Maine - the Golfing Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maine - the Golfing Season

Great first period, and then: TIMMAY TIME! They didn't look good, but looked so much better than early-season expectations. Thanks for the ride, boys. Next year.
    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Re: Maine - the Golfing Season

Well at least most of the courses are open.

Comment

and, you gave UMD a hell of a lesson on playing till the whistle.
      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
      Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Sorry Black Bear fans. Plenty of other opponents and I would have been cheering for Maine.
        Dirty: Why {shouldn't Grand Valley State} not just go the Miami way to fund DI? Rob banks and sell drugs.
        bigmrg74: GVSU has some speed, but not that kind of speed.

Comment

Season ends exceeding expectations. Definitely appreciate hard work by the seniors throughout their career. Maybe if Timmay actually hires a full time goalie coach we can actually have higher expectations going into next season...

Comment

Some Notes

-That was the 9th time in the last two seasons that UMaine lost or tied a game they held a multi-goal lead in.
            -It was the 19th time in the last two seasons they lost or tied a game they led in at one point or another.
            -It was the 29th time in the last two seasons they outshot an opponent through two periods, but were then outshot and/or outscored in the 3rd period.

Unfortunately, this is Maine Hockey's new M.O.

The last one, in terms of tonight, is what I really can't wrap my head around. You get stunned with 3 unanswered goals and go into the 2nd intermission down by one. You have one period to salvage your season and/or college career. You should be throwing the kitchen sink. And the best you can do is THREE....THREE?....THREE?! shots on goal in the 3rd period??

Comment

Originally posted by TripleE View Post
              Some Notes

-That was the 9th time in the last two seasons that UMaine lost or tied a game they held a multi-goal lead in.
              -It was the 19th time in the last two seasons they lost or tied a game they led in at one point or another.
              -It was the 29th time in the last two seasons they outshot an opponent through two periods, but were then outshot and/or outscored in the 3rd period.

The last one, in terms of tonight, is what I really can't wrap my head around. You get stunned with 3 unanswered goals and go into the 2nd intermission down by one. You have one period to salvage your season and/or college career. You should be throwing the kitchen sink. And the best you can do is THREE....THREE?....THREE?! shots on goal in the 3rd period??
              Jeebus I'm glad I didn't look all that but, those are absolutely damming numbers. Ouch.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
              43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
              104-47-14 (.669) in that time
              3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                Jeebus I'm glad I didn't look all that but
                haha, it wasn't looked at all at once. I'm definitely a stat nerd. After a game, I jot down a couple things I think are key stats so I just pull it up in times like this!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                  Great first period, and then: TIMMAY TIME! They didn't look good, but looked so much better than early-season expectations. Thanks for the ride, boys. Next year.
                  Well, it looks like a great summer coming up, I'm all stoked now. Wish they could have gone on to the Final Four, though....

Comment

UMD was a better, stronger team.

UMass-Lowell was actually in a similar position. Miami - for whatever reason - wasn't ready to go, right out of the gate. Lowell jumped on them enough that when Miami finally rallied, UML had a nice cushion and was able to hang on and get into a sudden death situation.

If Maine had been able to scratch across another power play goal (or even 2), the game might have had a different complexion.

But after the first half of the first period, Maine couldn't even establish offensive possession on the power play.

No surprise they couldn't do it 5x5 in the 3rd period. UMD was just a stronger team. Congrats to them. Hopefully Maine gets back soon -- and maybe get a first round game that's a better matchup.
                    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Wait till next year, an all too familiar theme for Maine hockey. Hope the recruiting class is as good as Drew thinks it will be. Hope a goalie coach shows up also
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I thought Maine outplayed UMD for most of the game. That fluky goal off the glass and the turnover immediately after that led to another sealed the deal. Still not sure how they allowed Maine's second goal to stand after the goal came off. I was at the game and didn't hear an explanation from the TV guys on it, but I thought the whistle was supposed to blow immediately.
                        Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                          I thought Maine outplayed UMD for most of the game. That fluky goal off the glass and the turnover immediately after that led to another sealed the deal. Still not sure how they allowed Maine's second goal to stand after the goal came off. I was at the game and didn't hear an explanation from the TV guys on it, but I thought the whistle was supposed to blow immediately.
                          from maine paper

WORCESTER, Mass. - The University of Maine-Minnesota-Duluth game had its share of strange goals.

The first one came in the second period and prompted a release from the NCAA to explain the referee's decision to count the goal.

Here's what happened:

Duluth's Caleb Herbert dislodged the Maine goal as he skated in back of goalie Dan Sullivan.

No whistle was blown, however, as the Black Bears carried the puck up ice. Mike Cornell passed to Matt Mangene on the right wing. He cut in and beat Duluth goalie Kenny Reiter with a backhander and Maine led 2-0 with 12:50 left in the game.

The goal was allowed because of rule 6-10-c, which states: "If the nonoffending team has an offensive opportunity and its defensive goal cage has been displaced, play shall be allowed to continue until the scoring chance is complete."

Duluth's players thought the play was over and slowed down. Maine did not.

"I told the kids on the bench, that's a good reason to never quit on anything," said Bulldogs Coach Scott Sandelin. "Everyone (on Duluth) kind of quit on that play. Give Maine credit, they kept playing."

Comment

Originally posted by TripleE View Post
                            Some Notes

I posted this in the other thread, but I think Maine was pretty gassed. It looked like the five games in two weeks plus the two long trips really took a toll on them. UMD has only played three games over the last couple of weeks. Its crazy but I almost felt better this year when Maine conceded first. I actually said that to the guy that was sitting next to me last night when Maine had the lead. Now we need to hope Mangene stays and Shore shows up. Also, hopefully Leen is able to get more healthy over the offseason. He has quite a bit of talent and its pretty unfortunate that he has been Crohn's disease. One thing that I think/hope we'll see next year is some pretty serious competition for places in the team. I think guys are going to have to work pretty hard to get in it. We might not have the devastating top line but depth should be better.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

They had a full week to rest since their last game and were gassed after 30 minutes? Wow, that's some pretty poor conditioning..

Comment

Working...
                              X