This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All things Denver XXVI: From Boonetown to Motown

Sixth-seeded Pios hoops wins another game at the Sun Belt Conference tourney tonight, whipping #3 seed Middle Tennessee State (a 19 win team) 73-58. They play North Texas on Monday night, and should they win that game, they play in the title game on Tuesday on ESPN2. Win that game (fourth in four days) and they go the NCAA tournament.

This tourney is wide open, and the Pios are getting hot. Hope they can keep it going!

Comment

DU just landed a recruited walk-on Jarrod Mermis. But the big news is that his younger brother is one of the top 16 year old defensemen in the country. His name "Dakota" & its likely he'll become our third sibling set by 2012.

This news is not going to be popular in Grand Forks.

Now back to Boone with the weather...
      *****http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__Rt973W_blQ/S5QQMO1cIjI/AAAAAAAAI3M/RCNbibSPqmE/s1600/23432_347360221790_673596790_4143592_5571700_n.jpg******
      Last edited by dggoddard; 03-08-2010, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
        DU just landed a recruited walk-on Jarrod Mermis. But the big news is that his younger brother is one of the top 16 year old defensemen in the country. His name "Dakota" & its likely he'll become our third sibling set by 2012.

That's great news!! DG, could you or Boone recap the recruits for us to this point?

2011?
        2012?
        "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
        Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
          That's great news!! DG, could you or Boone recap the recruits for us to this point?

2011?
          2012?
          2010 Recruiting Class
          F Jason Zucker (U.S. Under-18)
          D David Makowski (Green Bay, USHL)
          F Nick Shore (U.S. Under-18)
          F Beau Bennett (Penticton, BCHL)
          F Dan Olszewski (St. Louis, NAHL)
          F Jarrod Mermis (Lincoln, USHL)

2011 Recruiting Class
          D Scott Mayfield (Youngstown, USHL)
          F Zac Larraza (U.S. Under-17)
          G Sam Brittain (Canmore, AJHL)
          F Garrett Allen (Fargo, USHL)
          D Matt Van Voorhis (U.S. Under-17)

2012 Recruiting Class
          F Tyler Pham (Team Illinios)

BTW - nice job by Dmann, Vizoroo and Old Pio on Saturday's game thread as I was away. I enjoyed reading it after getting home yesterday. Looks like I missed a pretty good game.
          Last edited by du78; 03-08-2010, 08:52 AM.
          DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

I posted a comment on your blog about this, but I'll do it here as well.

Reminds me of CC brining in Ian Petersen or UND brining in Ryan Hale, who were both decent players, in order to position themselves to get the younger brothers who were more high-end (Toby Petersen and David Hale). In fact, Jimbo and I had a conversation with Lucia up in Minnesota at the F5 one year and he alluded to us that the only reason he did bring in Ian Petersen was to get Toby.

Comment

No worries, from what I've heard UND is recruiting a walk-on dman by the name of Peter Maves for this fall. The good news is that his younger brother, Pioneer Maves, is a stud forward prospect for 2012, and the Sioux are hoping to land him as well.

I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
                No worries, from what I've heard UND is recruiting a walk-on dman by the name of Peter Maves for this fall. The good news is that his younger brother, Pioneer Maves, is a stud forward prospect for 2012, and the Sioux are hoping to land him as well.

Thanks OK, Daniel "Boone" Doremus committed last week to DU for 2011. I left him off the blog by mistake this morning. And lets not forget that if Dakota Mermis makes the USNDP he'll be attending Pioneer High School in Ann Arbor like all the other USNDT players.

Just a little more info for DU fans on Doremus that I couldn't put in the blog. He has a huge upside and should be a very good player for us. The 2011 class is full of studs. The 2012 class is full of "projects" (except Brittian, who is an NHL A Rated prospect). Kids that still need a year of development, but have huge upside. Consider them unpolished diamonds.
                2010 Recruiting Class
                F Jason Zucker (U.S. Under-18)
                D David Makowski (Green Bay, USHL)
                F Nick Shore (U.S. Under-18)
                F Beau Bennett (Penticton, BCHL)
                F Dan Olszewski (St. Louis, NAHL)
                F Jarrod Mermis (Lincoln, USHL)

2011 Recruiting Class
                D Scott Mayfield (Youngstown, USHL)
                F Zac Larraza (U.S. Under-17)
                G Sam Brittain (Canmore, AJHL)
                F Garrett Allen (Fargo, USHL)
                D Matt Van Voorhis (U.S. Under-17)
                D Daniel Doremus (Colorado Thunderbirds, Tier I)

2012 Recruiting Class

F Tyler Pham (Team Illinios)
                Last edited by dggoddard; 03-08-2010, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Heard a story through the grapevine that the hockey players did a "Boone Cheer" back in Denver late Sat. night after winning the Gold Pan...

Comment

Originally posted by s11r9seat8
                    NCAA Ski Championships this coming weekend at Steamboat. DU has a full team going. The newsletter has a nice picture of Andy LeRoy in a hockey jersey and with a cup of coffee out coaching on the slopes!
                    Thanks for the heads up. Trying to see if we can get Boone up there.

DG

Comment

Originally posted by Mannino Saves View Post
                      Hey DG, how did you get 57 put on your jersey?
                      DU hockey alums did it for me. I may be able to find out a contact name for everyone who wants their throwbacks lettered & numbered.
                      Last edited by dggoddard; 03-08-2010, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post

Reminds me of CC brining in Ian Petersen or UND brining in Ryan Hale, who were both decent players, in order to position themselves to get the younger brothers who were more high-end (Toby Petersen and David Hale). In fact, Jimbo and I had a conversation with Lucia up in Minnesota at the F5 one year and he alluded to us that the only reason he did bring in Ian Petersen was to get Toby.
                        Wasn't there a UNO player who left the team at XMAS when the "younger talented brother" went elsewhere? Certainly there were rumblings about it on USCHO...

Comment

Wasn't there a UNO player who left the team at XMAS when the "younger talented brother" went elsewhere? Certainly there were rumblings about it on USCHO...
                          Yes, McCabe:

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....e-leaves-omaha
                          I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post

"Package deals" are an old and cherished tradition, in sports and in fraternities. What you want to avoid in the latter is pledging "a wimp and a blimp."
                            2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                              "Package deals" are an old and cherished tradition, in sports and in fraternities."
                              I am all for this.

Unless Daddy becomes an assistant coach. Then it reeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                                I am all for this.

Unless Daddy becomes an assistant coach. Then it reeks.
                                I think there's an NCAA rule against that now...

http://community.sportsbubbler.com/b...mers-rule.aspx

Comment

Working...
                                X