This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All things Denver XXVI: From Boonetown to Motown

Make sure and check out USCHO posts/podcast by Eliot Olshansky and Todd Milweski--Both are high on Cheverie as a viable Hobey winner. They both also throw Rakhshani in the mix for Hobey finalist.

Hard for a goalie to win the Hobey (you can blame Ryan Miller for that.) Chevy has back stopped DU all year and Rakhshani has carried the team to victories with clutch goals and assists.

It would be great to see both of them as finalists.
    GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
      Winning all these game makes it hard to crank out my usual pessimism....
      We'll remember you as you were.
      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

This year's senior class is a special one full of quality - on the ice, in the classroom and in the community. I have watched a lot of DU classes come and go, but this is a very special group.

Rhett Rhakshani had offers to leave for the NHL, but stayed around and became the DU captain. With his hands, scoring touch, work ethic and speed, he's going to have a good shot at a pro career. He's also an honor student whose laid-back California personality and leadership training makes him a good leader and captain. Who will forget his force-of-will third period win-the-game natural hat trick at SCSU? Or his MacNaughton-winning goal with 13 seconds left last week? Or his spina-rama-nonchalant-holy-crap goal at the Kohl Center? We will miss him very much.

Tyler Ruegsegger is the straight-arrow, straight-A, Faith-first local-kid-made-good player who has given every ounce of himself on the ice to become a model student athlete. While his outspoken faith may rub some on his team the wrong way, there is no question that his stats and his efforts in a Pioneer uniform have put him into a fan-favorite position. His highlight reel goal vs MSUM has certainly made his skills indelible via you tube. I don't know if he'll get a contract offer from Toronto, due to his skating style and his seemingly never-ending injury history, but he can certainly play at the AHL level, and perhaps, beyond with some hard work. Another guy that's hard to replace.

Matt Glasser is one of those seniors that some might label a bust in terms of his hockey point production, but the guy has been perhaps the hardest-working guy on the ice over his four years at Denver. His feet are always moving, and his yeomen-like work on the lower lines has made him a "glue guy". Another fine student, Glasser does whatever he's asked to do the staff, and is a team guy. We'll miss the effort and personality too..

Brian Gifford is one of those players that had some hype around him as a Mr. Hockey Finalist in Minnesota and he was taken in the 3rd round of the NHL Draft by Pittsburgh. But when he went into the USHL for juniors, his offensive game did not translate to dominance as it did in high school. And by the time he hit Denver, it was pretty obvious that he was destined to be a big-bodied plugger rather than a star. That said, he has accepted his varrying roles over the years, and picked up some key goals in spots. For some reason, Wisconsin was the once team he tended to burn more often. He also got the job done in the classroom, too.

Brandon Vossberg was a limited duty role player from the beginning, but he's made a mark as an energy guy, penalty killer and a hard worker on the forcheck. His humanitarian work also gets him into a special category of players nominated for a national award. which reflects well not only on him, but on the program. Another player who also hit the books hard and set a great example for other players.

Cody Brookwell is one of those quiet players who played a lot of solid stay at home defense over his four years. Popular with teammates, Cody struggled at times on the ice and off the ice to keep up with his more talented and academically gifted teammates. But at the end of the day, he'll be remembered for his on-ice effort level and his rare breakaway backhand goal in his junior year that was his first in a Pioneer uniform. The smile on his face when came back the bench and his teammates obvious joy in his achievement will likely be my best memory of Cody.

Comment

Nice summation of the seniors there Swami.

I am already fired up for tonight's game and it isn't even lunch time.

Drop the puck already!!!!!
          DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

It's time to tame the Kitty Cats!!!!
            GO DU!!!!

ROWDY IN THE FIRST ROW!!!

DU Hockey National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005

Comment

This year's senior class is a special one full of quality - on the ice, in the classroom and in the community. I have watched a lot of DU classes come and go, but this is a very special group.

Rhett Rhakshani had offers to leave for the NHL, but stayed around and became the DU captain. With his hands, scoring touch, work ethic and speed, he's going to have a good shot at a pro career. He's also an honor student whose laid-back California personality and leadership training makes him a good leader and captain. Who will forget his force-of-will third period win-the-game natural hat trick at SCSU? Or his MacNaughton-winning goal with 13 seconds left last week? Or his spina-rama-nonchalant-holy-crap goal at the Kohl Center? We will miss him very much.

Tyler Ruegsegger is the straight-arrow, straight-A, Faith-first local-kid-made-good player who has given every ounce of himself on the ice to become a model student athlete. While his outspoken faith may rub some on his team the wrong way, there is no question that his stats and his efforts in a Pioneer uniform have put him into a fan-favorite position. His highlight reel goal vs MSUM has certainly made his skills indelible via you tube. I don't know if he'll get a contract offer from Toronto, due to his skating style and his seemingly never-ending injury history, but he can certainly play at the AHL level, and perhaps, beyond with some hard work. Another guy that's hard to replace.

Matt Glasser is one of those seniors that some might label a bust in terms of his hockey point production, but the guy has been perhaps the hardest-working guy on the ice over his four years at Denver. His feet are always moving, and his yeomen-like work on the lower lines has made him a "glue guy". Another fine student, Glasser does whatever he's asked to do the staff, and is a team guy. We'll miss the effort and personality too..

Brian Gifford is one of those players that had some hype around him as a Mr. Hockey Finalist in Minnesota and he was taken in the 3rd round of the NHL Draft by Pittsburgh. But when he went into the USHL for juniors, his offensive game did not translate to dominance as it did in high school. And by the time he hit Denver, it was pretty obvious that he was destined to be a big-bodied plugger rather than a star. That said, he has accepted his varrying roles over the years, and picked up some key goals in spots. For some reason, Wisconsin was the once team he tended to burn more often. He also got the job done in the classroom, too.

Brandon Vossberg was a limited duty role player from the beginning, but he's made a mark as an energy guy, penalty killer and a hard worker on the forcheck. His humanitarian work also gets him into a special category of players nominated for a national award. which reflects well not only on him, but on the program. Another player who also hit the books hard and set a great example for other players.

Cody Brookwell is one of those quiet players who played a lot of solid stay at home defense over his four years. Popular with teammates, Cody struggled at times on the ice and off the ice to keep up with his more talented and academically gifted teammates. But at the end of the day, he'll be remembered for his on-ice effort level and his rare breakaway backhand goal in his junior year that was his first in a Pioneer uniform. The smile on his face when came back the bench and his teammates obvious joy in his achievement will likely be my best memory of Cody.
              Swami, you captured the Class of 2010. And this Class has C L A S S !

Brookwell and Vossberg have stepped up their games. Since the Minnesota games at Magness they have been on fire. They both scored against the Gophs and their energy was contagious. And it hasn't stopped. If Brookwell gets 2 more points this year he will match his career points total. And he has 2, yes 2, goals this year.

Gifford and Glasser--what a pair. Hard to think of one without the other. Seems like they have been on the ice together like forever. I know they have played on different lines this year, but when their line came on the ice--hard working, blue collar and strong came to mind.

Rakhshani and Ruegsegger--RnR, Rock and Ruegs--again hard to think of one without the other. Both are leaders and scholars. Both played for Team USA. Both are in the Century Club.

The Rakh Trick and the Rubberband Man.

When DU need to jump start the offense, one or both put the puck in the net. Ruegs' Magness Leap into the glass after scoring a goal is a classic in my mind. Rakh's OT goal to clinch the MacNaughton--another classic. It has been great to see Ruegs play healthy all year. And Rhett has been the Captain and the Rock of the Team. The difference between them--look at the way they skate. Rakh makes it look easy; Ruegs makes it look hard.
              But they both get it done.

Hats off to the Class of 2010

D-Rah!
              GO DU !!!

Comment

bump!! Come on people it's game day!!!
                "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                Tom Serratore

Comment

Hey, A Shot and a Goal, I tried to rep you back, but I need to spread the joy to a few others first. So, consider this your end of the week rep!

Go DU. Beat CC.
                  "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                    bump!! Come on people it's game day!!!
                    I hope you are well stocked up for this evening

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                      Hey, A Shot and a Goal, I tried to rep you back, but I need to spread the joy to a few others first. So, consider this your end of the week rep!

Go DU. Beat CC.
                      Thanks. Have a good weekend JJ.
                      sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
                        This afternoon Tyler Ruegsegger won the lemon. Chris Knowlton the orange, after taking the lemon last week.
                        So does Ruegs get pizzed off at winning the lemon in his last regular season home game of his senior year and get a hatty tonight.

Comment

I'm so stoked! I was able to score a ticket for tonight and for tomorrow night! It'll be great to be back for both games.

LET'S GO DENVER!!!

CHEATAH STEW tonight!!! Lets win the Gold Pan.....and lose it again!!!
                          Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
                          www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Winning all these game makes it hard to crank out my usual pessimism....
                            I noticed that Swam....Whats wrong??? That Canadian air at the Olympics make you turn nice on us???
                            Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
                            www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

This afternoon Tyler Ruegsegger won the lemon. Chris Knowlton the orange, after taking the lemon last week.
                              Originally posted by du78 View Post
                              So does Ruegs get pizzed off at winning the lemon in his last regular season home game of his senior year and get a hatty tonight.
                              Chris Knowlton has been the biggest positive surprise of the Freshmen.

I am sure Ruegs will be motivated to tame the tiggies tonight!
                              How about a repeat of the Rubberband Man as part of the hat trick?
                              GO DU !!!

Comment

Just for the sake of discussion, let's say the U.S. men's hockey team wins a medal [pick a medal, any medal] in Vancouver.

Denver will play home games on Friday March 5th, Friday March 12th, Saturday March 13th and Sunday March 14th [if necessary].

The Colorado Avs play at Phoenix on Thursday March 4th, would fly home that night and be in Denver Friday March 5th before playing at home on Saturday March 6th against Saint Louis. The Avs play at home on Thursday March 11th against Florida. The Avs would be in Denver on Friday March 12th before flying to Dallas on Saturday the 13th to play the Stars on Sunday the 14th.

Again, the Avs would be in Denver on both Friday March 5th and Friday March 12th. On the first date Denver plays CC and on the second date Denver plays its first round opponent in the WCHA playoffs.

Pick a date, either date. Here's a possible scenario. The teams skate on to the ice for pre-game introductions. The players' names are announced over the public address system. The national anthem is played and/or sung by that evening's performers. While the lights remain dimmed, an announcement is made directing all fans to turn their attention to the Northeast corner of the ice surface, to the doors through which the Zambonis enter and leave the ice surface. The doors swing open, and a figure wearing his U.S.A. men's Olympic hockey jersey, with his recently won gold/silver/bronze medal around his neck, skates on to the ice while the public address announcers asks the crowd to give a warm welcome to former Denver Pioneer star and recent gold/silver/bronze medal winner: Paul Stastny. As I say it's just one possible scenario.
                                As I was saying....
                                sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Working...
                                X