Minnesota State Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota State Offseason Thread

Unfortunately, that's where we are. In the offseason. So what do you see as the biggest concerns for next year? I am worried about goaltending. Obviously, Lacouvee is gone. Pawloski has been inconsistent at best.
    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
    Unfortunately, that's where we are. In the offseason. So what do you see as the biggest concerns for next year? I am worried about goaltending. Obviously, Lacouvee is gone. Pawloski has been inconsistent at best.
    Scoring will be an issue. With the 3 senior forwards and (I assume) Brinkley gone, that’s about 150 points disappearing. We can’t replace that. We’ll need to be better defensively and also get the goaltending you mentioned

Comment

Re: Minnesota State Offseason Thread

Im not sure on the offense bei g down that much. We still have the germans and jaremko coming back. Thats a good base. Im not sure where we go on the goaltending. If pawolski can just get back to being a solid positional goalie, we could be ok.

I kinda feel the same way as i did after the leitner/palmquist year. It feels like a us fighting for 2nd/3rd in conference.
      Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
        Scoring will be an issue. With the 3 senior forwards and (I assume) Brinkley gone, that’s about 150 points disappearing. We can’t replace that. We’ll need to be better defensively and also get the goaltending you mentioned
        Per twitter, this year’s senior class played 565 games, scored 143 goals, 188 assists, 331 points, won 101 games, 3 MacNaughton Cups, 1 Broadnoor, and 2 NCAA appearances.

Talk about leaving the program in a better spot than when you joined it!

The next step is clearly to win an NCAA game. That monkey needs to get off the back ASAP.
        AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Also, Daniel Brickley is leaving school, and will be choosing between San Jose, Los Angeles, and Detroit.
          AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post

I kinda feel the same way as i did after the leitner/palmquist year. It feels like a us fighting for 2nd/3rd in conference.
            Exactly my feelings. I have great faith in Coach Hastings, and I like the guys we have coming back (I think Mackey could really step up and be the best defenseman in the conference next year), but home ice for the playoffs next year is about our highest reasonable expectation.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
              Exactly my feelings. I have great faith in Coach Hastings, and I like the guys we have coming back (I think Mackey could really step up and be the best defenseman in the conference next year), but home ice for the playoffs next year is about our highest reasonable expectation.
              Thats at least until we know what we have in goal.

Comment

Thats at least until we know what we have in goal.
                I wouldn’t be surprised if the Mavs look the route of a grad transfer again, similar to LaCouvee’s situation.

Two guys coming in next year, not exactly lighting up the stat sheet...

Jacob Berger - Merritt Cenntenials - BCHL
                13-24-0 with a .905 save percentage and 3.45 GAA.

Dryden McKay - Madison Capitols - USHL

18-21-1 with a .909 save percentage and 3.30 GAA
                Last edited by MavHockey14; 03-27-2018, 12:03 PM.
                AF 99

Comment

I don’t mean to be arrogant, but I think the expectation for this program should be to make the NCAA Tournament every year in the current WCHA.

The Mavs have established themselves as the conference’s top program currently, amassing the most wins in the country, beefing up the non conference schedule, etc.

The level of investment into the program is one designed to return championships — as fans, we should expect that this team is winning the league regularly and in the NCAAs most years, etc.

Now, I know the WCHA has had some other programs put together a couple of very good teams — but no one in the WCHA has better advantages in recruiting than MSU. Expectations should reflect that.
                  AF 99

Comment

I agree with that. I dont necessarily tbink its arrogant so much as it reality in the WCHA. There are some programs in the league that have taken thos approach and others that havent. MSU is one of the schools that has. We should be competing foe the league championship.

Next year has the feel of being a down year due to the sheer volume of offense being lost. That being said, MSU is one of the few teams in the conference that schedules in a way that allows us to make the NCAAs without winning the league. It makes the non-conference of utmost importance, but that schedule makes it possible year in and year out.

Comment

Any concern that Hastings is considered for the st cloud job and it is his alma mater? Im not much of a "the sky is falling" guy, but just curious if that is a consideration?

Comment

Any concern that Hastings is considered for the st cloud job and it is his alma mater? Im not much of a "the sky is falling" guy, but just curious if that is a consideration?
                        He will definitely get a call.

Mavericks should be able to match any salary that SCSU gives as an offer.

Hastings will have to decide if moving his family up to St. Cloud, with his son in HS, and his daughter a freshman softball player here, is worth coaching at his alma mater and moving into the NCHC.
                        AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                          I don’t mean to be arrogant, but I think the expectation for this program should be to make the NCAA Tournament every year in the current WCHA.

The Mavs have established themselves as the conference’s top program currently, amassing the most wins in the country, beefing up the non conference schedule, etc.

The level of investment into the program is one designed to return championships — as fans, we should expect that this team is winning the league regularly and in the NCAAs most years, etc.

Now, I know the WCHA has had some other programs put together a couple of very good teams — but no one in the WCHA has better advantages in recruiting than MSU. Expectations should reflect that.
                          I'd say Tech is right there with them, probably tied for top program, NCAA's 3 of 4 years, Shared a MacNaughton, 1 - Broadmoor and 1 - Sauer trophy and 97 wins over the last 4 years.
                          2005-2006: 7-25-6
                          2006-2007: 18-17-5
                          2007-2008: 14-20-5
                          2008-2009: 6-25-7
                          2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

IF Mike Hastings leaves Mankato for SCSU, I would think Todd Knott would likely take over here, FWIW.

I know he’s been highly thought of for awhile in the coaching community, is a fantastic recruiter, and now seeing Brad Schliemann, Grand Forks Herlad report he’s heard Knott as a name to watch throughout the coaching carousel.
                            AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                              I'd say Tech is right there with them, probably tied for top program, NCAA's 3 of 4 years, Shared a MacNaughton, 1 - Broadmoor and 1 - Sauer trophy and 97 wins over the last 4 years.
                              I'd agree with that.

And Bemidji will always be a top-5 team with Serratorre at the helm. I would also suggest that Northern Michigan is an up-and-comer, especially if Potulny stays in Marquette for a while. Frankly I'm surprised the Goofers didn't give Potulny a harder look before grabbing Motzko.

The upper tier of the WCHA is definately getting more competitive. Hoping to see improvement from #6-10 in the WCHA,as well. That would be a very good thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X