8.St. Scholastica
    9.Hamline
    10.Elmira
    11.Adrian
    12.Bowdoin
    13.Amherst
    14.Manhattanville
    15.River Falls

Not too many changes. I thought about dropping Elmira to #12 but kept them at #10.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Re: New Poll Predictions for 2/22

In light of this:

Middlebury vs Plattsburgh WIN 0.7619 1 0.7600 0 OWP 0.5486 0 0.5785 1 OOP 0.5253 1 0.5143 0 H2H 1- 1- 0 0 1- 1- 0 0 COP 3- 1- 1 1 3- 1- 2 0 RNK 6- 2- 2 1 4- 4- 3 0 ============================================ PTS 4 1 ============================================ PWR 15 12

and this:

7 Middlebury* 21 14- 3- 4 0.7619 7 | 0.5433 9 | 0.5192 9 | 6- 2- 2 0.7000 5 8 Gustavus Adolphus* 25 18- 5- 2 0.7600 8 | 0.5042 35 | 0.4950 47 | 4- 2- 0 0.6667 7 9 Plattsburgh* 25 17- 4- 4 0.7600 8 | 0.5762 2 | 0.5103 23 | 4- 4- 3 0.5000 12

Is there any good reason why Plattsburgh should still be ahead of Middlebury?
    from behind the iron curtain...

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy d View Post
      In light of this:

Middlebury vs Plattsburgh WIN 0.7619 1 0.7600 0 OWP 0.5486 0 0.5785 1 OOP 0.5253 1 0.5143 0 H2H 1- 1- 0 0 1- 1- 0 0 COP 3- 1- 1 1 3- 1- 2 0 RNK 6- 2- 2 1 4- 4- 3 0 ============================================ PTS 4 1 ============================================ PWR 15 12

and this:

7 Middlebury* 21 14- 3- 4 0.7619 7 | 0.5433 9 | 0.5192 9 | 6- 2- 2 0.7000 5 8 Gustavus Adolphus* 25 18- 5- 2 0.7600 8 | 0.5042 35 | 0.4950 47 | 4- 2- 0 0.6667 7 9 Plattsburgh* 25 17- 4- 4 0.7600 8 | 0.5762 2 | 0.5103 23 | 4- 4- 3 0.5000 12

Is there any good reason why Plattsburgh should still be ahead of Middlebury?
      Nope!
      Cardinal Women- 2-time Winners of DIII National Championship Games, 35 game undefeated streak
      Cardinal Men- 3-time Winners of DIII National Championship Games

Comment

1.Oswego
        2.Norwich
        3.St. Norbert
        4.Plattsburgh
        5.Middlebury
        6.Gustavus Adolphus
        7.Williams
        8.St. Scholastica
        9.Adrian
        10.Hamline
        11.Bowdoin
        12.Elmira
        13.Amherst
        14.River Falls
        15.Manhattanville

I think that Geneseo's win over Oswego improves the overall strength of the SUNYAC conference a little bit (refer to the NCHA effect). This should keep Plattsburgh ahead of Middlebury and does not hurt Oswego as much as might be suspected. I will be surprised if Norwich is ranked #1 as the selection committee has not been hasty in the past but expect it to be close. I agree with 12th for Elmira although I think your 10th is a better prediction. I think that Adrian will move forward by default. Amherst was hard to place. Same record as Middlebury but recently have been sliding.

Thanks
        Last edited by Frazier; 02-21-2010, 11:49 AM. Reason: Mistake

Comment

Originally posted by Frazier View Post
          I think that Geneseo's win over Oswego improves the overall strength of the SUNYAC conference a little bit (refer to the NCHA effect).
          Err... no.

The SOS of the other two teams is totally unaffected by this. Geneseo's WP goes up, Oswego's WP goes down. Since each team in the league has played both teams twice, the net result is nothing. The only way that this would change anything would be to improve the SOS for teams that played Geneseo in an extra NC game and deflate the SOS for any team that played Oswego in an extra NC game. The net result of all league games is exactly 0.500 in a league that plays a balanced schedule.

This should keep Plattsburgh ahead of Middlebury and does not hurt Oswego as much as might be suspected. I will be surprised if Norwich is ranked #1 as the selection committee has not been hasty in the past but expect it to be close. I agree with 12th for Elmira although I think your 10th is a better prediction. I think that Adrian will move forward by default.

Thanks
          This has nothing to do with the selection committee. They are supposed to look at the data - This poll is coaches and media types voting. Some of them may switch their #1 vote from Oswego to NU, and some of them won't. My guess Oswego will still be #1, but it will be close.
          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
            Err... no.

The SOS of the other two teams is totally unaffected by this. Geneseo's WP goes up, Oswego's WP goes down. Since each team in the league has played both teams twice, the net result is nothing. The only way that this would change anything would be to improve the SOS for teams that played Geneseo in an extra NC game and deflate the SOS for any team that played Oswego in an extra NC game. The net result of all league games is exactly 0.500 in a league that plays a balanced schedule.

This has nothing to do with the selection committee. They are supposed to look at the data - This poll is coaches and media types voting. Some of them may switch their #1 vote from Oswego to NU, and some of them won't. My guess Oswego will still be #1, but it will be close.
            I get the closed system SOS part of in-conference play and was referring to the coaches/media type poll and how Geneseo's win might influence the pollsters perceptions. Sorry I used the wrong terminology by calling it a selection committee. I have learned that these weekly rankings have as much to do with perceptions as with data.

Previously the SUNYAC could be perceived as a couple of strong teams with another reasonably good team, a number of mediocre teams and several weak teams. The pollsters probably surmised that it was not that hard to obtain a strong SUNYAC in-conferece record under those conditions.

Geneseo's win over #1 Oswego may have altered those perceptions a bit. It now appears as if there may be 4 strong SUNYAC teams, arguably 5. My guess is that this new awareness may translate into added "perceptual" weight placed on strong in-conference records, benefiting SUNYAC teams like Plattsburgh and Fredonia.
            But what do I know, probably over thinking it
            Rookie

Comment

Originally posted by Frazier View Post
              I get the closed system SOS part of in-conference play and was referring to the coaches/media type poll and how Geneseo's win might influence the pollsters perceptions. Sorry I used the wrong terminology by calling it a selection committee. I have learned that these weekly rankings have as much to do with perceptions as with data.

Previously the SUNYAC could be perceived as a couple of strong teams with another reasonably good team, a number of mediocre teams and several weak teams. The pollsters probably surmised that it was not that hard to obtain a strong SUNYAC in-conferece record under those conditions.

Geneseo's win over #1 Oswego may have altered those perceptions a bit. It now appears as if there may be 4 strong SUNYAC teams, arguably 5. My guess is that this new awareness may translate into added "perceptual" weight placed on strong in-conference records, benefiting SUNYAC teams like Plattsburgh and Fredonia.
              But what do I know, probably over thinking it
              Rookie
              It's going to take more than one win for that perception to change. It's going to take a strong, consistent 2-3 years from a program to change that perception.
              Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
              2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

1. Norwich
                2. Oswego
                3. St Norbert
                4. Plattsburgh
                5. Middlebury
                6. Gust Adolphus
                7. St Scholastica
                8. Williams
                9. Hamline
                10. Adrian
                11. Bowdoin
                12. Elmira
                13. Amherst
                14. Wis River Falls
                15. Manhattanville

Others receiving votes: Neumann, Fredonia, Wentworth, Marian
                2005-6 ECAC E/NESCAC Last Person Standing Champion
                2006-7 SUNYAC PICK 'EM Champion

OSWEGO STATE GREAT LAKERS
                2006-7 DIII NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

www.greenesalehouse.com

Comment

Originally posted by jabber811 View Post
                  1. Norwich
                  2. Oswego
                  3. St Norbert
                  4. Plattsburgh
                  5. Middlebury
                  6. Gust Adolphus
                  7. St Scholastica
                  8. Williams
                  9. Hamline
                  10. Adrian
                  11. Bowdoin
                  12. Elmira
                  13. Amherst
                  14. Wis River Falls
                  15. Manhattanville

Others receiving votes: Neumann, Fredonia, Wentworth, Marian
                  Jabber, I realize this is your prediction of how the poll will go, not necessarily your rankings, but still, how can Adrian be ranked so high. They have the 58th ranked SOS and a record of 0-3-0 against ranked teams. In my opinion, GA and Hamline are too high also, with SOS rankings of 42 and 35 respectively. Just venting, I know, "It is just an opinion poll".

Comment

Ever seen any of those three play?

Comment

Originally posted by oldguard View Post
                      .........., but still, how can Adrian be ranked so high. They have the 58th ranked SOS and a record of 0-3-0 against ranked teams. In my opinion, GA and Hamline are too high also, with SOS rankings of 42 and 35 respectively. Just venting, I know, "It is just an opinion poll".
                      Good for you venting.....you've got the drift .....that's all it is .....but more importantly it's an opinion poll where your opinion means squat.

Comment

Originally posted by one_to7 View Post
                        Ever seen any of those three play?
                        No, I have not and I certainly was not trying to knock the quality of the teams or their players. As with most posters on this forum, I only get to see a few teams and usually those I am most familiar with. So all I have to go on to form an opinion for teams I have not seen is their records and the quality of their oponents. Based on that, I still stand by my earlier opinion.

Even if I had been able to observe each of the teams in the poll, I certainly would not have been able to see them play each other. Given how differently a team can look depending on who they are playing that day, I am not convinced that seeing them play makes a person a much better judge of their relative talent level. As someone keeps saying, Bill Parcells maybe, "we are what our record says we are".

Comment

Here you go:

Code:
                          USCHO.com Division III Men's Poll

February 22, 2010
                          	Team	(First Place Votes)	Record	Points	Last Poll
                          1	Norwich	(11)	20-1-4	291	2
                          2	Oswego	( 7)	23-2-0	284	1
                          3	St. Norbert	( 2)	19-3-3	264	3
                          4	Plattsburgh		17-4-4	241	4
                          5	Middlebury		16-4-4	207	6
                          6	St. Scholastica		17-4-6	187	5
                          7	Gustavus Adolphus		18-5-2	178	7
                          8	Williams		15-5-3	136	8
                          9	Hamline		16-5-4	128	8
                          10	Bowdoin		17-5-1	122	12
                          11	Elmira		17-7-1	94	10
                          12	Adrian		22-3-0	86	11
                          13	Amherst		16-4-4	76	13
                          14	Manhattanville		18-6-1	48	14
                          15	Wis.-River Falls		17-8-2	39	15
                          Others Receiving Votes: Fredonia 9, Wentworth 4, Marian 3, Neumann 2, Hamilton 1

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/rankings/?data=uscho3m&week=poll#ixzz0gIZV0pve
                          It's nice, albeit meaningless, that both my teams are numero uno.

r

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
                            Here you go:

Code:
                            USCHO.com Division III Men's Poll

February 22, 2010
                            	Team	(First Place Votes)	Record	Points	Last Poll
                            1	Norwich	(11)	20-1-4	291	2
                            2	Oswego	( 7)	23-2-0	284	1
                            3	St. Norbert	( 2)	19-3-3	264	3
                            4	Plattsburgh		17-4-4	241	4
                            5	Middlebury		16-4-4	207	6
                            6	St. Scholastica		17-4-6	187	5
                            7	Gustavus Adolphus		18-5-2	178	7
                            8	Williams		15-5-3	136	8
                            9	Hamline		16-5-4	128	8
                            10	Bowdoin		17-5-1	122	12
                            11	Elmira		17-7-1	94	10
                            12	Adrian		22-3-0	86	11
                            13	Amherst		16-4-4	76	13
                            14	Manhattanville		18-6-1	48	14
                            15	Wis.-River Falls		17-8-2	39	15
                            Others Receiving Votes: Fredonia 9, Wentworth 4, Marian 3, Neumann 2, Hamilton 1

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/rankings/?data=uscho3m&week=poll#ixzz0gIZV0pve
                            It's nice, albeit meaningless, that both my teams are numero uno.

r
                            Looking at the PWC, Oswego got hosed by this meaningless poll. Norwich's ties against Platty and Potty costs NU in the COP, and the loss to Williams hurts them in the RNK category. Oswego still has a better resume - it's a nice honor, but we need to keep going
                            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Now that the regular season is behind us, will there be a USCHO Poll next week?
                              Formerly known as NUSuntan

Comment

Working...
                              X