X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

Carry On.

As for Super Bowl Sunday, I'm thinking slow cooker chili.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

Beans or no beans? Always a solid choice, SB or not.

Comment

I go beans, but half the amount a typical recipie would call for.

Comment

Kidney and black beans (yeah, I know I just signed my own death warrant in Texas). I do, however, use stew meat rather than ground beef, and at least two kinds of chiles, plus chipotle powder and smoked paprika.

Comment

Beans - but black, not kidney or pinto. And always less cumin than it calls for.

I don't make chili often, but I'm a fan of this one (I sub about 16 oz tomato sauce for the whole tomatoes, and use 2 cans black beans - no pinto): http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/beef...-chorizo-chili

It's "healthy", but has tons of flavor.
          Last edited by jen; 01-27-2015, 09:22 PM.

Comment

I make it maybe twice a year, but only in fall/winter, and always a double batch. The leftovers freeze well for up to a month.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              Kidney and black beans (yeah, I know I just signed my own death warrant in Texas). I do, however, use stew meat rather than ground beef, and at least two kinds of chiles, plus chipotle powder and smoked paprika.
              If available, "chuck eye" (among other names) steak makes really good chili meat. Off the same cut as ribeyes but from the end so too small to sell as ribeye steaks. High quality meat for a good price. Cube it up and it stays real tender no matter how long you cook the chili for.

Anyone make their base by infusing a stock with a homemade chile paste? Ever since being exposed to that method I haven't touched tomato sauce. Really adds fascinating depth and the longer you cook it the better tasting and more complex it gets.

And the anti-bean crowd can stuff it . If there ever were a dish that had no rules whatsoever...it's chili. That said, I agree with the opinions that black beans are the way to go.
              I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                Beans or no beans? Always a solid choice, SB or not.
                No beans, cayenne is a necessity, though. The slow heat that the cayenne creates.....oooooo yeah.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Also agree on the black beans...

Comment

It ain't chili if if doesn't have beans.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      It ain't chili if if doesn't have beans.
                      Definitely beans. Taking the suggestions here, I'll use black beans instead of kidney beans.
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                        Definitely beans. Taking the suggestions here, I'll use black beans instead of kidney beans.
                        You should use whatever kind of beans you like, or no beans, if that's what you like. That's the great thing about chili, almost everything works.
                        Last edited by jen; 01-28-2015, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                          You should use whatever kind of beans you like, or no beans, if that's what you like. That's the great thing about chili, almost everything works.
                          This.

I was being a smartazz.

My chili has ground beef, chorizo (my secret weapon), pinto beans, red beans, and black beans.
                          Code:
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Used 2.5 lbs of ground chuck, 3 small onions, 1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes, 1 can of kidney beans, 1 can of black beans, and 1 can of Great Northern beans. Took only 15 minutes to put together, and I feel I will have leftovers for a few days.

Comment

It's almost better to cook it the day before you need it. Chili is better the next day.

Another of my chili secrets is using a single can of Bush's chili strayer in a big batch. The flavor is good an gives you a foundation to build off of.
                              Code:

Comment

Working...
                              X