Stout Returns Leading Scorer in Branden Gay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stout Returns Leading Scorer in Branden Gay

In a surprise to many Stout gets Branden Gay back for another season.

See the story at Stouthockey.com

Link to story
    UW-Stout Hockey 2009 Peters Cup Champions, and Home to the best fans in the land, the Devil's Advocates
    UW-Stout Graduate 2011
    "The Goalie Mask Guy"
    D-1 College Team: Wisconsin Badgers
    NHL Team: Detroit Red Wings

Re: Stout Returns Leading Scorer in Branden Gay

That is big news for Stout. Do you know what exactly caused the mix up at RMU? I am glad for Branden's sake that someone caught the mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by AVFC View Post
      That is big news for Stout. Do you know what exactly caused the mix up at RMU? I am glad for Branden's sake that someone caught the mistake.
      My guess is it has something to do with his Red-shirt season. A Red-shirt wouldn't save him a year of DIII eligibility, but a medical red-shirt would. Just guessing here, but I'd venture to say the mix-up was in the documentation of the injury causing the decision to red-shirt him.
      Plattsburgh CARDINALS
      SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
      ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
      NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
      NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
      NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
      NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Very fortunate for Gay and Stout, I am sure that is how it went down and I am NOT saying anything was not legit just saying it seems odd that you don`t know when you redshirt that you your coach or someoen in charge doesn`t bring to your attention you are still eligible for 4 more years of college atheletics. Usually sports are so important to you that your coaches and administartion know that especially if you are a star
        player.

Comment

Originally posted by Collegeman View Post
          Very fortunate for Gay and Stout, I am sure that is how it went down and I am NOT saying anything was not legit just saying it seems odd that you don`t know when you redshirt that you your coach or someoen in charge doesn`t bring to your attention you are still eligible for 4 more years of college atheletics. Usually sports are so important to you that your coaches and administartion know that especially if you are a star
          player.
          Again, I don't know anything specific to this situation, but if this is like any of the prior situations similar to this, it was more a case of...

1) The NCAA initially said, based on the paperwork from RMU, he would be done after 2010/2011.
          2) The Team/Player promptly appealed the decision and has likely been working with the NCAA and RMU since then to resolve the issue.
          3) Until the result of that appeal was given to the school by the NCAA, both school and player had to operate based on the initial NCAA ruling.
          4) We're hearing about it now that the NCAA has officially confirmed his extra year of eligibility.

That is, at least, what makes sense to me here. Then again, SUNY Morrisville found out they were postseason-eligible in January of that season, and you'd think that would be something important to know from the start, too. So anything's possible
          Plattsburgh CARDINALS
          SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23

Comment

I think Gay tried out for a AHL team didn`t make it and returned to Stout to up his worth, get another year in to make the pro transition more secure. You don`t need a medical/injury to sit out a year you just red shirt and you get that year. High doubtful you forget about it, loose track or don`t know your status when hockey is your life.

Comment

I think Gay tried out for a AHL team didn`t make it and returned to Stout to up his worth, get another year in to make the pro transition more secure. You don`t need a medical/injury to sit out a year you just red shirt and you get that year. High doubtful you forget about it, loose track or don`t know your status when hockey is your life.
              Wrong. In Division III, the only Red-Shirt allowed is a MEDICAL red-shirt. And for that to happen, it has to be a documented injury or illness that occurred before the completion of the game that marks 1/3 through the teams season (so, for DIII Hockey, the team must have played 8 games or fewer). Any other form of Red-shirt is invalid in Division III. It's been that way since 2003, I believe. It was a part of a reform package proposed by the President of Middlebury College.

So again, the player likely knew what his status was, but the NCAA disagreed, and so they had to operate based on what the NCAA was saying until an appeal process was completed and determined that he did have another year.

That second paragraph is, as stated before, my speculation. The first paragraph of my post is, however, fact. It's a known DIII bylaw, you can't argue with that.
              Last edited by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh; 10-09-2011, 10:32 AM.
              Plattsburgh CARDINALS

Comment

so, he's been on campus studying hard for the last six weeks with his fingers crossed he would be granted another year of eligibility?

Comment

Players in the last few years in the NCHA don`t lose a year of elidibility when they transfer from one college to another. THey sit a year, red shirt, play the next season

Comment

Players in the last few years in the NCHA don`t lose a year of elidibility when they transfer from one college to another. THey sit a year, red shirt, play the next season
                    If, as CARDS_rule_the_Burgh noted, if they played more than 8 games in an academic year, they HAVE used a year of eligibility, even in the NCHA. Per the NCAA, you have 10-semesters to complete your four seasons of eligibility, so sitting out year (i.e. NO red-shirt - simply NOT being on the team - yet), is likely what is happening.
                    Larry Normandin
                    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Norm's right - you get 5 years to play 4....
                      LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                        If, as CARDS_rule_the_Burgh noted, if they played more than 8 games in an academic year, they HAVE used a year of eligibility, even in the NCHA. Per the NCAA, you have 10-semesters to complete your four seasons of eligibility, so sitting out year (i.e. NO red-shirt - simply NOT being on the team - yet), is likely what is happening.
                        Another note to make, of course, is that any participation with the team after the 8th game burns the year of eligibilty.

Also, if no documented injury barring continued participation occurs before the start of the 9th game, any participation with the team (before OR after that point in the season) has burned the year of eligibility. If you participate with the team, and an injury does not end your season within the first 1/3, you have used the year of eligibility. The reason this prohibits Red-shirts: Practices count as participation.
                        Plattsburgh CARDINALS

Comment

Working...
                        X