Ferris State University Hockey 2011-2012 - A New Lease On Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferris State University Hockey 2011-2012 - A New Lease On Life

Let's try this again, since apparently I cannot spell my alma mater's name properly.

Hi there. It's been quite the summer. But it's time again.

Again, as the years go by, I get farther and farther away from the team and the program. I guess living 200 miles away and having a Division III team in my neighborhood (literally) will do that. I don't have a lot to talk about as it relates to this year's team, as I'm watching less and less Ferris hockey of the years, for reasons listed above. I will say this. The losses of Zach Redmond and Scott Wietecha, along with Pat Nagle between the pipes, cannot be understated. Gentlemen, it was a pleasure watching you all play for four years.

I don't know much about the incoming freshmen, or who is replacing the two departed defensemen, but I know that with Taylor Nelson between the pipes, at least we're in good hands there. He's not Pat Nagle, but he's not going to hurt us any, either.

Now, for the two big elephants in the room. First, the impending move to the WCHA. It is my opinion (and only my opinion) that this was a program-saver. Full props to Mr. Weisenburger for taking the necessary steps to do everything to preserve our program. We were not going to be able to draw sufficiently to keep the program afloat, given the teams rumored to be joining the CCHA, if we had chosen that direction. Now we have no excuses. This is it. If we can't make it in the WCHA, we're not going to make it. This is the best-case scenario in front of us.

Regarding the other issue that I'm going to address. As an alum, and a former prominent member of the student section during some pretty bad years of hockey, I find it deplorable that the University has been trying to censor the student section in the manner they have. It is having a direct effect on the student section attendance, and down the road, a larger direct effect on the interest in the program, mainly in the terms of alumni donations (ahem). I heard the AD's interview during the WMU series, and he thought the WMU students were a bit profane. Ummmm...are you serious? If that's your idea of an obscene student section, perhaps you are better suited to be an athletic director at a southern bible college.

It's not just about students saying (insert the 4-letter bomb of your choice here. God knows I did when I was there). It's about the concept of the University trying to control what 18-to-22 year old students are saying, for absolutely no good reason. In times like these you need to encourage the students to attend, not give them a reason to stay away. If students are on eggshells because they might get tossed for saying something even remotely borderline, they'll just stay away in the process, and take their much-needed entertainment dollars, and later donations to the hockey program, with them. Much like you made the correct decision to move away from 5 PM Saturday games, and what I believe to be the correct move to the WCHA, you need to make the correct decision here as well.

Let the season begin.
    Last edited by Hammer; 10-01-2011, 08:49 PM.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Re: Ferris State University Hockey 2011-2012 - A New Lease On Life

Ferris sucks!
    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Looking forward to another great season. First Exhibition game Sunday, October 2nd, at 3:05 p.m. Pregame show at 2:30 p.m. here:

Bulldog Sports Network: Video Webcast | Audio Webcast

"Countdown to Faceoff" Series begins Monday, here's the preview:

Look out for way better online coverage of Ferris State Hockey this year. The Bulldog Sports Network will provide live video (home) and audio coverage of all of our games this year. Live Chat with fans during the games. Live Stats, video/audio on demand, etc.

Last edited by DominicHennig; 10-02-2011, 12:24 AM.

Comment

It's about time Ferris got rid of the B2 network - their streaming video service was terrible. Now if only they could have kept the B2 network pricing On another note I'm looking forward to the season! Where the scoring will come from is still a bit of a question mark, but I think this team has the potential to be significantly better than last year's. It looks like the exhibition game went pretty well today...albeit against a team that is probably not good at all, but I can't complain about a 5-0 shutout and goals coming from the freshman. Let the season begin!

Comment

Toronto Highlights

Comment

The third goal that the bulldogs scored was a heck-of-a shot!!! I would like to see Jordie put up some numbers this year!!!!!

Comment

Definitely an interesting year upcoming for so many different reasons. For myself personally, it will almost certainly be my last year of Ferris hockey, as I very likely won't be in Michigan this time next year. I won't be able to come to maybe any of the first half games, due to working the weekends. I didn't get season tickets in part because of this, but I'm sure one of the many people I know can get me some seats.

I share Hammer's thoughts on both accounts for sure. I'm glad the team will get into the WCHA, even though it is much weaker than before, the thought of likely Ferris, BG, and some "scrubs" wasn't exactly appealing. And as always, I worry about the students and if/when Ferris tries to censor them. That was the other reason I didn't get season tickets; I don't know if it will be worth going. I wouldn't be shocked for them to continue on their brigade. Hope I'm wrong, but it seems that the Parents Television Council is making the decisions.

And of course, once again we have no idea what to expect from the team. A lot of good players gone, still questions of who will score the goals and step up as the team leaders. Taylor Nelson, when he played last year, seemed off, so hopefully he can return to the great form he had not too long ago.

Either way, I'm curious to see how it all unfolds. GO BULLDOGS!

Comment

Video Preview for tonight:

Radio Feed (97.3 FM WDEE): http://client.stretchinternet.com/cl...castType=audio

Comment

Friday's game will be the annual free game for all Students with a valid student id. We are planning for a white out in the Student section as well. Lets hope that we can fill Ewigleben so we can make it as difficult for RPI to play in as we can.

Comment

Two wins this weekend would be very nice. I hope the offensive can keep up its attack. The defense and netminding should be of little worry. This is the weekend we get to see if FSU is gonna be good or very good this season.

On an unrelated note, I was just thinking how nice it's gonna be to watch WMU sit at the bottom of the NCHC while Ferris competes with NMU and Bemidji St. for the top of the WCHA every year.

Go Dawgs!
                    "What I get paid for are the practices, I would play the games for nothing."
                    - Tim Horton

Ferris State University
                    CCHA Champions 2003 & 2012

Comment

Fantastic weekend! Outstanding goaltending from both netminders and some of the best defense I've ever seen in Big Rapids. Time to get ready for the Red Hawks.

Go Dawgs!
                      "What I get paid for are the practices, I would play the games for nothing."
                      - Tim Horton

Ferris State University
                      CCHA Champions 2003 & 2012

Comment

Originally posted by hattrick16 View Post
                        Two wins this weekend would be very nice. I hope the offensive can keep up its attack. The defense and netminding should be of little worry. This is the weekend we get to see if FSU is gonna be good or very good this season.On an unrelated note, I was just thinking how nice it's gonna be to watch WMU sit at the bottom of the NCHC while Ferris competes with NMU and Bemidji St. for the top of the WCHA every year.Go Dawgs!
                        Yeah makes you wonder what some of those teams were thinking. Every conference has it's bottom feeders

Comment

What a way to start the season! We will need all the momentum we can get going into these next two weekends. With miami underachieving and UofM without merrill, I'd like to see us come out 2-2 or better though. Keep rolling dogs!

Comment

I know it is way to early to get excited about any type of polls but it is nice to see the bulldogs in the top 20. The bulldogs have two brutal weeks ahead. Miami and then U of M. 6 out of 12 points would be a nice spot.

Comment

Ferris at GVSU this week. Kinda nervous about it. might be the first time the football team beats the Lakers since 1999.
                              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Working...
                              X