No announcement yet.

Sunyac 2011-2012 thoughts comments....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunyac 2011-2012 thoughts comments....

We are less then 2 months away from the opening of the 2011-2012 SUNYAC season....thoughts? comments? discuss....

My predictions....

GENESEO ICE KNIGHTS
    2011-2012 PREDICTED : 1ST
    2010-2011 CONF : 10 -5-1
    2010-2011 FINISH : 2ND
    KEY WINS : 7-3 vs Plattsburgh
    KEY LOSES : 2-3 @ Morrisville, 1-7 vs Oswego, 2-3 vs Brockport

The Ice Knights return a lot of experience to the 2011-2012 season. There is sure to be a sour taste in Geneseo’s mouth after being bounced in the SUNYAC Semi Finals at home, in over time against rival Plattsburgh State 2-3. A game in which saw both teams have several chances to end the game early. Geneseo will make it a three team race at the top for the SUNYAC regular season crown. I would expect Geneseo to put at least two if not three players in the SUNYAC Top 10 scoring leaders this season as Sophomore Zachary Vit and a healthy Rich Manley will be one of the top leaders. Defense? Danny Scagnelli and Jake Yard will provide both an offensive punch and defensive line in front of the best tandem goaltenders in the SUNYAC in Gershon and Rubeniuk, who finished 3rd and 5th in SUNYAC goaltending GAA.

SENIORS LOST : 6 (RYGIEL)
    SENIORS ON : 8
    KEY RETURNING PLAYERS : Vit, Manley, Gershon, Scagnelli, Yard

OSWEGO STATE LAKERS

2011-2012 PREDICTED : 2ND
    2010-2011 CONF : 15-1-0
    2010-2011 FINISH : 1ST
    KEY WINS : ALL
    KEY LOSES : 2-5 vs Morrisville

The Lakers did it again in 2011. They won the SUNYAC regular season crown for the 5th time in the past 7 years, yet didn’t take home the tournament championship for the 4th time in those 5 times of winning the regular season title following a 1-2 loss at home to the 6th seed Fredonia State Blue Devils. Their only loss during the regular season was a 2-5 loss at home against Morrisville, but was challenged through out the season by everyone. Gone are senior forwards Justin Fox, Chris Laganiere and defensemen Stephen Mallaro and Kevin Huinink. The Lakers do bring back SUNYAC leading scorer Ian Boots and SUNYAC leading goaltender Paul Beckwith who was plagued by injuries last season. There will be a lot of pressure on the Lakers to return to not only the SUNYAC Championship, but to the National scene as well.

SENIORS LOST : 7 (FOX, HUININK, LAGANIERE, MALLARO)
    SENIORS ON : 5
    KEY RETURNING PLAYERS : Boots, Beckwith, Whitelaw

PLATTSBURGH STATE CARDINALS
    2011-2012 PREDICTED : 3RD
    2010-2011 CONF : 9-7-0
    2010-2011 FINISH : 4TH
    KEY WINS : 6-2 @ Morrisville, 3-1 @ Fredonia
    KEY LOSES : 2-3 vs Morrisvlle, 2-6 vs Buff State, 0-2 vs Cortland

A tale of two seasons for the Plattsburgh State Cardinals. A team that was undefeated in its Non-Conference schedule including wins over Norwich (2), Williams, Curry, Neumann, but went only 9-7-0 in Conference play including 4 SUNYAC regular season home loses. Something that has not been done in Bob Emery’s coaching career. By my count Plattsburgh has lost 14 players from last years opening roster. Could this finally be the rebuilding year the rest of the SUNYAC has always waited for? Will Plattsburgh finally not make a SUNYAC Championship game under Bob Emery? Or will Emery prove once again why he is one of, if not the best, coach in the SUNYAC and have his team ready to compete for a 21st SUNYAC Championship.

SENIORS LOST : 5 (CLARK, SATIM)
    SENIORS ON : 6
    KEY RETURNING PLAYERS : Jensen, Craig, Kudroch, Leis

BUFFALO STATE BENGALS
    2011-2012 PREDICTED : 4TH
    2010-2011 CONF : 8-5-3
    2010-2011 FINISH : 3RD
    KEY WINS : Swept Plattsburgh
    KEY LOSES : 3-4 at Cortland

The Buffalo State Bengals with a first round bye in the SUNYAC Tournament? The Bengals were 3 ties away from doing just that last year. Just one year after they were caught with NCAA infractions, the Buff State Bengals had a chip on their shoulder. Not many teams can say they swept Plattsburgh State on the season, let alone Buffalo. They doubled their win total ALL time against Plattsburgh. The Bengals had only beaten Plattsburgh once prior to the 2010-2011 season in 78 attempts. A new direction for Brian Dickerson. There will be 13 sophomores on this years Buffalo State team including one of the best goaltenders in the SUNYAC in Kevin Carr. The Bengals do lose Nick Petriello (4-15-19) but do return the SUNYAC Co-Goal scoring champion in junior Trevor McKinney (10-7-17). If Buffalo can continue to maintain their progress and cut down on penalties, they could make it a four-way race to the top. Who would have thunk it.

SENIORS LOST : 2 (PETRIELLO)
    SENIORS ON : 3
    KEY RETURNING PLAYERS : McKinney, Knee, Carr

FREDONIA STATE BLUE DEVILS
    2011-2012 PREDICTED : 5TH
    2010-2011 CONF : 7-8-1
    2010-2011 FINISH : 6TH
    KEY WINS : 6-4 at Buff St, 6-5 OT at Morrisville
    KEY LOSES : 4-5 OT vs Oswego, 1-2 vs Geneseo

It was an up and down season for Fredonia that fell one game short of a great story. Never has a 6 seed won the SUNYAC title, but Fredonia almost did just that. Of Fredonia’s 8 conference loses, 6 were decided by two goals or less including 4 by 1 goal. Fredonia does lose some firepower with All SUNYAC Seniors Oye and, Rizer gone. They do return one of the best forwards in the league in Senior Bryan Ross (10-15-25) who was tied for 2nd in SUNYAC scoring in 2011. The Blue Devils will need to play like they did on their tournament run to keep pace in the SUNYAC.

SENIORS LOST : 5 (RIZER, OYE, MORTON)
    SENIORS ON : 4
    KEY RETURNING PLAYERS : Ross, Hehr, Waldman, Friesen

MORRISVILLE STATE MUSTANGS
    2011-2012 PREDICTED : 6TH
    2010-2011 CONF : 8-7-1
    2010-2011 FINISH : 5TH
    KEY WINS : 3-2 @ Plattsburgh, 5-2 @ Oswego
    KEY LOSES : Swept by Potsdam
    SENIORS LOST : 8 (RELCOFF, MATHESON, SGARBOSSA, CASS)
    SENIORS ON : 3
    KEY RETURNING PLAYERS : Swan, Matzel

Go into the Stafford Ice Arena, and win. Go into the Campus Center, and win. Something any team in the SUNYAC would love to have on their resume, especially the newest member in the conference, the Morrisville Mustangs. That’s just what they did last year winning at both Plattsburgh and Oswego. However, the Mustangs lose the most seniors this year out of any SUNYAC school including Mr. Mustang himself Caylin Relkoff. They do return some firepower to their line up including Junior Tyler Swan and Geoff Matzel who finished 1 and 2 on the Mustangs overall team statistics. Morrisville will have to replace Relkoff as their number one priority. If they don’t find an adequate replacement, it could be a step back for the Mustangs who have improved year after year since joining the league. Transfer sophomore goaltender Chris Azzano (Wentworth ECACNE) will look to be that savior. In 23 games last season Azzano went 13-7-3 with a 2.52 GAA and a .914 Save%. We will have to wait and see how his numbers transform into a much tougher league. Former Potsdam State standout Todd Hosmer has also transferred into the Mustangs lineup. Hosmer 2-1/2 seasons with the Bears (27-35-62) was one of the top forwards in Potsdam and was tied for 8th in overall SUNYAC points in his last full season at Potsdam. The 6'1'' 195lbs forward will bring a much needed fire power and physical presence to the Mustang lineup.

CORTLAND RED DRAGONS

2011-2012 PREDICTED : 7TH
    2010-2011 CONF : 5-10-1
    2010-2011 FINISH : 7TH
    KEY WINS : Sweep of the North Country
    KEY LOSES : 2-4 @ Brockport, 3-4 vs Oswego

The Dragons finished 4 points out of the playoffs even with a much improved season losing several key games by a goal and pushing the limits of the top SUNYAC teams. The highlight for the Dragons had to have been the North Country (Plattsburgh, Potsdam) Sweep for the first time in Cortland history. The Red Dragons only lose 3 seniors from the 2010-2011 season, and will be senior heavy in 2011-2012 with 15 seniors. Once again the SUNYAC will see an improved Cortland team, but will fall short by a point or two of that final SUNYAC playoff spot.

SENIORS LOST : 3 (GOLD)
    SENIORS ON : 15
    KEY RETURNING PLAYERS : Christiano, Lysyj

POTSDAM STATE BEARS
    2011-2012 PREDICTED : 8TH
    2010-2011 CONF : 4-12-0
    2010-2011 FINISH : 8TH
    KEY WINS : Swept Morrisville on the season
    KEY LOSES : A lot

A team in turmoil will look to rebound from a disappointing season which saw players leaving early, suspensions and NCAA violations. The Bears lose 3 of their top 4 overall scorers. It’s also believed that now senior forward Todd Hosmer will be transferring to another school as well. The Bears will have to rely on several sophomore forwards to put some points on the board because they need it. Potsdam ranked last with Brockport for overall team defense giving up an average of 5.00 goals a game.

SENIORS LOST : 6 (SMITH, MacLELLAN, MacLENNAN)
    SENIORS ON : 6
    KEY RETURNING PLAYERS : Nutkevitch

The COLLGEG AT BROCKPORT GOLDEN EAGLES
    2011-2012 PREDICTED : 9TH
    2010-2011 CONF : 2-13-1
    2010-2011 FINISH : 9TH
    KEY WINS : 3-2 @ Geneseo, 4-2 vs Cortland
    KEY LOSES : ALL

It looks to be another season of rebuilding for the Eagles. New name, same result. Cody will once again be the bright spot at Brockport, but with little to no supporting cast I don’t foresee Brockport winning more then 3-4 games this season max.

SENIORS LOST : 6 (NOBLEGALLIANI)
    SENIORS ON : 7
    KEY RETURNING PLAYERS : Cody, Finnerty, Wren
    Remy Babineaux
    remyb616@gmail.com
    D3FHL Web Page

Re: Sunyac 2011-2012 thoughts comments....

I'm interested to see what Alex Jensen (Nick's younger brother) has to offer for the Cardinals..... I've heard that he is supposed to be better than Nick, but I think only time will tell.
    Jim Reisdorf
    Standing on the Rail #59

jim@loremans.com contact me for all your custom embroidery, engraving and screen printing needs! check out our website... www.loremans.com

Romney will be missed by all that have been there for the great match ups between Platty and 'Wego!!!

After Closing out Romney the right way, We opened the new rink the right way.... another loss for the Lakers!

St. Louis is a BUM!!!!

Go Sabres!!!

Comment

I think it will be an exciting year in SUNYAC hockey. I hear that the Cards have several solid recruits coming in, return with Leis, another goal tender and veteran returning upperclassmen should add to the mix. I have high hopes for this team and we will know soon enough. Four SUNY games on the road...But they'll be ready. Bob will work his Magic.

Comment

man PSUchamps 2001 can sure write up a storm.........well I dont think it will be much of a different yr in the SUNYAC.....oz platty and genny..........frddy etc.....what happens in the playoffs is anybody guess, but I am sure it will be fun and exciting...........good luck to all......

Comment

Remy, I think the SUNYAC conference needs to get you a job lol. Nice writeup (or typeup), I just have a hard time believing Genny is going to take number 1 over Oswego. I feel like Geneseo's forward lines aren't deep enough, not as deep as Oswego's. I don't think the Scagnelli/Yard combo can make up for the lack of depth offensively. This will be Plattsburgh's most challenging season since I've been a follower; we say this every year though, and every year Emery proves that he is one of, if not, the best coaches in D3 hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by sticksnstones View Post
            Remy, I think the SUNYAC conference needs to get you a job lol. Nice writeup (or typeup), I just have a hard time believing Genny is going to take number 1 over Oswego. I feel like Geneseo's forward lines aren't deep enough, not as deep as Oswego's. I don't think the Scagnelli/Yard combo can make up for the lack of depth offensively. This will be Plattsburgh's most challenging season since I've been a follower; we say this every year though, and every year Emery proves that he is one of, if not, the best coaches in D3 hockey.
            I pondered the same thought over and over. Geneseo only had 2 seniors in their top 15 overall scoring with the top senior at #9, so the main core of the Ice Knights is back. Manley and Vic will be studs. The departing seniors only made up less then 10% of Geneseo's total offense. A healthy Manley will easily pick up 4-6 more goals to make up the difference. Scagnelli was a first team All-SUNYAC and with the loss of Rizer, Mallaro, and Huinink I would expect to see Yard added in this year. Oswego only had 2 more players with 5 or more points then Geneseo. Yes they are very top heavy with the likes of Boots and company, but their 3rd and 4th line will have to step up a lot more this year. It's going to be a big question for the Cards this season and the major reason why I had them at third. If the incoming players pick right up, I could easily see them challenging for the SUNYAC title, but if they don't it could be a long season. Watching the highlight movie of Gidaro is jaw dropping. Reminds me a lot of Neil Musselwhite. He will be a power plays worse nightmare. Then you toss in Jensen, Scuglia and a full season with Craig.
            Remy Babineaux
            remyb616@gmail.com
            D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Remy excellent analysis of SUNYAC this year. The only comment I have on Geneseo is it would be great to see them play some of the top teams in New England to fill out there schedule unstead of MASCAC and Northeast teams. Playing at Norwich, Middlebury, or Castleton would be a good test and let a few fans see Geneseo since all three teams draw a lot of fans to games.

Compare Geneseo schedule to Plattsburgh-does Plattsburgh have even one easy game. I consider Skidmore a very good D3 teams and 2 games against Norwich, 1 or 2 against Middlebury, Castleton, and the SUNYAC schedule is very difficult.

Finally I think Plattsburgh will miss Eric Satim very much this year-one of best all around centers I have seen in D3.
              2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
              2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
                Remy excellent analysis of SUNYAC this year. The only comment I have on Geneseo is it would be great to see them play some of the top teams in New England to fill out there schedule unstead of MASCAC and Northeast teams. Playing at Norwich, Middlebury, or Castleton would be a good test and let a few fans see Geneseo since all three teams draw a lot of fans to games.

Compare Geneseo schedule to Plattsburgh-does Plattsburgh have even one easy game. I consider Skidmore a very good D3 teams and 2 games against Norwich, 1 or 2 against Middlebury, Castleton, and the SUNYAC schedule is very difficult.

Finally I think Plattsburgh will miss Eric Satim very much this year-one of best all around centers I have seen in D3.
                I think part of the schedule is the "it takes two to tango"....its a shorter drive (miles wise not time) to Middlebury ect compared to some of their other NC teams. I'm not sure tho a team like Geneseo can afford a chance of 2-3 extra NC loses when playing tough tough teams, especially seeing how good the SUNYAC is becoming. It's another reason you've seen the Cardinal Classic take a dip in competition although this years field of Babson, Utica, and Castleton is nothing to hang their heads over.

Give Geneseo credit they were one of the first "major" conference schools to step up and play Adrian on a regular basis. They also play a home and home with Hobart and another game with Elmira. I know I will be at the Elmira/Oswego game Friday the 21st then Geneseo/Adrian the 22nd.

Plattsburgh will have to find a center who can win the faceoffs late in the game like Satim was able to do. I remember in the Geneseo game I began counting the faceoffs late in the game, Satim won over 75% of them. In a late crutial game, its a major bonus.
                Remy Babineaux
                remyb616@gmail.com
                D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Speaking of Geneseo I didn't realize that it was right next to Rochester which is a long distance from a lot of D3 schools in New England. Going accross I-90 seems to take forever to cross New York State. I would't travel to a game there from Vermont unless my team was playing an NCAA playoff game. Must be quite a long trip for Plattsburgh too. I can see why a lot of the New England D3 powers would decide to play games closer to home.
                  2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
                  2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
                    Speaking of Geneseo I didn't realize that it was right next to Rochester which is a long distance from a lot of D3 schools in New England. Going accross I-90 seems to take forever to cross New York State. I would't travel to a game there from Vermont unless my team was playing an NCAA playoff game. Must be quite a long trip for Plattsburgh too. I can see why a lot of the New England D3 powers would decide to play games closer to home.
                    Plattsburgh makes a trek to Buffalo State/Fredonia every year for SUNYAC play and I'd be willing to guess that's atleast 7-8 hours hours depending on weather.
                    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                      Plattsburgh makes a trek to Buffalo State/Fredonia every year for SUNYAC play and I'd be willing to guess that's atleast 7-8 hours hours depending on weather.
                      A very good 8 hours......I dont remember if it was last year or the year before it took them nearly 12 hours.
                      Remy Babineaux
                      remyb616@gmail.com
                      D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                        When we make the trip it takes us 5 1/2 hours right to Rochester and then only about 45min. to Buffalo. Fredonia is another 45 min. from Buff. Totally, about 7 hours puts us in Fredonia. This is of course, weather permitting. This year the trip falls in early November. As, for Genny, not far at all from Rochester,maybe 20.min. but Brockport takes around 30 min.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                          I pondered the same thought over and over. Geneseo only had 2 seniors in their top 15 overall scoring with the top senior at #9, so the main core of the Ice Knights is back. Manley and Vic will be studs. The departing seniors only made up less then 10% of Geneseo's total offense. A healthy Manley will easily pick up 4-6 more goals to make up the difference. Scagnelli was a first team All-SUNYAC and with the loss of Rizer, Mallaro, and Huinink I would expect to see Yard added in this year. Oswego only had 2 more players with 5 or more points then Geneseo. Yes they are very top heavy with the likes of Boots and company, but their 3rd and 4th line will have to step up a lot more this year. It's going to be a big question for the Cards this season and the major reason why I had them at third. If the incoming players pick right up, I could easily see them challenging for the SUNYAC title, but if they don't it could be a long season. Watching the highlight movie of Gidaro is jaw dropping. Reminds me a lot of Neil Musselwhite. He will be a power plays worse nightmare. Then you toss in Jensen, Scuglia and a full season with Craig.
                          who is Gidaro, must have missed him on theDIII comm. page?? what ya hiding???

Comment

I wouldn't be so quick to predict the Bears to finish that low. Yes the NCAA has "handcuffed" the program, but from what I have heard, Coach Bernard has been working beyond crazy to put his team on the ice for this season. I am looking forward to this season as I know the boys will work hard and give their best every game. I give the Coaches alot of credit for all of their efforts to build the best team possible at this point.
                            LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                              who is Gidaro, must have missed him on theDIII comm. page?? what ya hiding???

Gidaro, and Alex Jensen (Nick's younger brother) are both missing from that page.... I believe there may be a couple others too....
                              Jim Reisdorf
                              Standing on the Rail #59

jim@loremans.com contact me for all your custom embroidery, engraving and screen printing needs! check out our website... www.loremans.com

Romney will be missed by all that have been there for the great match ups between Platty and 'Wego!!!

After Closing out Romney the right way, We opened the new rink the right way.... another loss for the Lakers!

St. Louis is a BUM!!!!

Go Sabres!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X