mid-season title pick!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mid-season title pick!

So just wanted to have some fun and see who everybody would pick and why.

If you had to choose 1 team to win the national title, right now at the mid-season point, who would it be? Is Oswego the easy pick?Cadets?Plattsburgh?

Let the discussion begin

Re: mid-season title pick!

Tough one...I'm caught between Manhattanville and Plattsburgh.

Before I start catching heat, the reason why I picked Plattsburgh is because they seem to have found their stride, and look good. They seem to play well against pretty tough teams (Oswego, Norwich, Neumann). Manhattanville because of what everyone else is saying. I had a hard time choosing St. Norbert or Williams because of their schedules, and I'm very worried about Oswego without Beckwith.

Comment

Originally posted by sticksnstones View Post
      Tough one...I'm caught between Manhattanville and Plattsburgh.

Before I start catching heat, the reason why I picked Plattsburgh is because they seem to have found their stride, and look good. They seem to play well against pretty tough teams (Oswego, Norwich, Neumann). Manhattanville because of what everyone else is saying. I had a hard time choosing St. Norbert or Williams because of their schedules, and I'm very worried about Oswego without Beckwith.
      SNC has the D to win a title, but if they run into a decent D it might be lights out for the Knights.

Comment

I still think the Lakers are a smart-money pick. Yes, Beckwith's absence has exposed some other flaws, but Oswego is still extremely talented, and Beckwith will be back. And even if he isn't at 100% for a given game, the confidence he instills in his team when he's between the pipes is a major factor as well. My mind is drawn to guys like Nik Sundberg, KGT, or even Bryan Hince: just knowing they were back there seemed to allow their teams to open up the throttle in the attack zone without worrying that every defensive miscue would end up on the scoreboard.
        Go Cards: win or lose, The Better Team.
        A Lot of (Sometimes Tainted) SUNYAC Championships
        A Handful of ECAC West Championships
        A Number of NCAA Appearances, Including Several Trips to the Final Four, Though Some of Them Don't Count
        Some National Championships:
        Women's (THIS YEAR, LAST YEAR, A Couple Years Back, '08, '07)
        Men's (Wow Look at the Time Pass, A While before That)

Comment

Manhattanville.
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

I'm going to say Manhattanville, but if Williams can keep it going, they should easily take over the first place spot before long. They have some good competition coming up in the next month.
            Plattsburgh CARDINALS
            SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
            ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
            NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
            NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
            NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
            NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

A lot can change in 2 months. Most schools have the majority of their conference schedule left. As good as Manhattanville looks right now, what shape are going to be in late February???

Find me a strong team in a medium strength conference that has a good balance at all three positions and a coach who stays calm when the poop hits the spreader, and that's your winner.

SNC
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                I'm going to say Manhattanville, but if Williams can keep it going, they should easily take over the first place spot before long. They have some good competition coming up in the next month.
                When Williams march into Plattsburgh on the 17th of January we will see if they are capable of a big road win.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  A lot can change in 2 months. Most schools have the majority of their conference schedule left. As good as Manhattanville looks right now, what shape are going to be in late February???

Find me a strong team in a medium strength conference that has a good balance at all three positions and a coach who stays calm when the poop hits the spreader, and that's your winner.

SNC
                  Manhattanville is in last place in the ECAC West.
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

And they just ran the field over with a dump truck in Vermont.
                    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                      And they just ran the field over with a dump truck in Vermont.
                      Agreed. I was referring to the strength of the ECAC West. If Neumann would have beat Plattsburgh, the ECAC West would hold every conference's nut sacks in the SOS and OOWP.
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Basing this off absolutely nothing, I'm going to say, Bowdoin.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                          Agreed. I was referring to the strength of the ECAC West. If Neumann would have beat Plattsburgh, the ECAC West would hold every conference's nut sacks in the SOS and OOWP.
                          They might still yet before it's all said and done.

This is sure to come back and bite me squarely in the buttcheeks, but it looks to me like the champion is going to come out of the East. The West still looks like a jumbled up mess. We could run ourselves in circles in the West given who has beaten and lost to who. The West's only saving grace is that the committee might load the bracket so that the West gets 2 teams in the semis due to location.
                          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Oswego, dubiously selected.

There would be some considerable bias going into that pick, but my reasoning is based on a certain Beckwith's return, and the dominant play returning after a mid-season slump - sweep the SUNYAC, and carry on into the NCAA with Paulie in the net finally. This week, and the beginning of conference action, would have to give me some kind of real confidence in such a happening though.

Didn't select Norwich (similar decisive defeat in tourney, at least in the title round, but more losses), Williams (honestly don't know enough about this bunch, but looking good), Plattsburgh (has a tendency to play decent teams with zeal, but there's gotta be weaknesses, with their start in the SUNY) or Bowdoin (I'm still sorting out that mess from last year that resembled a Polar Bear at the CC). St Norberts is a team to be respected and feared, but they have been inactive for quite some time now. Again, I'm from the East, so I don't know SNC hockey, but they would have been my Western pick based solely on their performance up until now.

SNC V OSU for the NCAA Division III National Championship - I would relish that matchup (rematch), if it happened...
                            "To all those graduating with a heart that will forever beat for hockey at a certain place on Lake Ontario...
                            this is for you."
                            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Screw rebuilding - we RELOAD here!

Comment

Norwich.
                              I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Working...
                              X