This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ginding away- stop putting sand in my oil... Part 4

We get 15 minute breaks every morning and afternoon by law, and besides, I'm not paid by the hour, am paid salary based on a 40 hour work week. A normal week for me is 50-60 hours. Thanks, but the situations are hardly comparable.
    Very comparable- you are not working while on the job RIGHT NOW.

She is not working on the job in the morning and evening.

I could care less that you get paid for 40 hours and work 60, you also don't know the background of this situation, but just judge based on the timecards that you should not be reading in the first place.

If this person is getting their job done, completely, as in 8 hours of desired work, but does it in 7:30, why is it a problem that they are not at work for the remaining 30 min?

BTW, get back to work.

Re: Ginding away- stop putting sand in my oil... Part 4

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    Very comparable- you are not working while on the job RIGHT NOW.

She is not working on the job in the morning and evening.

I could care less that you get paid for 40 hours and work 60, you also don't know the background of this situation, but just judge based on the timecards that you should not be reading in the first place.

If this person is getting their job done, completely, as in 8 hours of desired work, but does it in 7:30, why is it a problem that they are not at work for the remaining 30 min?

BTW, get back to work.
    I'm on my lunch now so I suppose its safe to post again? I won't even ask if you're working today.

I know more than you'd like to assume I do. She's a receptionist. She does a half *** job. Her main responsibilities are to take a few phone calls throughout the day, order office supplies, and keep our fridge stocked. She stocks the fridge maybe three times a week despite repeated requests to do it daily. She continually makes mistakes and doesn't follow direction very well. More often than not, if you head toward her desk, you can usually get there in time to see her click off of Facebook/shopping/news sites when she hears you coming. And I hate to sound condescending, but: She's a friggin' RECEPTIONIST.

She gets paid by the hour, hence her requirement to fill out a timesheet. If she is saying she works 8 hours but only works 7, she's falsifying an official document (Which by the way includes a statement about certifying that the person has worked the hours indicated). Pretty much renders your last point completely irrelevant. And who decides whether she's worked enough to fulfill 8 hours of "desired" work? Her? If she is supposed to be here until 5, but feels she has done enough to warrant leaving at 4 and does so while marking her time out as 5:00, and I need her to arrange to ship something at 4:30 and she's not around to do so, has she completed her duties for the day? She's getting paid at 4:30 despite her not being here, so I guess not, huh?

You may think its comparable, but its not. If we get 15 minutes of law-required breaks every morning and evening, and our policy states we're free to take them as we please, how am I not working on the job? I happen to take my breaks 5 minutes at a time to check a few things quickly. I don't like taking 15 minutes at a time, so if I post on here a few times a day, trust me, its not me "not working while on the job".

Yikes, lunch is almost over. I better get back to work before you can make more assumptions about my job and workplace and feel entitled to tell me when i should be working or not.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnypohlfan View Post
      I'm on my lunch now so I suppose its safe to post again? I won't even ask if you're working today.

I know more than you'd like to assume I do. She's a receptionist. She does a half *** job. Her main responsibilities are to take a few phone calls throughout the day, order office supplies, and keep our fridge stocked. She stocks the fridge maybe three times a week despite repeated requests to do it daily. She continually makes mistakes and doesn't follow direction very well. More often than not, if you head toward her desk, you can usually get there in time to see her click off of Facebook/shopping/news sites when she hears you coming. And I hate to sound condescending, but: She's a friggin' RECEPTIONIST.

She gets paid by the hour, hence her requirement to fill out a timesheet. If she is saying she works 8 hours but only works 7, she's falsifying an official document (Which by the way includes a statement about certifying that the person has worked the hours indicated). Pretty much renders your last point completely irrelevant. And who decides whether she's worked enough to fulfill 8 hours of "desired" work? Her? If she is supposed to be here until 5, but feels she has done enough to warrant leaving at 4 and does so while marking her time out as 5:00, and I need her to arrange to ship something at 4:30 and she's not around to do so, has she completed her duties for the day? She's getting paid at 4:30 despite her not being here, so I guess not, huh?

You may think its comparable, but its not. If we get 15 minutes of law-required breaks every morning and evening, and our policy states we're free to take them as we please, how am I not working on the job? I happen to take my breaks 5 minutes at a time to check a few things quickly. I don't like taking 15 minutes at a time, so if I post on here a few times a day, trust me, its not me "not working while on the job".

Yikes, lunch is almost over. I better get back to work before you can make more assumptions about my job and workplace and feel entitled to tell me when i should be working or not.
      If her BOSS (the one that makes sure she gets paid) thinks she does 8 hours of work, what you think is irrelevant.

Considering that multiple times, you've worked with her BOSS, seeing the falsified time, it does appear that the BOSS of this person is ok with the work she does.

Then again, they are your gears, grind away. Especially that extra time you spend thinking about it instead of working. Or during the 15min mandated by law.

Comment

****, its a good thing I don't work for either of you.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

If her BOSS (the one that makes sure she gets paid) thinks she does 8 hours of work, what you think is irrelevant.
          If you ran a company and an employee was falsifying a timesheet, being paid for time they were not working, and their manager overlooked it, you'd be ok with that? It might be irrelevant to someone who doesn't care about the company and the integrity of its employees, but neither of those apply to me. Knowing our CEO, in no way shape or form would he condone this. Its nice to know that you're ok with it. Let me know if you own a company and are looking for a dishonest set of employees. I'll be sure to send them your way! Your position on this whole ordeal shows a complete lack of integrity on your part, I hope you realize that.

Considering that multiple times, you've worked with her BOSS, seeing the falsified time, it does appear that the BOSS of this person is ok with the work she does.
          Making it more complicated: her boss is also my boss. I'm almost more concerned being directly supervised by someone who is complicit with time theft from the company, if that's the case here. Makes it a little more difficult to approach her if needed.

Then again, they are your gears, grind away. Especially that extra time you spend thinking about it instead of working. Or during the 15min mandated by law.
          Sarcasm and condescending tone duly noted. Doesn't help anyone's opinion of you, but that's your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnypohlfan View Post
            If you ran a company and an employee was falsifying a timesheet, being paid for time they were not working, and their manager overlooked it, you'd be ok with that? It might be irrelevant to someone who doesn't care about the company and the integrity of its employees, but neither of those apply to me. Knowing our CEO, in no way shape or form would he condone this. Its nice to know that you're ok with it. Let me know if you own a company and are looking for a dishonest set of employees. I'll be sure to send them your way! Your position on this whole ordeal shows a complete lack of integrity on your part, I hope you realize that.

Making it more complicated: her boss is also my boss. I'm almost more concerned being directly supervised by someone who is complicit with time theft from the company, if that's the case here. Makes it a little more difficult to approach her if needed.

Sarcasm and condescending tone duly noted. Doesn't help anyone's opinion of you, but that's your choice.
            Dude, it's obviously clear to me than a simple "stealing from the company" black/white issue. If her (and your BOSS) condones it, there is likely something to it. It's quite possible that YOUR BOSS isn't capable of doing anything about it- either warning or whatever- but then you question if your BOSS is even effective. Possibly she's taking pens.

Did I say that I approve it, or was it that I was implying that there's more to it if the BOSS approves of it?

But then again, you go so far as what- post a complaint here? You are now complicit in this, too. Yet here you are. That's integrity staring you in the face in the morning.

You do have that leagally mandated 15 min to approach your boss's boss....

Basically, I see that there's more to it. May be wrong, may not.

As for opinion of me- so what.

Comment

The fact of the matter is this...it's none of your business.

You said it appears your boss knows about it. Leave it at that. If they are letting it go without action, there's either a reason for it, or they'll eventually have to answer to the CEO for letting it continue unpunished. Either way it's not your job to play hall monitor.
              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
              Originally posted by Quizmire
              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post

You said it appears your boss knows about it. Leave it at that. If they are letting it go without action, there's either a reason for it, or they'll eventually have to answer to the CEO for letting it continue unpunished. Either way it's not your job to play hall monitor.
                I never understood why people meddle in other people's business while at work. You're there to do a job. Do said job and mind your business.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post

Yep. Is it really affecting you? Probably not. Chances are, it'll take care of itself sooner or later.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

You know what really gets my gears ginding? Phillipine folk music:

If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      Yep. Is it really affecting you? Probably not. Chances are, it'll take care of itself sooner or later.
                      My position entails cost/expenditure monitoring and reporting not only for my department but the company as a whole. Does it affect me directly? No. Does it affect the numbers in the reporting that I'm responsible for? Sure.

You have to understand, we have 23 people working here. We're not a huge company like yours Brent. Although we do business with your company (don't get me started on my opinion of them. ) We're family owned and have a certain image we project, of which integrity plays a huge part. So while it doesn't directly affect me that this person is stealing time and money from the company, I care enough about the company to be bothered that its going on.

We can leave it at that. I came here asking for people's opinions on what you think I should do in this situation, and I thank those of you who offered your thoughts and advice.

Comment

Spending three days on a piece for one of our publications then having someone change their mind about the content of the publication. I understand if we need to put something vital in over it, but changing the entire publication just because is unnecessary.

Comment

My typing/spelling.

Or has anyone else seen what a moron I am based on the title....

ginding??? What in the world is that?

1000 posts can't come fast enough (unless a mod is nice enough to add an R)

Comment

Waiting for the scanner at work to send stuff to the scan drive so I can go over it. Stupid slow network connection. Then said scanner not scanning all pages you need so haing to rescan it then having to wait in the slow connection induced queue.
                            Last edited by Tweedle Dee; 07-14-2011, 03:14 PM.
                            RITTIGERS FOR LIFE!!

Proud member of the Corner.

Support Hockey. Any Location, Any Time, Any Level, Any Gender. For some it's a game, for others a sport - for me, it's something more.

Comment

Or has anyone else seen what a moron I am based on the title....

ginding??? What in the world is that?
                              (read post #10 a little more closely)
                              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Working...
                              X