Moratoriums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moratoriums

Does anyone have any info. on the current(?) moratoriums of colleges moving their athletic program,including hockey, to DIII or to DI.Are the moratoriums still in place, if so, for how long?what would be the time line for gaining aceptance to DI/III.also,any idea what is involved in moving a hockey program,only, to DI
    Thanks

Re: Moratoriums

Originally posted by hawkhockey View Post
    Does anyone have any info. on the current(?) moratoriums of colleges moving their athletic program,including hockey, to DIII or to DI.Are the moratoriums still in place, if so, for how long?what would be the time line for gaining aceptance to DI/III.also,any idea what is involved in moving a hockey program,only, to DI
    Thanks
    DI Moratorium FAQ:

Pertinent Info:
    Q. What is the scheduled duration of the moratorium?
    A. The moratorium is imposed for a four-year period and is scheduled to expire August 9, 2011, prior to the beginning of the 2011-2012 academic year.

Q. What is the scope of the moratorium?
    A. During the four-year period of the moratorium, no institution may begin the NCAA Division I provisional or reclassification membership process, no institution may begin the Division I multidivision membership reclassification process and no new single sport or multisport conference shall be elected to Division I conference membership.

Q. Is it permissible for an institution to begin the exploratory membership process during the moratorium?
    A. No. Institutions may not begin the exploratory year of the provisional or reclassification process during the moratorium. Institutions may start an exploratory year beginning with the 2011-2012 academic year. Petitions to begin the exploratory year during the 2011-12 academic year should be received in the NCAA national office not later than June 1, 2011.
    And in regards to single-sport reclassifications: be wary. In October of 2009, the DI Leadership council gave official support tp the following propsals (among others):
    All potential new members of Division I should enter the division through a five-year “reclassification” process following membership in Division II as described in Bylaw 20.5.1, and only after presenting a bona fide offer of membership from a Division I multisport, voting conference. The sponsoring conference will be expected to provide appropriate guidance and counsel, assist with scheduling, monitor student-athlete well being and enhance accountability during the transition process.
    Action: Based on counsel from Division II, the group agreed that active membership in Division II for five years should be required before beginning a “reclassification” transition to Division I. It was noted that this time period both provides the institution the opportunity to participate fully in Division II, and offers more insight into effects on the student-athlete experience than an immediate transition into, and out of, Division II.
    3 years provision DII + 5 years active DII + 5 years provisional DI = 13 years before your team would be eligible for a championship. And before that final 5 year clock could begin, a conference would need to offer membership.

But, perhaps more importantly, they also supported this proposal:
    The multi-divisional practice permitting a Division II or III institution to designate one men’s and one women’s sport in Division I, except in football or men’s or women’s basketball shall be discontinued upon the completion of the 2010-11 academic year. Division II and III institutions that sponsor sports teams in Division I in 2010-11 may continue to do so in the sports so designated but will forfeit this opportunity permanently if it fails to conduct the sport in Division I in any ensuing academic year. No change is recommended for participation in national collegiate championships.
    If that formally gets passed, then a hockey team wishing to jump up to DI would need to convince their entire athletic department to enter than 13-year DI reclassification process mentioned above... quite the tall order.

As for the DIII moratorium: My understanding of it is that the 2066 DIII Convention approved a cap on DIII membership, which has been reached. This will remain into effect until such a time as the DIII membership sees its end as appropriate and it is cancelled in a future DIII convention. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

"You must spread reputation around...."

Great points! You may also want to look at the effects of a D-III play up school reclassifying back to D-III. IIRC, there is a "cleansing" period before the school can be eligible for a D-III championship.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

More evidence that the current powers of the NCAA view the organization as a marketing group for the megaprograms and don't want to allow smaller schools to be upwardly mobile. Heaven forbid if a small school took some of the glory that rightfully belongs to USC, Notre Dame, Duke or any of them.

Fie on the RITs, RPIs, St. Lawrences, and Colorado Colleges, etc. for trying to usurp the hockey glory that is the birthright of Wisconsin.
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

It is too bad that it is so tough for a good school to play up. Based on the success that RIT had this year I would be interested in seeing schools like Midd, Norwich, and Platty make a run, I know they might not want to, but with the interlock possibly ending and the ECAC East in a tough spot it would be a nice option for Norwich to move up to the Atlantic Hockey. They have the facilities and the funding..... But NCAA has made that virtually impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
            ...hockey glory that is the birthright of Wisconsin.
            Don't you mean Minnesota or Boston?
            “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
            19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdLiner View Post
              It is too bad that it is so tough for a good school to play up. Based on the success that RIT had this year I would be interested in seeing schools like Midd, Norwich, and Platty make a run, I know they might not want to, but with the interlock possibly ending and the ECAC East in a tough spot it would be a nice option for Norwich to move up to the Atlantic Hockey. They have the facilities and the funding..... But NCAA has made that virtually impossible.
              I don't think you will ever see Plattsburgh, or any SUNY school, make the jump up like RIT unless it was the whole athletic program. Those schools don't have the finacial backing with an alumni fund like RIT has to attract kids with out scholarships. If anyone I think Midd could, but thats about it...
              Remy Babineaux
              remyb616@gmail.com
              D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Another little subtlety in all this - all new DI members will have to belong to a conference. No more independents. Once Notre Dame joins the Big Howevermany it is, there won't be any more DI independents.

Comment

Another little subtlety in all this - all new DI members will have to belong to a conference. No more independents. Once Notre Dame joins the Big Howevermany it is, there won't be any more DI independents.
                  In what sport? Notre Dame is a member of the CCHA for hockey and in football for example Army and Navy are still out there as independents as well.
                  “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
                  19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Webb View Post
                    In what sport? Notre Dame is a member of the CCHA for hockey and in football for example Army and Navy are still out there as independents as well.
                    Show how much I care about non-hockey sports. I knew ND was in the CCHA

Comment

No more independents. Once Notre Dame joins the Big Howevermany it is, there won't be any more DI independents.
                      Say hello to Alabama-Huntsville.
                      Scott Biggar
                      WITR - Voice of the RIT Tigers
                      Staff Writer - US College Hockey Online

Comment

Show how much I care about non-hockey sports. I knew ND was in the CCHA
                        Plus, Notre Dame belongs to the Big East in all other sports.
                        Russell Jaslow
                        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                          I don't think you will ever see Plattsburgh, or any SUNY school, make the jump up like RIT unless it was the whole athletic program. Those schools don't have the finacial backing with an alumni fund like RIT has to attract kids with out scholarships. If anyone I think Midd could, but thats about it...
                          And of course Middlebury never would because it goes completely against their philosophy on college athletics. Heck, they wanted a Div. IV.
                          Russell Jaslow
                          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                            Norwich.
                            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                              And of course Middlebury never would because it goes completely against their philosophy on college athletics. Heck, they wanted a Div. IV.
                              Maybe that's what the NESCAC will become ...

Comment

Working...
                              X