Irish hockey: Straight Inta the Off-Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish hockey: Straight Inta the Off-Season

I've been thinking about what was good, bad or indifferent about this past season and each column has quite a few entries.

The good includes:

1. Wins over half of the field still playing
    2. T.J. Tynan disproving the "sophomore slump" theory while averaging more than a point/game
    3. The emergence of Austin Wuthrich and Robbie Russo as solid players
    4. The (final) emergence of Steven Summerhays between the pipes with a 2.43 GA (better than 5 of the goalies still playing) and a save % of .910 (tying him with 3 of the goalies who still have games to play)
    5. A winning % of 70% when scoring first (which actually surprised me because I thought protecting a lead was difficult for the Irish at times)

The indifferent includes:

1. A winning % of 37% when giving up the first goal; not a great number but better than our opponents
    2. An 18.5% PP efficacy which puts us in the top half of teams (given the struggles in offense, this number is quite acceptable)
    3. A 2.67 GA which puts us in the top 40% of teams (not great, but not horrific either)
    4. An 82.9% PK efficiency which amazingly puts ND in the top third in the nation (I would have loved to have seen this number around 88%)

The bad is a long list that includes:

1. 18 losses, the 2nd most in Coach Jackson's tenure here (the most was 19 in his first season)
    2. A losing conference record
    3. No shootout points (making us the only CCHA team to record no victories in that gimmick, in fact, we were the only CCHA team to record no goals in the SO)
    4. David Gerths, Bryan Rust and Mike Voran proving the "sophomore slump" theory
    5. Anders Lee's scoring drought (and pipes hit, which is part of the desert, but seemingly the more frustrating part)
    6. A 2.52 GF which put ND 45th in the country in offense (and let me tell ya, the teams below them had some baaaad seasons)
    7. A winning % at home of barely above .500 (they say you are supposed to sweep at home, and while it's good to strive for that, I always think of a winning % of at least .700 at home as a good benchmark)
    8. A winning % on the road of .395 (they also say you should split on the road, which I totally agree with, meaning this number just sucks)
    9. Coach Jackson's handling of...well, most stuff this season, but more specifically the goalie situation. A good teacher constantly re-evaluates his or her lessons, tests, assignments, etc. Reflection should be done weekly, if not daily, to be an effective teacher. A good teacher is not afraid (as difficult as it is) to say, "Man, that did not go well. I should try..."

For me, I do not know how to apologize (it sucks admitting when you messed up), I try to move on from bad situations (a virtually impossible task) and I hope to change and grow (but how I hate change). Because really without those 3 things, there's no difference between us and tree stumps. And who wants to be a tree stump?
    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Re: Irish hockey: Straight Inta the Off-Season

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
    For me, I do not know how to apologize (it sucks admitting when you messed up), I try to move on from bad situations (a virtually impossible task) and I hope to change and grow (but how I hate change). Because really without those 3 things, there's no difference between us and tree stumps. And who wants to be a tree stump?
    So, four Hockey East teams earned spots in the NCAA Tournament. Are you still thinking Notre Dame is too good for Hockey East?
    Buffoon Detector

Comment

Originally posted by Redhead View Post
      So, four Hockey East teams earned spots in the NCAA Tournament. Are you still thinking Notre Dame is too good for Hockey East?
      They are.

(Just keep them away)
      Boston University 2014
      It's all part of the plan.

Comment

No Notre Dame fan who posts here has EVER said Notre Dame was too good for Hockey East. Some of us may have wished for something different to make travel to road games a little more convenient, but in fact after things all shook out, most of us were actually happy to have ended up there. My guess is Hockey East is too good for you, whoever you are.
        Last edited by WeAreNDHockey; 03-22-2012, 01:27 AM.

Comment

When did I ever say they were "too good" for HE???!

Please, please, please brush up on reading comprehension before coming on here and making ridiculous accusations. Please. If reading comprehension isn't a strong suit, it just makes you look like a moron.

Edit: Aah. A quick search tells me that you have been a "member" of this site for a year and have made all of 9 posts, one of which is this one. Let me guess...you're about 32, slightly pudgy, still live at home and went stag to your high school prom.

One of the drawbacks of fan forums, I know...
          Last edited by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.; 03-22-2012, 09:21 AM.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

JJfP 10/2/2011:
            "I just had to clean the barf off my keyboard...
            I see zero positives coming from this... Other than a once a year rivalry with BC, how many ND fans other than me would get worked up playing MC or UML? ...And before anyone chimes in with all the NC's HE has, they have 4 of the last 11, but those are from 2 teams out of a 10 team conference. The new conference has 4 in the last 12 from 3 teams in an 8 team conference. Which sounds more "premier?"
            Buffoon Detector

Comment

JJfP 10/2/2011:
              How do you read that and get that ND is too good for HE? You should read that I think the new conference should be better than HE. That's it.

Again. Learn to comprehend.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                Again. Learn to comprehend.
                Too many threads seem to attract a large proportion of drive by and occasional posters who see only what they want to see. It's so much worse around here than it used to be. So bad that I rarely bother reading most of the the threads not involving Notre Dame. Too bad really. It's one of the reasons I post in/read the UM threads, especially in and around the time we're playing them. Because despite the fact that as a Note Dame fan I'm not all that fond of UM, their posters on this forum are some of the most level headed and articulate people on the board. Aside from one or two, the whole bunch of them seem like the best kinds of college hockey fans. And quite a few (Alton especially, but there are others as well) are some of the best go-to people on the board when information about the NCAA, questions about TV deals, or history of the game and like items need to be researched. Oh well, one of the pitfalls of the internet I guess. At least dumb people around us don't HAVE to make us dumber. I hope.

Comment

I would add DU and WMU fans to your list. I have heard from several and they are just nice people.

Hope I didn't just blow someone's street cred...

Comment

IHF, you are doomed when you get to HE. They're almost proud of their flamefests.

I'm just glad the mlive Broncos can't find their way here. There were a double handful of them that were angry that the "man" was screwing us with our low seed in the tournament. One brave soul was trying to explain the pairwise. Sadly, he failed.
                    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                      IHF, you are doomed when you get to HE. They're almost proud of their flamefests.
                      Yeah, I'm aware of their reputation. At one time the (mostly) annual BC/ND game would generate a little of the flaming the Hockey East folk are proud of, but not so much any more. After next season I think this place will be a lot less interesting to me.

In other news, Sean Lorenz joined Riley Sheahan among the ranks of former Irish hockey payers making their AHL debuts, skating with the Houston Aeros last night.

And I was hoping the Notre Dame off season thread wouldn't disappear to the 4th page until Prince Fielder had at least homered once in Comerica Park, but I suppose that was optimistic with the lingering bitterness from the season still fairly evident. Still, we were 3-3 against the Frozen Four field. That's something right? OK, it really isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                        And I was hoping the Notre Dame off season thread wouldn't disappear to the 4th page until Prince Fielder had at least homered once in Comerica Park, but I suppose that was optimistic with the lingering bitterness from the season still fairly evident. Still, we were 3-3 against the Frozen Four field. That's something right? OK, it really isn't.
                        Bitterness. That's a good word for it.

2 years ago I did not attend the awards presentation (not that I would have wanted to) because I had a game at the same time. There is no conflict for this Sunday's awards thing, but I'm not going. And while I could say it's because I'm cheap and don't feel like spending the $30 it would cost for appetizers for Mr. JJfP and me to attend, it's really because I'm so disappointed, slightly angry and still bitter about the end of this season.

I've been wondering about the adjustments that need to be made for next season. I've also been wondering if Coach Jackson has the stones to make those adjustments. Anders Lee should wear the C because I believe he is the player who will hold his teammates accountable and not shy away from telling someone to step it up. While I think soon-to-be-senior Sam Calabrese could wear an A effectively (he has good vision on the ice, keeps his head about him, etc.), I want the soon-to-be-junior Lee to be the captain. And none of this co-captain crap. It didn't work. I think Sean Lorenz and Billy Maday are both too soft-spoken to have each worn the C. I want a leader who looks like he could kill the player beside him if said player punks out.

I'm hopeful that the hype from this season is now old and none of the returning players believe in it anymore. All the media speculation, the questions, the new home, the documentary, the pre-season rankings went straight to their heads like fizz in root beer. But like that root beer, when admired too long and not drunk quickly, it goes flat.

So raise that glass. Here's to stock-taking, soul-searching and regrouping in the off-season.

Drink quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                          Yeah, I'm aware of their reputation. At one time the (mostly) annual BC/ND game would generate a little of the flaming the Hockey East folk are proud of, but not so much any more. After next season I think this place will be a lot less interesting to me.

In other news, Sean Lorenz joined Riley Sheahan among the ranks of former Irish hockey payers making their AHL debuts, skating with the Houston Aeros last night.

We were undefeated in 6 games vs. Frozen Four teams. Totally asking if we can hang a banner. We've still got room.
                          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                            We were undefeated in 6 games vs. Frozen Four teams. Totally asking if we can hang a banner. We've still got room.
                            Well you guys are adding a pretty impressive one from earlier in the month. Belated congratulations on the Mason Cup. With your top scorers returning, Slubowski between the pipes, and none of the dysfunction I see in my program, I think Western is in better shape than Notre Dame. Murray did a good job this season, and I think he'll probably be a little better next year.

Comment

The CFIA is hosting a learn to skate/play hockey series. It begins April 9th and is run by Mike McNeil and Jason Nightingale. I've attended hockey clinics run by both and I highly recommend them as teachers.

Comment

Working...
                              X