PDA

View Full Version : Division III College Hockey's Top 10 Rivalries

Pages : [1] 2 3

CardsFan91
02-28-2011, 08:33 PM
In February of 2006, collegehockeynews.com ranked the Top 10 rivalries in Division I college hockey.

The link can be found below.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2006/02/08_top10.php

#10 Alaska-Anchorage vs. Alaska-Fairbanks
#9 Michigan Tech vs. Northern Michigan
#8 Clarkson vs. St. Lawrence
#7 Maine vs. New Hampshire
#6 Minnesota vs. North Dakota
#5 Cornell vs. Harvard
#4 Colorado College vs. Denver
#3 Michigan vs. Michigan State
#2 Minnesota vs. Wisconsin
#1 Boston College vs. Boston University

In your opinion, what are the Top 10 rivalries in Division III hockey?

PrezdeJohnson09
02-28-2011, 09:24 PM
In February of 2006, collegehockeynews.com ranked the Top 10 rivalries in Division I college hockey.

The link can be found below.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2006/02/08_top10.php

#10 Alaska-Anchorage vs. Alaska-Fairbanks
#9 Michigan Tech vs. Northern Michigan
#8 Clarkson vs. St. Lawrence
#7 Maine vs. New Hampshire
#6 Minnesota vs. North Dakota
#5 Cornell vs. Harvard
#4 Colorado College vs. Denver
#3 Michigan vs. Michigan State
#2 Minnesota vs. Wisconsin
#1 Boston College vs. Boston University

In your opinion, what are the Top 10 rivalries in Division III hockey?

I don't know about the west but here are some in the east that would be on the list.

Bowdoin/Colby
Plattsburgh/Oswego
Norwich/Middlebury
Elmira/Manhattanville

Castleton/Norwich will be there soon.

CardsFan91
02-28-2011, 09:30 PM
I don't know about the west but here are some in the east that would be on the list.

Bowdoin/Colby
Plattsburgh/Oswego
Norwich/Middlebury
Elmira/Manhattanville

Castleton/Norwich will be there soon.

Great picks! Is Norwich/Middlebury and/or Plattsburgh/Middlebury worthy of Top 10 status?

PrezdeJohnson09
02-28-2011, 09:32 PM
Great picks! Is Norwich/Middlebury and/or Plattsburgh/Middlebury worthy of Top 10 status?

Elmira/Plattsburgh would have been there 5-10 years ago.

jerrynu26
02-28-2011, 09:48 PM
NU/Midd would be because of the long history.

norm1909
02-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Elmira/Plattsburgh would have been there 5-10 years ago.

5-10 years ago? (http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?64844-The-official-thread-of-quot-The-Rivalry-quot-Plattsburgh-vs-Elmira-1-27-1-28) :confused: :eek: :p ;)

For purple_and_gold10, it might be 5-10! (http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?45386-Elmira-vs-Plattsburgh) ;)

PrezdeJohnson09
02-28-2011, 10:11 PM

BTW- I included Norwich/Middlebury. Did you mean Norwich/Plattsburgh?

CardsFan91
02-28-2011, 10:29 PM
BTW- I included Norwich/Middlebury. Did you mean Norwich/Plattsburgh?

Correct. My bad.

ncaacdn
02-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Ecac W. vs RIT

Dyce
02-28-2011, 11:15 PM
Bemidji/Vacated. Some wild games between those two way back when.

ST.Barcomb
02-28-2011, 11:18 PM
Plattsburgh V oswego
Plattsburgh V Elmira
Plattsburgh V Midleberry
Plattsburgh V Norwich

Dyce
02-28-2011, 11:22 PM
Just guessing on this one, but was Point/UWRF a big deal in the late 80s/early 90s? With one of the two holding the title for most of that span, I'd assume there was some electricity there.

XYZ
02-28-2011, 11:53 PM
Just guessing on this one, but was Point/UWRF a big deal in the late 80s/early 90s? With one of the two holding the title for most of that span, I'd assume there was some electricity there.

Point-Bemidji was a big one for a span in the 80's and early 90's, and included a meeting where the two amassed, I think, 254 penalty minutes. No love lost there. Then the "Big Four" at the time (SNC, UWSP, UWS and UWRF) were all sort of rivals in a way with SNC-UWSP big for a few years until SNC started mopping the floor with Point routinely. UWRF-Stout is a big one locally, but for the past ten plus years my vote for biggest in the NCHA easily goes to SNC-UWS.

St. John's-St. Thomas is a big rivalry in anything, and it wasn't all that long ago they put 4400 in the NHC for their final regular season game.

MCHA has a few young ones brewing, perhaps highlighted by Adrian-MSOE. I don't think those two exactly send Christmas cards to each other.

Birdwatcher
02-28-2011, 11:56 PM
Bemidji/Vacated. Some wild games between those two way back when.

Kind of strange, The NCAA site now shows Plattsburgh as the 1987 champion instead of Vacant. See attached page: http://www.ncaa.com/history/icehockey-men/d3

NUProf
03-01-2011, 06:51 AM
Because nobody has mentioned it, but it used to dominate these boards :

RIT/Elmira

CARDS_rule_the_Burgh
03-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Never stopped to think about it, but it seems like, more often than not, there is a pattern of good rivalries being broken up for one reason or another in DII/DIII Hockey.

Bemidji/Point - Bemidji went DI when DII got cut
RIT/Elmira - RIT went DI
Plattsburgh/Elmira - SUNYAC forced the separation of the conferences. The rivalry lived on, but has faded and is now on life support, if not dead already.
Norwich/Midd - Chance this one could live on, but it's at risk with the end of the interlock.

Anyway, If I had to list them (just from observation, with some participation), I'd say:

Plattsburgh/Oswego
The Primelink triumvirate (NRW/MID, NRW/PLT, PLT/MID)
Bowdoin/Colby
St. Norbert/UW-Superior
UW-Superior/St. Scholastica?
Elmira/Manhattanville
St. Thomas/St. John's
Adrian/MSOE

Yes, I realize that's 11. If I had to eliminate 1, it would be either one of the Platty Primelink rivalries, or UWS/STS.

norm1909
03-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Kind of strange, The NCAA site now shows Plattsburgh as the 1987 champion instead of Vacant. See attached page: http://www.ncaa.com/history/icehockey-men/d3

Or look here. (http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?94172-Plattsburgh-State-Hockey-2010-11-quot-We-still-have-to-fine-tune-some-things...-quot&p=5046150&viewfull=1#post5046150) ;)

Toe Blake's Brother
03-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Never stopped to think about it, but it seems like, more often than not, there is a pattern of good rivalries being broken up for one reason or another in DII/DIII Hockey.

Bemidji/Point - Bemidji went DI when DII got cut
RIT/Elmira - RIT went DI
Plattsburgh/Elmira - SUNYAC forced the separation of the conferences. The rivalry lived on, but has faded and is now on life support, if not dead already.
Norwich/Midd - Chance this one could live on, but it's at risk with the end of the interlock.

Anyway, If I had to list them (just from observation, with some participation), I'd say:

Plattsburgh/Oswego
The Primelink triumvirate (NRW/MID, NRW/PLT, PLT/MID)
Bowdoin/Colby
St. Norbert/UW-Superior
UW-Superior/St. Scholastica?
Elmira/Manhattanville
St. Thomas/St. John's
Adrian/MSOE

Yes, I realize that's 11. If I had to eliminate 1, it would be either one of the Platty Primelink rivalries, or UWS/STS.

Certainly SNC-UWS is correct. You might add SNC-Point when Point was a bit stronger. However, no love lost between the two.

jconnor
03-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Because nobody has mentioned it, but it used to dominate these boards :

RIT/Elmira

I have to agree on this one, much more so than Elmira vs Platty or M'Ville. I'm not so sure that RIT has been replaced really, maybe the Elmira/Oswego home and home each year.

snc1
03-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Certainly SNC-UWS is correct. You might add SNC-Point when Point was a bit stronger. However, no love lost between the two.

My first SNC game was an SNC/Point game. Nov. 6 2002. Classic case of the rivalry back then. 30 penalties with 100+ minutes including a fight after the game that involved SNC's Lenny Rampone. That got me hooked by the way.