wiffen, J. Ohrvall, Tironese, Hayhurst, Marrello, Polino, Reisinger, Burgess, E. Ohrvall, Stout, Burke, Jerry, Richards, and Ott. Mike Gornell, a North Dakota transfer, is already on campus. There are seven forwards who are due to arrive in the fall, Ashbrook, Lacka, DiGrande, Bendorf, Linden, Bowman, and Lee. That makes a total of 22 and there could be others whom we know nothing about. I don’t think anyone has suggested that we will keep 22. 15 or 16 seems most likely.

Of the newcomers, DiGrande, Linden, Bowman, and Lee are aging out of juniors and must come. Lacka, Ashbrook, and Bendorf could all go back to juniors. I do think that all will come. Ashbrook has signed a letter of intent which is another indication that he will show up in the fall. We don’t know about the other two. Bendorf already appears in the on-line RPI directory which is a sign that he intends to come. Lacka is the most likely to defer to 2019.

I received some indication of players likely to leave which I won’t mention. Also the Ohrvall brothers have not played much lately which makes me wonder about them. Stout, a late Appert recruit, may leave, but he has played more recently. We heard rumors at the beginning of this year that Hayhurst had to be convinced to stay at RPI. I certainly hope that he stays now. Any of the others could also leave, but it is far from clear to me who is likely.

I am very interested in others’ opinions on this and the previous two posts.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 5 March 2018. There are 215 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 6 October 2018 for the start of next season.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post

And that smiley isn't for what you think it is
                  II can think of several possible reasons.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    I suspect that a topic for conversation this off-season will certainly be the makeup of next season’s team. Let me initiate the discussion. I will post separately about goalies, defensemen and forwards.

The first post is about goalies. This is the simplest, but there are still questions. All three goalies, Perry, St.Denis, and Marshall, are eligible to return and we have one goalie recruit, Owen Savory. OS is a 97, so he must come in the fall. I don’t think that we will keep four goalies, so someone must be leaving. I think that Chase Perry will turn pro. He cannot transfer since he has already done that once.

Comments?
                    The obvious choice would be that either St. Denis or Savory goes to the club squad. I don't see Perry signing, especially if he wasn't able to earn the #1 spot this year. However, who knows what the "sophomore slump" will bring.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      The obvious choice would be that either St. Denis or Savory goes to the club squad. I don't see Perry signing, especially if he wasn't able to earn the #1 spot this year. However, who knows what the "sophomore slump" will bring.
                      I would be surprised if Savory is not on some level of athletic scholarship and St. Denis probably also. If they are, I don't think they can play ACHA hockey, and we wouldn't waste scholarship money on club hockey players anyway.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

last postgame interview
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvPlc9Fq7j0
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          I would be surprised if Savory is not on some level of athletic scholarship and St. Denis probably also. If they are, I don't think they can play ACHA hockey, and we wouldn't waste scholarship money on club hockey players anyway.
                          Don't know about ACHA, but I do know you're limited on the NCAA sanctioned sports (Craig Bokenfohr and Kevin Beauregard were walk-ons, so they could play golf and lacrosse respectively). You're probably correct, though, in that the monies are utilized elsewhere. We know for sure that the NLI means scholarship because it's part of the contract. Do we know which of our current players were known to have signed the NLI, even if it was for a previous year? I highly doubt a scholarship would be revoked and them still be here.

Comment

I would be shocked if Perry comes back next year. If Detroit is interested in him at all, they will find a place where he can get some ice time.
                            As far as the forwards, the only one I would miss if he left is Hayhurst. Burgess was a big bust as far as I was concerned. He should spend the off season shooting in a net. I would love to see the percentage of his shots taken that actually had to be saved. I think that he could fix that, and I hope he does, because he gets himself into good positions, but just doesn't come close to finishing.
                            If we had five guys playing with broken bones as the coach said, I would give them full marks for their effort this weekend.
                            As for the defense, we are losing our two best offensive defensemen. But I think that they can be replaced by Reilly and I liked the way Samec played offense when he got the chance.
                            I don't know what to expect from the incoming freshmen, but hopefully someone can score goals. We have a lot of potential in that area with Hayhurst, Jerry and Tironese, but they haven't closed the deal near enough. I would expect improvement from all of those guys.
                            I liked the way we played this year and if we continue to improve, we could go a long way next year. JMO
                            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                            Benjamin Franklin
                            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                            Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              Don't know about ACHA, but I do know you're limited on the NCAA sanctioned sports (Craig Bokenfohr and Kevin Beauregard were walk-ons, so they could play golf and lacrosse respectively). You're probably correct, though, in that the monies are utilized elsewhere. We know for sure that the NLI means scholarship because it's part of the contract. Do we know which of our current players were known to have signed the NLI, even if it was for a previous year? I highly doubt a scholarship would be revoked and them still be here.
                              The only ones I know have signed NLI are Ashbrook and Ferner as well as four of the women recruits.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                              X