X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All things Denver XXVI: From Boonetown to Motown

Originally posted by co14ers View Post
    I'll be on tonight for sure. In fact, I'm leaving work early to get things done to make sure there is nothing for me to do but watch this game.
    Is this a Beef Stroganoff in a box night?

Hockey's Future has Drew Shore as the Florida Panthers top college forward in their system and Chevy as their top college goalie. This excludes CHL and European players.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...spects_update/
    Last edited by du78; 01-22-2010, 01:25 PM.
    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
      Is this a Beef Stroganoff in a box night?

Hockey's Future has Drew Shore as the Florida Panthers top college forward in their system and Chevy as their top college goalie. This excludes CHL and European players.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...spects_update/
      Didn't seem impressed with John Lee as the #3 Defenseman.
      Seems Shore and Lee will be at DU next year, but depending on the other goalies.... Hopefully they already have a couple of good ones in the pipeline and we see Chevy wearing the Crimson and Gold next year.
      GO DU !!!

Comment

No strogabox, but I'll be on, with Crown Royal and optimism.
        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
          No strogabox, but I'll be on, with Crown Royal and optimism.
          No watering down the Crown Royal or you will be assessed a game misconduct for ruining a high quality liquor.

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

Big time Props for The Rakh! Yesterday Inch had him as one of the top three candidates for the Hobey and today CHN has a feature story.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new..._rakhshani.php
            GO DU !!!

Comment

I got that pre-game, pit-of-the-stomach feeling right now.

On one hand, I am nervous becuase UW is terrific, we are due to lose there and we have a suspect third-d-pairing tonight with Ryder and Wrenn suspended.

On the other had, I am thrilled becuase our team is terrific, they've done well in that building and the seem to play their best hockey against good competition.

Drop the puck.

Comment

DU is going need to do better than 23 shots if they want points on Saturday, and they are going to need to amp up the intensity level. The Pios were outworked and were lucky to get a tie tonight, as UW played with more desperation.

Having Ryder back should help on the blueline with the hitting.

Comment

DU stays in 2nd 1 point behind UMD with one game in hand. SCSU 2 points behind DU and Wisconsin stays 3 points behind DU. CC still 3 points behind DU but if they beat UAA tonight, they will be only 1 point behind. A very tight race for the MacNaughton. DU still tied for #1 in PWR with Miami but they will be playing tonight in Fairbanks.

Gwoz in the Post Game - DU gave up the 3 goals in a span of four and a half minutes in the 3rd period. Gwoz couldn't believe DU couldn't bury any of those pucks in the OT. DU was bad on face-offs and did a good job on the PK. Gwoz will take the point. Should be a good game tomorrow night. Gwoz flip-flopped Ostrow and Maiani on the PP in the 3rd and Anthony came up big with that late goal just as the PP expired. Will make the decision on who the 6 d will be for tomorrow's game in the morning. Likes having the luxury of having an 8 man deep defense.

Denver outshot the Badgers 4-0 in the OT and never mustered more than 7 shots in a period in regulation.
                  Last edited by du78; 01-22-2010, 10:23 PM.

Comment

CC cruisng with a 4-0 lead over UAA in the 3rd and Miami and Fairbanks are tied at one in the 3rd.

Comment

The Good: DU's goals last night were all teriffic goals. Colborne's shot up under the crossbar was an NHL power play goal - perfect spot. Ostrow's tip in made it to Sports Center as the #3 play of the day, and Maiani's goal was another top-shelf water-bottle popper with under two minutes to go.. Having enough guts to come back an tie the game in a hostile environment late shows that Denver is a good team when they want to be.

The Bad: Allowing the Badgers to come roaring back with three unanswered in the third period. DU took their foot off the gas, sat back, lost assignments and got caught chasing a Badger team that was in all the right spots to score those goals. DU's had some problems with holding leads all year, and seem to play better when they are behind. This is a matter of mindset, and this is something that must be corrected.

The Ugly: Inconsistent effort across the board. Wisconsin was more aggressive, had more shots and dictated play for the most part. DU was getting beat to loose pucks and scored its first two goals against the run of play. The best sustained stretch for Denver was in the OT, where they had four shots on goal, but could not find the back of the net. Had they won that game, it would have been grand larceny.

Tonight, we need to see a better effort from the Pios. Move your feet, boys.

Comment

Brett Skinner called up by Avalanche yesterday, but did not play in last night's game.

Comment

prebump!!

I have to say 2 things:

1- I thought the DU power play looked awesome last night.
                          2- DU looked soooo good in overtime, I think they will bring it tonight!

3 points for the weekend!!
                          "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                          Tom Serratore

Comment

The DU key for tonight is Rakhshani and Ruegsegger. Both players were on the ice for 2 of the 3 Wisconsin goals last night, and did not contribute to any of the DU goals, as they were shut down by Wisconsin. Your big Seniors need to step up in big games.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                              The DU key for tonight is Rakhshani and Ruegsegger. Both players were on the ice for 2 of the 3 Wisconsin goals last night, and did not contribute to any of the DU goals, as they were shut down by Wisconsin. Your big Seniors need to step up in big games.
                              Weren't they on the ice for Colborne's goal or did he score that on a line change?

Scratch that, I just checked the box score and Shore and Martin were out there with him.
                              Last edited by du78; 01-23-2010, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Okay. Time to re-assess the Pioneeers and where they are headed.

Optimists will point to the fact that Wisconsin was due on home ice after all the beatings inflicted by the Pios at the Kohl Center, that DU was just one goal behind Wisconsin all weekend, that DU had some character-led fight-backs and that the season is a long one and teams don't always win every weekend. I am fine with all of that rationalization, but I think the underside of this one point weekend is more systemic and needs to be addressed.

1) Offense: DU has been a three goal per game offense all season, and stayed true to that course this weekend. That's fine when the goalie only lets in two per game, but as we've seen against good teams, the defense breaks down and Chevy can easily let in three or more from time to time, resulting in losses. DU needs more scoring balance from the lower lines, but has not received it all year. With the new media timeouts this year, teams can rest top lines more, and it means that without scoring balance, your team is doomed in the long term. Whether it means shaking up the lines again, or figuring something else out, DU needs more offensive production. Now.

2) Adjustments: We've all seen how DU has yet to lose on Fridays, but Saturdays are where the losses are. This team needs to do a better job of adjusting from Friday to Saturday. Playoff success is built on stringing to gether wins on back to back nights, boys. Gotta start doing that.

3) Complacency: This is the one area that really perplexes me from game to game, series to series and even year to year in the last 5 years since the national championship teams. In the last five years, DU has increased its talent level on the ice and in the classroom, which is nice. But common to all these post-NC teams is a fundamental softness and lack of hunger -I call it complacency. The 04 NC team developed that hunger in the second half of the season where they willed themselves to a title, and the 05 team sustained it from wire to wire. But since then, talented DU teams have not been able to generate the effort level that is required to win consistently and missing the NCAAs or early exits are the result. Sure injuries and early departures have hurt, but those things happen to all good programs. All of these post 05 DU teams were talented enough to do better, but a certain sense of complacency seems to be the underlying thread that unites all of these teams. These guys practice all week for the games, and yet when the game comes, clearly some guys are not putting out 100% effort and the team suffers, resulting in a disappointing end. As I've said multiple times, I can handle losing when the team gives their best. But when your team is outworked, it's very frustrating to watch.

I know that DU can't win the NC every year. But I would love to see more consistent hunger, moving of feet, and maximum physical and mental effort from our boys.

Comment

Working...
                                X